The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Trying to buy Australian Made

Trying to buy Australian Made

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Hasbeen,

You hit the nail on the head.

My father was a Blacksmith with the NSW Govt. Railways, my mother never had to work, yet dad bought a block of land in Regent's Park (Sydney), built a house himself, had a second hand ute and never had a mortgage.

Can't do that these days on a tradesman's wages.

My first house was in a country town as was the second and I paid cash for them on an Armourer's wages in the first instance and on a Shire Council employee's in the second.

Just looked up the second town and the only thing for sale at the moment is a block of land for $89,000

Times has changed!!
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 21 October 2018 6:27:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Isi, too right.
As a younger guy in my early 20's, I had saved enough (the majority) to buy a house.
Borrowed the lesser amount from someone, and repaid in a few months.
Went on to buy another, then realised people are pigs, so got out of residential and went into industrial.
Never looked back, the right decision.
Accumulated eight or nine properties eventually, even managed a weekender, (which I still own as of over 30 years ago, haven't been there thirty times, the family and friends use it more than I. It's not really me)now that I am at an age, doing less, health and all that, I'm in a slow sell phase.
The point I'm making, by example is, that the reasons people can't afford to buy a house today are many, such as the obvious one; price, but hang on, they insist on buying $7-800,000 homes.
These people are fools.
They suffer from the 'look at moi' syndrome.
Aussies are amongst the most arrogant in the world, they're show-offs, poser's.
The obvious answer is to buy a cheaper home as a first home, which they CAN afford.
Then as the family grows out of the first home they move up to a larger one.
Another problem is that they also want all the 'toys'.
Well guess what?
You can't!
I'm sick of hearing how they are working two or three jobs, and how they both have to work to pay off the house.
They never mention the 'toys'.
So the moral of the story is; save when your young, then you can retire well off when you're old.
BTW idiots, THAT'S when you buy your toys.
I'm qualified to speak, I have a weekender, even though I don't use it, a 30 odd foot Scarab (Miami Vice), assorted Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Caddy Convertible aaaaand the list goes on.
A bit of advice for all you brainiacs, I'll let you in on the secret to my success.
My mantra has always been; I LIVE TO WORK!
Definitely NOT I work to live.
If you disagree, well good luck.
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 21 October 2018 10:19:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To those who yearn for a return to the huge domestic manufacturing sector of half a century ago, please answer me this:

why should our workers bother with the low value work of putting things together when they're capable of doing much higher value work?

___________________________________________________________________________________

ALTRAV,
"Our wages will drop, in spite of the unions, and that's the way it should be, so we can become viable again."
If our industry is globally uncompetitive, we don't need to drop our wages. Instead the markets will drop our dollar so that we become viable again. Indeed you may not have noticed it, but that's already happened over the past year or two, and has sparked a manufacturing boom.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 22 October 2018 2:07:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan, agreed, the dollar has stepped in to help the situation. Unfortunately we don't have a very strong manufacturing/labour base, so the dollar will help to fill the void.
I fear for the industries we have left, like livestock exports and a few others that are under constant threat by the Greens, left leaning, tree hugging un-informed, mentally deficient protestors out there.
They already had a good go at the live cattle exports, and now are still at it, trying to kill the live sheep export trade.
With the dollar so low, now is the time to push hard, so I am in dis-belief that these idiot protestors would try to sabotage what is one of the few exports we can benefit from.
Sure we still have minerals and agriculture, but it's not enough.
With things in decline we need all the help we can get if we are to avoid a recession or worse, a depression!
Posted by ALTRAV, Monday, 22 October 2018 4:39:54 PM
Too many workers in Australia are not value for money. That's why the economy is so dreadfully unbalanced.
The Public Service is is simply out of control in regard to salaries value for money.
Negative gearing is the single most negative factor that unbalances all economic..
Posted by individual, Monday, 22 October 2018 6:03:56 PM
Individual, what is so special about negative gearing?

Every industry, & rental housing since the beginning of Oz, has been able to claim the interest on capital borrowed to earn a profit as a tax deduction. It did in times of rapid house price growth, help many make a capital gains profit, but borrowing to fund any business was very profitable during such times.

In fact it looks very much like the worm is about to turn right now. People over geared in a falling market will make huge losses, with the help of negative gearing.

Many people in Perth are already in trouble, as they can not get even near the amount they owe on their rental property. Gladstone & MacKay are also about to see many bankruptcies, as banks call in under capitalised loans, due to falling valuations.

So negative gearing has helped make some wealthy on paper, but it is going to send a lot broke, if the predicted 20% fall in housing values comes to pass.

The falling dollar is correcting some excesses. 6 years ago my property was worth about US$1,000,000. Today with our dollar going through the floor, about US$650,000. About half a million US is probably it's realistic value. Fortunately when you have no borrowings it doesn't effect you much.

I think next year will be a good time for the cashed up to buy houses, in a low market.

At the same time I recently noticed that a remote control plane I bought for $108 a couple of years ago, advertised for $215 today. It looks like we are about to come back to earth, & not very gently. Just like petrol, our dollar is not going to buy much imported stuff.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 22 October 2018 9:54:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy