The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lower interest rates good or bad?

Lower interest rates good or bad?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/rates-could-fall-as-low-as-0-5-percent-amid-warnings-of-gfc-like-slowdown-20190529-p51sdd.html
Posted the link the basis it adds to the discusion
It say interest rate here could go as low as point five perecent.
And talks about the world economy in general
Well worth the read
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 29 May 2019 4:30:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From my observations I found that this deposit for a house argument is somewhat misrepresented.
Many young Australians travel overseas as much as they can & when the dough runs out they come home again. Now, just think if they used that travel money for a deposit for a block of land/hous/apartment ectc. Would it still be too difficult for them ? The real problem is not affordability, the problem is not wanting to spend the money on property but travel instead !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 29 May 2019 4:44:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Again Hassy your senility cuts in, and lack of comprehension.

//Always the down trodden by the evil landlord//

It was Individual who said "Homes should not be allowed to be an investment other than a roof over your head."

The only thing worse than an old fool is a silly old fool, and you demonstrate that time and again on this Forum.

Now direct you barb in the right direction, or are you to gutless as usual.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 29 May 2019 5:35:15 PM
Well indy you get a bit far out in that post, very much doubt those saving for a home are the people traveling overseas
In fact they in my view, are the ones living a simple quiet life to save money
Hasbeen again see,s a world that exists only in his head, not the real one
This morning's walk in the print media, seems to point to a steadying in house prices, not continuing falls
Will it stabilise? or will it continue to grow again?
Will very very low interest rates feed a price rise or just let more borrow
And will borrowing at low interest let homeowners just suffer more if the rates return to higher levels
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 30 May 2019 6:19:18 AM
Hi Belly,

I don't think a lot of people understand the cost of living pressure young families are under when trying to save for a home deposit. I hate to bring up family business, but for instance the daughter, their 10 year old car, the alternator went this week. Yesterday the mechanic come up with $1500 worth of work that needs doing. Sell the old car, buy a newer one? The $130 school shoes Mum and I bought the young bloke at the beginning of the year, falling apart need replacing, the $25 K-mart specials don't suit his wide foot. Every week there seems to be some unexpected cost put on them. I can see how hard it is, even with good jobs to save for a deposit.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 30 May 2019 8:34:35 AM
What kind of stupid are you Paul. I guess any green must be stupid to start with.

Your post is exactly what I said. Low interest rates are pretty bad for retirees, but great for kids trying to pay off a home, run a couple of cars, & bring up kids.

Currently you lefties expect them to support so many bureaucrats, welfare recipients & a huge academia, they need all the help they can get. These interest rates help, but getting some bludgers off their back would also help.

We oldies can get by without oversees trips & the like, but kids need shoes, shirts & in large cities a lot of transport.

Tell your daughter to take a TAFE home mechanics course. She at least would learn enough to know if some mechanic was ripping her off. Knowing a bit about cars is rather useful. 17 years ago I bought a couple of wreck 1980 Triumphs for $1200, & spent a year, & very little money turning them into one reasonable car. I joined the club & it is amazing how many are happy to help with the things you know nothing about.

10 years & 75,000 kilometres later I spent another 5 months turning it into a really nice car. It was now too good for shopping centre car parks, so I bought at auction a hail damaged, low mileage Mazda for not much more than the train fare to go to pick it up. 7 years & 60,000 later I bought the first repair parts it's needed, a pair of bushes for $46.

Continued
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 30 May 2019 10:49:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12