The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lower interest rates good or bad?

Lower interest rates good or bad?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Bad. Very bad. Low interest rates are a sign of a moribund economy - one few would wish to invest in. Low interest rates encourage people who are already spendthrifts to spend more; it's a crude bludgeon rather than a sophisticated economic tool. And, of course, it penalises pensioners and self-funded retirees relying on whatever savings they have put aside. The elites - the bludgers who come up with such stupidity - are not affected, of course.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 9:38:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

If the interest rates were never lowered -
the rates would continue to rise beyond
reasonable limits and people wouldn't
borrow.
The banks need to lower the interest rates
so that people can borrow. That's what makes
the economy go round.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 9:49:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Those that have paid their way?
Let me tell you about a young man, he returned home on the death of his dad [who was 54 years old]
He had no choice, 5 siblings still to feed and mum needed him
That man to, had to help out with 5, often only three, of his mums grand kinds [his sisters]
Some one had to
He tried buying a couple of blocks of land, only 4.500 at the time, mum found better use for that money
He could have been any of thousands who never had a chance to save, he however was me
Mum died kids gone I pumped every cent I could in to super
Next job, higher income, put and extra 200, every week, in to it
Weird but true I spent all leave and some wages, before calling on the pension
Not everyone squandered their wages away
My home, is now worth two and a half times what I paid [cash] in 2002
Those blocks of land? 110.000 each
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 12:41:06 PM
Foxy and others yes true but remember no investment yet known can forever give positive returns
Fannie May and Freddie Mac drove the subprime mortgage that brought about the GFC
My thoughts are these, the recent decline, around ten percent, in housing in Sydney at least,calmed the market
Some buying at the top, lost ten percent
Others Who bought very early, made up to one hundred percent
Question will lower interest rates drive house prices up
If so, and if many buy into a rising market, at low interest rates?
What happens if inflations returns
It will return only when is not known
Any downturn in the economy, after a small boom, will harm those highlighted borrowers surely
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 3:37:36 PM
Manipulation is outdated !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 10:17:12 PM
indy what?'
Let me say I hope I am wrong, but two stories [no not trying to target scomo] warn us this morning in the news
Not posting links, unsure of the mid campaign warning so reducing my posted links
But SMH one about the coming rate cuts and warns the deficit may not come
Another too teling home loan borrowers the five percent deposit plan may not be the best option
We will talk more about this,no matter who had won the election the trouble ahead would still come
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 29 May 2019 7:09:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy