The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should we treat stupidity as a disability?

Should we treat stupidity as a disability?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
As we age we all sometimes think we are getting a bit thick maybe we are but I place no value in the thought some are stupid.
Oh OK one poster who shows more than average symptoms gets my vote.
Good luck in Charlton Stu.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 19 August 2007 6:36:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stevenlmeyer,
My apologiese, I was not aware that a persons mental stability, education or plain awareness of everyday life was based on quotes from the good book. I was just wondering if your vocabulary derived from same? Surely as and if, a man of the cloth, you cannot be so naive as to base your life on the writings made over 2000 years ago, surely not in this day and age. Don't forget, in those days, an educated person was a person who had travelled no further than the next mountain top, so to speak, and could not wait to return to relate his travels to his people.
Think on this as todays technology and human mentality, find it quite difficult to live a life as one did in the days of the good book.
Posted by SPANKY, Tuesday, 21 August 2007 4:19:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you are going to give people disability beneifts for being stupid, why not tax people for being smart?

What other human qualities can we rate as disabilities? What about ugliness? Shortness? Gender? Moodiness? Stinkyness? etc.

Sure these examples sound a little silly, but each of them in one way or another is, or in some circumstances at least, a disabling condition.

Take the first example. People are without a doubt, prejudiced against ugly people. Being ugly reduces your social opportunities, impairs your prospects in job interviews and for promotion, reduces your confidence and worst of all, limits your chances of getting laid. All of which is no fault of your own. Shouldn't we legislate, against such discrimination just as we have for gender and racial discrimination. Aren't ugly people entitled to be treated equally also? Shouldn't they be entitled to some partial disability pension to make up for lost opportunities that arise through the unjust social prejudice they suffer.

Just how far should we go trying to right the 'wrong's' of nature. Life isn't fair. Some of us are stupid, some of us are ugly, some of black, some of us are short, slow, strong. All of us are of one gender or another. All of these things are natural disadvantages in certain circumstances. How far should we go to 'fix' these inequities in order to make a fairer world?
Posted by Kalin1, Thursday, 23 August 2007 2:27:32 PM
Kahlin,
No need to "fix" them ,Better to accept them .

The smart Good Lord was quite happy to put a couple of everything,smart or smelly , on the Ark .
Posted by kartiya jim, Thursday, 23 August 2007 11:24:47 PM
Kalin1,

In fact we do tax people for being smart. Smart people tend to have higher incomes than stupid people and we tax them accordingly.

I take your point though. There are many characteristics that impede people. Perhaps if I were not a bald ugly I would be richer. So should ugliness or baldness be treated as a disability? Where do we stop?

Nonetheless I think there is a reason for singling out stupidity in 21st Century Australia. People with even average smarts can mitigate the effects of ugliness or unattractive bodily features. People who are inherently stupid are generally unable to do so.

In fact the tragedy of inherent stupidity is that it magnifies the effects of other disadvantages.

I want to stress again that I am talking about inherent stupidity, slow-wittedness if you like. I am not proposing to pay a disability pension to smart people doing stupid things.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 24 August 2007 6:44:54 PM
Stevenlmyer,
Perhaps, instead of taxing smart people doing smart things, we should tax the smart people doing stupid things.

These taxes to pay for the pensions of stupid people doing stupid things .
Posted by kartiya jim, Saturday, 25 August 2007 12:24:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy