The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Japan Resumes Commercial Whaling.

Japan Resumes Commercial Whaling.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
The Japanese plan on catching three types of whales:

1. Minke - world-wide population at least 1,000,000. Japan plans on taking about 100 p.a.

2. Bryde's whale - population about 100,000. Japan plans on taking about 500 p.a.

3. Sei whale -population about 100,000. Japan plans on taking about 50 p.a.

This isn't about protecting the whale population, its about virtue signalling to the snowflakes in the west.

Japan has a different view on the whales than we do. Why are we trying to impose our view on them? Cultural appropriation and all that? We are all so tolerant except to those who engage in wrong-think.

Its commercial whaling. If, as the virtual signallers assert, there is no market for whale meat, then those doing the whaling will loose money and stop it.

Whales, dolphins et al have nice little turned up mouths as though they are smiling. Oh how cute. How could anyone eat them. That's the level of 'thought' here.

On a total unrelated subject I had a veal for dinner last night. And my dog had a tin of food based on kangaroo meat.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 5 July 2019 1:28:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks mhaze for the numbers
You will be confronted to find me on your side
But you highlight very little damage will be done while the numbers and place they catch them remains
A true Conservationist I am aware some campaigns do more harm than good
See Joe and Jane average, once told the figures, will regard other campaigns as not worth supporting
After all, if they come for my fishing rods they will need guns
Patches beach and airport beach here I come, soon
Posted by Belly, Friday, 5 July 2019 3:33:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear mhaze,

Yuo write;

“Japan has a different view on the whales than we do. Why are we trying to impose our view on them? Cultural appropriation and all that? We are all so tolerant except to those who engage in wrong-think.”

Cultural? Rubbish.

That is because of a singular event, WW2. Whaling in japan had faded about as much as it had in the US, England and even Australia. But given the severe protein shortages brought on by the war whale meat became a primary source and was included in the school lunches on many of the nation's children. The differences in demographics regarding whale meat consumption is almost fully explain by the nostalgia factor of the war children. Once this demographic really starts to thin then consumption is likely to decline much faster.

If you want to try and make the point that war period consumption created a cultural aspect then you are on very thin ice. There are groups within Japan which are furiously virtue signalling the nationalistic benefits of thumbing their noses at the world community through the resumption of whaling. This will just gee up another bunch of hard right wingers.

And what happens when the huge Chinese factory ships turn their attention to whales? Why? Because the Japanese are doing it. Then see the numbers crash.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 5 July 2019 4:25:37 PM
SR,

Please, you're killing me. What a nong.

"That is because of a singular event, WW2. Whaling in japan had faded about as much as it had in the US, England and even Australia."

Its so silly, so a-historic that I really can't bring myself to point out just how ludicrous you're assertions are. I'll let others do it...

http://dickrussell.org/2006/06/27/the-truth-about-traditional-japanese-whaling/

Struth what a dill.
Is it really so hard to just go and do 30 minutes research before shoving your foot in your mouth.

The only good thing here is we'll get another episode of SR's gymnastics as he tries to prove that black is white
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 5 July 2019 5:46:19 PM
Dear mhaze,

You really are a goose aren't you.

You have just posted a link to something which completely supports my argument.

You: “Japan has a different view on the whales than we do. Why are we trying to impose our view on them? Cultural appropriation and all that? We are all so tolerant except to those who engage in wrong-think.”

Me: “Cultural? Rubbish!"

Article: “There were a few isolated Japanese villages that had killed whales in the past, but Japan as a whole demonstrated very little interest in whaling until a man named Jura Oka made his way to Norway, the Azores and Newfoundland in the mid 1890’s to study whaling. He learned whaling and purchased the equipment from the Norwegians and modern whaling began in Japan in 1898.”

Me: “That is because of a singular event, WW2. Whaling in japan had faded about as much as it had in the US, England and even Australia.”

Article: “Luckily for the whales, humans turned to slaughtering each other in 1939 and this represented a 6 year reprieve from slaughter for the Cetacean nation.” and “The war was the most significant conservation measure to stop the slaughter. One third of all whaling ships were destroyed in the conflict.”

Me: “But given the severe protein shortages brought on by the war whale meat became a primary source and was included in the school lunches on many of the nation's children. The differences in demographics regarding whale meat consumption is almost fully explain by the nostalgia factor of the war children.”

Another article: “As the country built up its devastated economy, the American occupation authority encouraged the use of whale as a cheap source of protein. The meat found its way into lunches at schools across the nation, a practice that ended in 1987. “
http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/indepth/japan-resumes-commercial-whaling-but-is-there-an-appetite-for-it/ar-AADIBod

You really aren't very good at this are you.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 5 July 2019 6:10:49 PM
Steele,

Admirable restraint there.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 5 July 2019 7:39:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy