The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should we treat stupidity as a disability?

Should we treat stupidity as a disability?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
"Stupid" has become an epithet. We often call those who disagree with our point of view "stupid" as in "That stupid John Howard got us embroiled in Iraq."

I am using the word "stupid" as a neutral adjective. By "stupid" I mean someone who is, to borrow a phrase from my youth, "slow witted."

Political correctness aside, we have unequal endowments of mental capacity. Some people are simply unable to analyse situations and respond appropriately. Some of us, with the best will in the world, will never acquire skills that enable us to earn a decent income. Some of us are, to be blunt, stupid.

There was a time not too long ago when a strong back and a willing pair of hands was enough to enable you to earn a moderately comfortable living. In 21st Century Australia that is no longer the case. Unless you possess a certain mental agility it is not possible to provide for yourself or your family.

This is not something that can be wished away. It is a reality of 21st Century life.

If you are severely mentally impaired you are classified as disabled.

Should we consider someone who is mentally "slow" to be partially disabled and entitled to a PARTIAL disability pension?

Just a thought?
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 14 August 2007 7:30:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What constitutes "mentally impaired"?
I was a high scholastic achiever who earned admirable degrees of education.
I can write you a witty poem in perfect iambic pentameter very quickly after recieving your criteria.
Yet, if you give me road directions to find a place I will still get lost. Am I mentally impaired?
Posted by Goddess, Wednesday, 15 August 2007 12:46:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think we need schools to teach people basic skills of being more able to handle their own affairs.
I do hear what you are saying and this is a good thread.
Abused women mostly need help because they were never allowed to make choices or be reasonsible for themselves
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 15 August 2007 1:26:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is supposedly politically incorrect to suggest any form of special or separate education...all children are supposedly able to be catered for in the mainstream or 'normal' classroom. I suspect that this actually holds all children back from achieving more of their potential. It is a convenient, short term means of saving money in education - but we all pay for it later.
But, if stupidity is a disability then we must all qualify as disabled because we all do stupid things at times. All of us are also unable to do some things...I doubt Terry Tao could act as interpreter in seven different languages at the highest level. I have a friend who can but she would be struggling to understand maths at Terry's level. Does that make each of them, in their own way, disabled or stupid? Am I stupid because I cannot fly a Jumbo?
So, what do we mean by stupid?
Posted by Communicat, Wednesday, 15 August 2007 4:28:44 PM
Perhaps we should, but would it mean that most politicians would be entitled to a disability pension as well as their Parliamentary one?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 15 August 2007 7:04:22 PM
Steven it is already happening.We have 700,000 people on DSP.Many long term unemployed dwell there.That is one of the reasons why we have such record unemployment.Over the years,they have simply been reclassified.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 15 August 2007 9:04:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy