The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Good Labor Men Finally Receive Justice

Good Labor Men Finally Receive Justice

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
A Sydney court has quashed the misconduct convictions of former NSW Labor minister Ian Macdonald, and long serving union representative John Maitland who had been behind bars since 2017. A retrial was ordered by the Court of Criminal Appeal. The panel was critical of the way the trial judge, Justice Christine Adamson, summed the case up for the jury.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 2 March 2019 6:06:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Macdonald and Maitland were doomed by the Merdoch and other ring wing media because they are social and political Progressives. They hate the Labor party and Unions, and they wanted to nail high-ranking Labourites. Because of the sensationalism and hatred displayed by the media, they were never going to get a fair trial. Hopefully a retrial will reveal the absurdity of a conviction based on mere accusations and zero evidence.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 2 March 2019 7:58:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Hopefully a retrial will reveal the absurdity of a conviction based on mere accusations and zero evidence".

Hopefully the same thing will occur with Cardinal Pell who was also convicted on mere accusations and zero evidence.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 2 March 2019 8:45:28 AM
Given Eddie Obeid's conduct, I'd have thought not having a competitive tender process problematic, especially as the licence was granted to a company chaired by a friend.

"A jury found he engaged in misconduct in public office by issuing the mine licence without a competitive tender to a company run by ex-union boss John Maitland.

Mr Macdonald had a non-parole period of seven years, while Mr Maitland was jailed for six years with a non-parole period of four for being an accessory.

The licence was issued in December 2008 by "direct allocation" when Mr Macdonald was the NSW minister for primary industries and resources.

Mr Maitland later earned $6 million from the sale of shares in the venture.

The Crown alleged the decision lost the state tens of millions of dollars at a time of budget restraint."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-25/ian-macdonald-wins-appeal-against-misconduct-conviction/10845314
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 2 March 2019 11:04:44 AM
I had been shocked and saddened myself by the original verdict against these two poor gentlemen. I thought identity politics gone mad, from what I heard Macdonald and Maitland were made out to have the criminal intent of an Al Capone from the Chicago mob.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 2 March 2019 12:22:06 PM
Yes, I stand corrected Paul. Thoroughly decent fellows both. One would have to search as far afield as Venezuela to find a politician of equal integrity.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/nsw-labor-s-crooked-ways-mate-union-mark-aarons-7635
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 2 March 2019 1:03:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy