The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Trying to buy Australian Made

Trying to buy Australian Made

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Have you seen the price for a politician in Australia? Thank goodness for Coles going down even if they overpay farmers who can survive on goannas and yams.
Posted by nicknamenick, Saturday, 20 October 2018 10:38:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And of course the government has a lot to do with
that by allowing cheap products into the country. For example
tourism - it's cheaper to go to Asia and the Pacific than to
have a holiday in Australia.
Foxy,
Wage demands have ruined manufacturing here & yes the opportunistic nature of Australians is taking advantage of the lower costs for asian holidays plus there is something to do in those places & there is culture to experience.
I'm still waiting for a wages freeze & a 10% cut in public service salaries so Australia can start manufacturing again. Tourism will stagnate because of all the regulations that prohibit enjoyment.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 20 October 2018 11:36:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
indy maybe we should import Asians to work here on the wages they get over there.
We could build wider gutters for them and Australians we put out of work to sleep in.
Send in the water trucks to spray them and get them out of bed just before the sun rises.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 20 October 2018 12:29:41 PM
Way way back in a far better time & place, I was technical service officer for the Australian distributor of Cycolac, ABS plastic. That is the good engineering stuff used to build half the world today. The appliance, phone & automotive industries were our biggest customers.

In Sydney alone we supplied AWA, HMV, EMI, Philips, Admiral, Sunbeam & a couple of others whose names I forget now, with raw material to build their TV sets, portable radios, hair dryers & the like.

With Halstrom we developed the world's first ever fridge, with built in shelves in the door liner. In fact Oz led the way with many products. Our market was small enough to allow some hand finishing, & to try new ways of doing things reasonably inexpensively.

In 71 I went off cruising first the Great Barrier Reef, then the Pacific island, then along came Whitlam. I couldn't believe it when I was hearing about 30% wage rises. I wondered if there would be any industry to come back to. I was right, when I came back most of those I had supplied were no more, or simply importers rebadging stuff.

I couldn't believe how much I had to pay a deckhand or an office girl, it was ridiculous. Then I found it was much harder for them to live on those now high wages. We had managed with Whitlam to stuff the entire balance, so the now very high wages were not enough for workers to live on even poorly.

Hawke & Keating tried hard, but never got the balance back, & we have been chasing our tails ever since.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 20 October 2018 2:15:53 PM
Indi, correct.
There are those who do not want to accept the truth/facts, but thankfully, they hold no sway on the truth so it is out there in spite of them.
The truth is, as you rightly say, that the demise of Australia and it's wealth and status, is directly attributed to the UNIONS firstly, and the govt's secondly.
Had the unions not pushed so aggressively for wage increases we would still be viable, in every sector.
Then the govt did nothing about curbing this disturbing assault on our industries.
Followed by the more mentally deranged and totally mis-giuded, the 'protestors', who protest at the drop of a hat.
None of them have a grasp on what they are about, let alone reality.
So between these groups, better known as AUSSIES, they have successfully brought down the Manufacturing, and Export industries, but to what end?
I fear the obvious, but ultimately WE will be the biggest losers.
The guilty parties are set by either receiving the dole or getting a handsome pension, that we, the plebs, could only dream about.
So, as for 'Trying to buy Australian Made', is a dream too far away and as already pointed out, all that's left is agriculture, and they've already stared killing what's left of the Aussie farming products.
The dairy/milk farmers, the egg farmers, canaries and the list goes on.
My predictions of many years ago are now coming to fruition.
I forecast the collapse of the housing industry to a level of around 30 to 40%, which will only happen because everyone is in love with inflation, well now YOUR gonna pay for it.
Our wages will drop, in spite of the unions, and that's the way it should be, so we can become viable again.
Another thing we must resist or reject is inflation.
This is just the 'ramp up' part of a ponzi cycle.
The GFC's we experience are the 'downward' cycles, so a small and flatter inflation is desirable to us the consumer, 2-3% at the most.
Inflation helps the thieves who prey on our mis-fortunes, they create.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 20 October 2018 2:39:28 PM
Hasbeen at least your opinion is one you support with some truths.
Radio nut all my life and even worked briefly in the then new AWA factory in my explore the big city days.
House full of silent ham radio gear all from other countries.
Understand your thoughts but.
If we agreed to take pay rates back to the mid 1970,s we would still not build electronics here.
if we closed our doors to importing goods, we would also see them closed to some exports.Many victims of free world trade exist, but many more prosper because of it.
LIFESTYLE are we to even consider that wage earners MUST suffer great falls, forever, so we can in part become a class society and have a forever hungry working class?
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 20 October 2018 2:53:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy