The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Good Idea or Headline Grabbing?

A Good Idea or Headline Grabbing?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
"Greens want to set up free after-hours pill testing centres
FRIDAY 9 NOVEMBER 2018 4:00AM

ABC News

The Australian Greens want to open community pill testing centres that would run after-hours and offer free testing of drugs for purity and dangerous substances.

Under their proposed pill testing scheme, released today, the Greens would set-up six drug testing units in the first year, and also establish a national drug testing agency to oversee the program.

The centres would form part of an early warning system, where the information about the tested drugs will be made public on social media and in hospital emergency departments.

It’s based on a similar model in the Netherlands, where drug users can get up-to-date info about dangerous substances going around.

Australian Greens leader Dr Richard Di Natale says the scheme would cost $16 million dollars over four years and expand to 18 centres.

“Australia’s hard line drug policy costs lives,” Dr Di Natale said."
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 9 November 2018 9:09:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Free testing of drugs for druggies. What rubbish! We spend far too much on drug addicts and drunks already. A stupid idea from stupid people. The Greens will never change.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 12 November 2018 9:49:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Overall, the public hospital costs associated with illicit drug-related presentations in 2011 were $112m."
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 12 November 2018 10:03:27 AM
It is in their DNA that is not an insult just true.
Quite often they come up with ideas we grin at, but here they are onto something
Pill testing, people will take them, can stop deaths and that makes it worthwhile
Posted by Belly, Monday, 12 November 2018 12:08:07 PM
Issy, you like to refer to the Greens as "headline grabbers", well the answer to this one is obvious, it is an extremely good proposal, with plenty of merit. I hope it is a headline grabber and awakens the government, which is always asleep when it comes to the scourge of drugs in the community, and has a good look at this from a social welfare prospective, as well as a cost effective way of saving lives.

ttbn, as a claimed member of the Corny Banana Sideshow Party, what is your mobs policy when it comes to dealing with drugs, legal and illegal, in the community? Other than the failure of the big stick approach.

Well said Belly, its a pity some other members of the Forum don't have your intelligence to understand that drug policy as it is, is not working effectively, and all proposals need to be considered.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 12 November 2018 1:21:40 PM
Paul,

If someone wants to take unprescribed drugs of doubtful origin then I respect their right to be Richard Craniums, if they kill themselves in the process then that's one less in the gene pool.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 12 November 2018 2:09:51 PM
Issy, that could be a 15 year old boy or girl. It could be my granddaughter, your grandson, figuratively speaking only. Would you be so dismissive then?
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 12 November 2018 3:40:38 PM
Issy, that could be a 15 year old boy or girl. It could be my granddaughter, your grandson, figuratively speaking only. Would you be so dismissive then?
Paul1405,
Me ? Yes !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 13 November 2018 7:11:30 AM
Paul,

I've told all my children that if they get involved with drugs then they are on their own and that if they deal or encourage others to do drugs then they are disowned and cease to exist for me.

I'm all for drug dealers and suppliers being executed.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 13 November 2018 6:53:37 PM
Is Mise,
I'm with you on this.
If someone is silly enough to take these drugs they are on their own.

I would not even let the Ambos attend drug overdoses. Their time better spent teaching school kids first aid.
Posted by HenryL, Tuesday, 13 November 2018 7:17:35 PM
Good idea.

Basically what you get is drug users volunteering samples for testing, instead of having to rely solely on drugs seized by police. More samples tested = more data, and that data is extremely useful for law enforcement.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 13 November 2018 7:44:42 PM
//I'm all for drug dealers and suppliers being executed// There you go again Issy, with your fetish for killing people.

//they are disowned and cease to exist for me.// That's one way of looking at things.

Say you had a child, and you warned that child about the dangers of smoking, another drug, but despite your salient advice the child took up smoking regardless. At the age of 40, they come to you with the news they have lung cancer, with six months to live. Do you show your compassion by telling them "That's good, I told you smoking was bad, that proves it, now it serves you right, I might not come to your funeral!"

//I would not even let the Ambos attend drug overdoses.// The biggest drug overdoses attended by ambos and police is the result of alcohol abuse. Then sometimes it could be difficult to determine if someone is having a non drug related medical incident, and one induced by drugs. How do ambos determine which one it is. Crystal ball gazing?
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 14 November 2018 8:23:09 PM
No, Paul, I have a fetish for saving lives, that's why I think drug dealers, suppliers and manufacturers of illegal drugs should be executed.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 15 November 2018 7:52:16 AM
Go, Is Mise!

Brisbane Gun Shop | Gold Coast Gun Shop | Brisbane Hunting Supplies
https://shootersdelight.com.au/
Shooter's Delight is the leading Brisbane & Gold Coast gun shop, offering a large range of firearms,ammunition, scopes,

Mr. Guy Meldrum , Managing Director and Executive Director of British American Tobacco (Australasia Holdings) Pty Limited

Castlemaine Perkins is a brewery located in Milton, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, entity of the Lion company.
Irene Bell
Brewery Director at Lion, Castlemaine Perkins
Brisbane, Australia
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 15 November 2018 8:40:02 AM
//I have a fetish for saving lives, that's why I think drug dealers, suppliers and manufacturers of illegal drugs should be executed.//

Hang on, why just the illegal drugs if your fetish is for saving lives? Shouldn't we also be executing brewers, distillers, vignerons, barmen, bottle-shop staff, et. al.?

Or do you labour under the misapprehension that ethanol doesn't kill because it is legal?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 15 November 2018 1:39:19 PM
Toni,

It's a limited fetish.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 15 November 2018 1:48:26 PM
If you ever have a car accident with Is Mise , hand over your wallet and move away quickly . Ducking and weaving.
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 15 November 2018 1:48:59 PM
Issy we differ, obviously you support state sanctioned murder in all its forms, including the death penalty for certain crimes. What other crimes would you also support the use of the death penalty?
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 17 November 2018 9:49:21 PM
Is Mise- I did start to write something on this but I thought you had basically said it. Kudos
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 18 November 2018 1:13:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy