The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Online bullying here - too much of it or limiting free speech?

Online bullying here - too much of it or limiting free speech?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Victimhood itself is a subtle form of bullying. Literature on the subject often describes as 'crybullies' those people who accuse people who hold opposing opinions of being bullies. There is power in victimhood if you can con others into feeling sorry for you.

Hasbeen has made the point that Nathan has named only people who don't share his views. It's obvious that Nathan can't tell the difference between differences of opinion and bullying. Very unworldly.

No, Nathan, you not "limiting free speech" because you don't have that power; you would like to stop people from saying things you don't want to hear, but it isn't going to happen. By the way: two of the people you accuse don't post here anymore.

And, as you have no compunction about naming people, I am relaxed about calling you a crybully.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 23 November 2019 11:34:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bullying has been on my mind lately. Wondering if it's actually gotten any worse then it use to be, or if people are no longer taught how to deal with it any more. The solution I keep hearing is to get rid of bullies because that is the problem. But it's been years since I've heard on TV or otherwise how to deal with being bullied.

This has been on my mind because in the US there are too many shootings at schools. Sometimes the shooters are remembered as someone who was bullied, or felt like a victim and wrote about it in a blog or something. Other times they were remembered as just a quiet person. Perhaps more going on underneath then people knew. With or without guns, I keep heRing how bad bullying is nowadays, and I have to wonder, is it really any worse then it use to be?

I don't think being picked on, called out, mocked, or disagreed with will be behaviors that go away. (Expecially on the Internet). What we should do is learn how to deal with them, and manage them. And teach that to our kids. Too much victimhood feelings instead of actually dealing with it in a healthy way.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Sunday, 24 November 2019 4:03:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan some bully because they are bullied, in real life?
Some do not have the verbal skills to put a case so?
Some do not know they are bullies, age has its limitations
And? some are just plain nasty
You tell us quite rightly, we need boundaries, you are far from the first to say so
ONLINE comments right across the board are not setting a standard by that I say every place and highlight facebook ext
Once here we had a Teacher in China [Australian I think] she told us how rude her students found us
Even GY a long time ago, commented about how rude we get here
And we do, rest assured you are right, ignore the ageing insulters, ignore the nasty by nature ones too
And thank you for just being yourself
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 24 November 2019 6:12:12 AM
There's a massive difference between bullying & feigned indignation & social ineptness !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 24 November 2019 7:29:25 AM
NathanJ if you think there is bullying here, you should have tried school in the 40s.

Due to dads job we moved a lot, I went to 14 schools in 7 years. In every new school, like any new kid, I would be picked on by the class or grade bully. I got more than a few bashings.

Dad who was a division boxing champion in the air force then taught me to box, then to fight. With this skill I could take out the bully fairly easily. Then the followers had no idea what to do, when I was not interested in becoming the new bully.

School bullying is much less today than it was back then. As for on line bullying, that is so easy to avoid, just give the forum you feel bullied on a miss. You can't be bullied by someone if you don't read their stuff.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 24 November 2019 10:08:20 AM
NathanJ

I can't believe anybody would be so stupid posting this subject here. But you did.

There you go, is that bullying, or simply responding to what I determine in my life to be homosexual behaviour, deserving of a biff under the ear?

Toughen up sunshine, as my old Papa would say, having served through two world wars and a depression during which he lost his farm.

Things are bad but they could be worse!

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 24 November 2019 10:38:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy