The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do You trust Charities

Do You trust Charities

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
This week we again here of fraud, even criminals, ripping charities and us off
Can any of them be trusted
support one on line at your peril, young men or women will haunt your phone at tea time for months
We seem to be getting less willing to trust them and just maybe with good reasons
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 15 November 2018 3:44:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed , my wife gives donations but then gets fat envelopes from unknown charities with cards and pamphlets. The printing costs must absorb the donations received , along with admin expenses.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 16 November 2018 8:08:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Depends on the charities and who runs them.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 16 November 2018 8:55:07 AM
I don't donate, so I don't have to trust them.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 16 November 2018 9:10:41 AM
ttbn quote "I don't donate, so I don't have to trust them."

The Government gives millions to some charities so technically you do.

Only nonprofit groups registered as charities have to lodge information with the sector’s regulator, the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profit Commission (ACNC). The degree of information depends on their annual revenue. Only charities earning more than A$1 million a year must submit audited financial statements.

The commission is now considering increasing this threshold to A$5 million.

There is more info at the following link. Read down on the page some interesting stats there.

http://theconversation.com/we-need-to-know-more-about-charities-to-be-sure-they-are-helping-their-cause-not-themselves-103881

The article starts out with info on the case of.
The case of Eman Sharobeem, the NSW Australian of the Year finalist who stole almost $800,000 from charitable organisations she ran, highlights major problems with transparency throughout the nonprofit sector.

Sharobeem managed two organisations that received funds to help immigrant women. She stole the money over more than 10 years, using it to buy items such as jewellery and a Mercedes.

That she was got away with it for so long is indicative of the nonprofit sector’s general lack of accountability. The overwhelming majority of organisations make no public financial disclosures. Generally the only ones that do are those required to by law.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 16 November 2018 10:29:04 AM
There are musical charities in the doorways of supermarkets but they only spend it on fags and beer.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 16 November 2018 10:35:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy