The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does Daylight Saving Cause the Curtains To Fade?

Does Daylight Saving Cause the Curtains To Fade?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. All
We are now into Daylight Saving Time again and again the old argument arises about fading curtains.
I, for one, am convinced that the extra hour of sunlight causes the curtains to fade quicker also furniture and anything else in the house that is in the sunlight.

What do you think and what precautions can be taken?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 7:45:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Time again and again" is right. Daylight saving has been around long enough now to make any mention of it as boring as batsh-t. Get over it.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:06:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn,

But do the curtains fade more?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:25:41 AM
Of course it does.

Just drive over the boarder from Qld into NSW, & you can't help but notice all the faded curtains. Hell even the house paint is all faded & wishy washy, not to mention the gum trees that are no where near as brightly coloured.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:31:31 AM
Hobart has 5.30 sunrise and 8.50 sunset in December and penguins are black and white.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 12:15:34 PM
Dear Is Mise,

Only on the western side of the house since the evenings are now longer while the mornings are shorter. The solution of course, if you can, is to switch the eastern curtains with the western for the daylight saving period. Just like rotating your tyres.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 1:02:19 PM
CSIRO did a study on it and said the effect was from longer summer days . The Daylight Saving is only a very small fraction of it. I forget the amount.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 1:07:56 PM
There isn't any extra daylight because of dayling savings.
Daylight savings just means your clocks are wound back an hour during certain months of the year.
You still have more sun in the summer and less sun in the winter months, but it's not because of daylight savings.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 1:35:27 PM
Daylight savings does not cause your curtains to fade, the sun does.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 1:38:28 PM
So the banking commission should get onto Newcastle Permanent, Whatever you’re saving for, our great range of savings accounts can help get you there sooner.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 1:50:57 PM
I was going to post a link to the song "I Hate Summer" by the Ken Noath Ockerstra.
Unfortunately I couldn't find one.

Instead I'll say that I think SA should eventually synchronise with Queensland.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 2:12:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The railway gauges were simpler.
Perth is 1 1/2 hour behind Adelaide which has DS + 1/2 hour.
So Bris is 1/2 hr behind Adelaide which is 1/2 hr behind Sydney.
Buy curtains in Sydney.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 2:24:03 PM
not in Queensland they do not have it.
The thought cutting two inches from a blanket and sewing it on the other end makes it longer concerns me.
However my new, [five years ago] curtains are looking a bit faded
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 3:01:03 PM
Which end do you cut? If you take the faded end where does that get you?
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 3:08:39 PM
I think day light savings cause the curtains to fade less- but I think it's caused when I open the curtains in the "morning". Also the dark side of the moon isn't always dark.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 3:33:47 PM
Certainly daylight saving is a cause of gw. Just ask the IPCC.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 4:32:09 PM
//Does Daylight Saving Cause the Curtains To Fade?//

Who cares about curtains, it's your ticker you should be worried about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGs5Im9f8Q
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 4:58:12 PM
//Also the dark side of the moon isn't always dark.//

Most of it (82%) is, the moon is tidally locked.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:00:53 PM
There is no dark side only a far side which fades as much as on earth which is half the time .
Farside Shower Curtains | Fine Art America
https://fineartamerica.com › Shop › Home Decor › Shower Curtains
Choose your favorite farside shower curtains from thousands of available designs. All farside ... The Far Side Of The Moon Shower Curtain.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:42:12 PM
Joh Bjelke-Petersen the god of the banana benders, declared daylight saving did in reality fade the curtains! In fact, never you mind, Old Joh declared it was a commie, pinko, southern states conspiracy to take his army of mushroom followers out of the dark and subject them to more sunlight, thus frying the little brain they had left.

There is a push by the Bolsheviks living in south east Queensland to have daylight saving reintroduced. Not only that, they also want their part of the state renamed, I suggest it be called Toadland.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 11 October 2018 5:36:14 AM
In racing parlance Queensland has form, Paul reminds us of old Joe, his brown paper bags his gaol bird police commissioner.
Pauline Hanson knows that state has form for voting for lunatics and propers there and only there by that continuing form
You can bet London to a brick, some Queenslanders think their curtains are fading because of daylight saving completely forgetting they do not have it
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 11 October 2018 5:44:40 AM
Hi Belly, "London to a brick" you invoke the ghost of the late great Ken Howard, doyen of Sydney race callers.

//Queenslanders think their curtains are fading because of daylight saving completely forgetting they do not have it//

Nah, completely forgetting they did not have curtains in the first place, until Old Joh said they did.

What I suggest is all Queenslanders gather at 6am on top of the Everest of Queensland, Mount Bartle Frere, putting them 3 foot 6 above sea level, and pray to the great Sun God not to rise.

Gee, and to think I have just bought a property up there. I didn't check the curtains for fading.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 11 October 2018 6:05:24 AM
Paul,

We have also just bought into Queensland, suburban Brisbane, on the Northside.
Don't worry about fading curtains as the extra fading only happens in DST lands.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 11 October 2018 7:58:29 AM
Daylight saving doesn't fade the curtains but it definitely fades the mentality of those born without sense.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 11 October 2018 8:16:41 AM
Indy, I always thought you lived in a tree, after all you are always coming out of your tree to post on the forum. Don't tell me you've installed curtains in your tree, who knows next thing you'll be installing windows to go with the curtains, and a door.

Don't take offence, I do love yah!

Issy, just bought in the Moreton Bay area. have spend a great deal of time up there over the last few years with the Whanau (family), and now with the wife's sister passing away last year, we feel obligated to be there for the nieces (now our daughters in Maori tradition as they have no parents, but they are adults). Te's brother also died a couple of years back up there leaving a wife and kids, all grown up. Plus we have many close relatives in Queensland/Brisbane including some of our own immediate. Then there are so many of our mokopuna (all family children are your grandchildren, not just those from sons and daughters,that's how its seen), got many of them. Not to mention all the cuzzie bros. The wife can't wait to get up there again.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 11 October 2018 9:04:27 AM
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 10 October 2018 5:00:53 PM-

//Also the dark side of the moon isn't always dark.//
Most of it (82%) is, the moon is tidally locked.

Answer- Yes the moon is tidally locked- but not to the sun. They tend to travel in a plane- not the flying kind- but generally in the same direction.

If I hold my hands in front of my eyes you can't see me...
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 11 October 2018 9:07:10 AM
//Yes the moon is tidally locked- but not to the sun.//

Correct. It's tidally locked to the Earth, which is why we can only observe one hemisphere (plus a little bit of the second hemisphere due to libration) from the Earth. Most of that second hemisphere - the 'dark' or 'far' side of the moon - can't be observed from Earth; you have to send up a rocket to have a look at it.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 11 October 2018 12:31:13 PM
A hemisphere is a fixed section but the far side is not fixed. The whole surface is dark during once a month or so. 82% is a rubbery figure from the gay referendum.
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 11 October 2018 1:11:28 PM
the dark side is not fixed
the far side is...
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 11 October 2018 1:29:56 PM
In racing parlance Queensland has form, Paul reminds us of old Joe, his brown paper bags his gaol bird police commissioner.
Pauline Hanson knows that state has form for voting for lunatics and propers there and only there by that continuing form
You can bet London to a brick, some Queenslanders think their curtains are fading because of daylight saving completely forgetting they do not have it
Thanks
Posted by kullboys, Thursday, 11 October 2018 5:33:07 PM
To nicknamenick through the chair- Exactly.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 11 October 2018 11:03:01 PM
a thought, is my grey hair linked to two decades of day light saving in NSW ?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 12 October 2018 5:58:52 AM
In Russia , 2011 saw the nationwide introduction of year-round DST, ending 8 month DST that had lasted for 3 decades. Following another law change in 2014, Russian clocks were turned back by 1 hour to today's all-year standard time to obstruct Ukrainian military timetables. U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Miami, has filed bills to make the year-round change permanent. But if Washington fails to act, Florida’s clocks will fall back in November just as they have for years.

NASA: Astronauts raise curtain on space station's new view ...
https://www.computerworld.com/.../nasa--astronauts-raise-curtain-on-space-station-s-n...
Feb 17, 2010 - NASA astronauts today "raised the curtain" on a set of windows with the best view of the world the International Space Station has to offer.. During third and final spacewalk which lasted from 9:00 am ET to 3:03 pm ET.. The US members stopped early leaving the Russian in the dark.
ET had no comment.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 12 October 2018 6:06:57 AM
Absolutely Belly, now if you were a Queenslander, calling all Queenslanders, I am offering Condos on the dark side of the Moon, where there is no daylight saving, I repeat no daylight saving, for the ridiculously low price of $1,000,000 each. Its 90% deposit, and the balance when you move in. How many of you are interested, in living the good life, in the new estate of Johcity conveniently located on the dark side of the Moon. Hassy, Indy, others.

Please note many Queenslanders have already bought in, and deposits can be conveniently placed in my South American bank account.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 12 October 2018 6:16:32 AM
The sunlight moves around the moon at about 14kph but you only see Qld half the time.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 12 October 2018 6:35:33 AM
NNN, I see you are showing great interest in Johcity, strategically located on the dark side of the Moon. You may be concerned that there may not be the high standards of cultural entertainment in Johcity that you are used to. Rest assured the performing arts will be well catered for. Jelly wrestling on a Tuesday night will be a highlight of your cultural week at the Russ Hinze Memorial Opera House, we will have our own light show as well, nothing crass as horse racing, I think the projection of Macca's ads would be more in keeping with the sanctity of our iconic centre of entertainment. What do you think?
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 12 October 2018 7:19:22 AM
Don't you worry about that in Moscow on the last day of school the sun rises about 9 and sets about 4. With daylight saving kids go before dawn after milking the cows with local agriculture right here we get value for money .
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 12 October 2018 7:57:47 AM
The dark side of the moon is bright in comparison to the dark side of the Left.
Posted by individual, Friday, 12 October 2018 9:12:16 AM
That's the far left side.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 12 October 2018 9:25:17 AM
Take it you have seen both indy?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 12 October 2018 11:27:46 AM
Belly,
No, not seen it, I just go by judging from your defence of the cause of the problem.
Posted by individual, Friday, 12 October 2018 11:56:17 AM
enjoy our verbal tennis indy.
I do not often win in straight sets
But form improves when we play
Posted by Belly, Friday, 12 October 2018 4:59:38 PM
Seems like it's about time to tell why DST causes the curtains and everything else that's fadeable in the house to fade quicker.

The simple fact is that the window drapes, shutters, Venitian blinds or whatever are opened one hour earlier relative to the position of the sun, so they get one hour more sunlight than if there were not DS.

The alignment and configuration of a house have a bearing on this and in some houses, there will be less fading than in others.

Remedies are to stay in bed an hour longer or not to open things up till an hour later, personally, I favour the first option.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 13 October 2018 1:37:52 PM
So you stay in bed longer but that option means you open the shutters by the clock as always? How long were you in the military saluting doctors , princes , gun-slingers and obsession psychiatrists?
Posted by nicknamenick, Saturday, 13 October 2018 5:09:20 PM
"So you stay in bed longer but that option means you open the shutters by the clock as always?"

Do you really need to ask?
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 13 October 2018 8:49:36 PM
It is raining here, started the day daylight saving started, had some every day.
Could it be daylight saving brings an end to drought?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 14 October 2018 6:24:22 AM
"Do you really need to ask?" You say the venetians can be left closed. A balanced person may say he'll leave them until a bit later or have them darker during summer. But you will sleep 1 hour until the scheduled time and open the venetians on waking per timetable. Bet you have a colour chart to measure monthly fading , wash curtains on third Thursday each month and record it all in an exercise book with red pencil in ruled columns.
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 14 October 2018 7:41:30 AM
Nick,

Daylight saving causes extra fading, get used to it.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 14 October 2018 9:05:44 AM
I will not. Most people have a hill , house or trees between their pale pastel Chinese silk curtains in their east facing bedroom when the sun is at 65 degrees azimuth and 15 degrees elevation but not you. Why? Do you mark a spot on the carpet for your slippers? Does your colour chart measure the interior wall paint or is that covered in black drapes? What you got against sunlight?
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 14 October 2018 9:27:13 AM
//Daylight saving causes extra fading, get used to it.//

Have you considered getting new windows? I hypothesise that the brown glass used to filter out the wavelengths of light that ruin beer by 'skunking' the hops might also be able to filter the wavelengths that ruin curtains. Certainly seems worth a try.

Or maybe just hang your curtains in a cellar away from any sunlight, so that you can appreciate them without having to worry about them fading.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 14 October 2018 9:41:32 AM
Sandstone Rock face Cladding
Rockface Sandstone Cladding
Sandrock clad face
Facerock Sanding Stones
Condition: New product

Available sizes:

200x400x30mm

200x500x30mm

200x600x30mm

FOR ANY OTHER SIZES, COLOURS OR FINISHES PLEASE CONTACT US.
COVER YOUR WINDOWS , VENETIANS , SILK PASTEL SNOWFLAKE AND FADED DAYLIGHT. SLEEP IN 6 HOURS AND WAKE IN FULL COLOUR.
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 14 October 2018 9:57:15 AM
Now the humorists are making a last ditch stand to bolster their bruised egos.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 14 October 2018 10:55:00 AM
The thread is about humor surely you knew that Ise Mise
Just to be safe I planted bottle brush trees against my windows
Is it daylight saving making them scratch the windows at night
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 14 October 2018 11:17:19 AM
I wish I had venetians and could make myself sleep in and had a curtain timetable from Brian Boruma who is unfaded.
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 14 October 2018 11:38:41 AM
Apparently Chlorophyll blocks UV light

http://lushledlighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Chlorophyll-Chart.png
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 14 October 2018 5:55:18 PM
Belly said "Is it daylight saving making them scratch the windows at night"

Answer- The Sun and the Moon affect the weather and the wind.
It could depend on how you define night- by the time or by the sun.

If the night is defined by the time and the time changes ergo it could perhaps affect whether they scratch the window in the day or the night.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 14 October 2018 6:00:07 PM
Belly,

"The thread is about humor surely you knew that Ise Mise
Just to be safe I planted bottle brush trees against my windows
Is it daylight saving making them scratch the windows at night"

No, it's about revealing the stupidity of those who, every year, make some inane remark about the curtains.

If the cap fits...
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 14 October 2018 6:34:24 PM
//Apparently Chlorophyll blocks UV light//

Regular window glass blocks any UV wavelengths below 350nm pretty effectively, but photo-decomposition of fabric dyes still occurs. Brown glass is a more effective filter, blocking not only UV but some visible wavelengths.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 14 October 2018 6:50:23 PM
inane remarks about curtains
"Remedies are to stay in bed an hour longer or not to open things up till an hour later, personally, I favour the first option.
Posted by Is Mise,"
Don't know how you can just lay there waiting with the summer sun building up in strength and knowing the damage you will have to endure. As the time ebbs away do you consider delaying the action , but then how do you assess the cost / benefit? You could just inanely remark that fading is not all that significant compared to the Reef but there is a line in the sand.
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 14 October 2018 8:46:36 PM
Thanks Is Mise for the amusing diversion of this thread.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 14 October 2018 9:32:55 PM
Canem Malum,

Yes, it certainly brought the ants out into the sunlight.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 14 October 2018 10:00:29 PM
Yes you get that in the summer . Ant Rid is OK unless its termites in wooden venetians disturbing your sleep. Can't help you there.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 15 October 2018 6:23:26 AM
Just checked with Inverell Termite control- should be OK if the venetians are adjusted flat to the sun. Termites work 24 hours a day.
Termites need moisture to survive and will die if exposed to sunlight or open air for more than a few minutes. Once in, termites can infest virtually any part of your home -- wood trim, siding, wallboard, even picture frames. Protect your venetians , sleep with confidence and quietness while curtains rise in value.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 15 October 2018 8:14:41 AM
Nick,

On a serious note re termites.
In older terrace houses in many of our early towns and cities, the floor joists share a common footing in the side walls and a termite infestation in one house can spread to adjoining houses without the owners being aware until they have a floorboard etc., give way.

So any of you who live in an old terrace, check things out.

I saw one infestation in Glebe (Sydney) that had spread through three houses from the source home.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 15 October 2018 10:03:20 AM
Both houses in Canberra have rot , seriously.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 15 October 2018 10:06:22 AM
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has spent $50,000 on his private office at Parliament House, and new curtains installed , with stains from various leader spills.

Additionally, high heat and UV exposure may cause wood to fade;
PVC Venetian Blinds is quite attractive and most importantly affordable for people of all class . PVC venetian blinds have the look of painted wooden blinds which will not fade. PVC venetian blinds are suitable for most rooms and are available in a wide range of colours . Opening venetians 1 hour 3 minutes after dawn and a quick spray with Ant Rid will add years to your office.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 15 October 2018 11:28:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy