The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Fair Go From The ABC?

A Fair Go From The ABC?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All
//The ABC has defended its decision to have Gemaine Greer on Q&A on Monday 16th September despite her recent comments on rape and the #MeToo mob.//

Yeah, they've had her on a number of times before. I'm glad to see they've got her back; she's always good value. A forthright and cantankerous old woman unafraid to speak her mind, regardless of who it upsets... she reminds me a bit of Granny Weatherwax, but mostly of Nanny Ogg. Everytime I see her on the panel, I keep my fingers crossed that she'll suddenly burst into a round of 'A Wizard's Staff Has a Knob on the End' or the infamous hedgehog song.

I think the thing I like most about her is her proven track record of getting up the nose of every Tory on the panel, Tony Jones, and most of the audience within the brief space of an hour. Some may respect her as an icon of feminism; I like her because she upsets almost everyone.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 15 September 2018 8:48:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
dd,

I wouldn't go as far as to say they are changing direction. I agree that there really is no place for a publicly funded or state-owned broadcasting network outside China or another totalitarian country where the government has to control everything to stay in power. In Australia, it is really stupid. But, not a single politician who could get rid of the ABC has the guts to to do it.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 15 September 2018 9:17:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Toni Lavis through the chair- Are you an existentialist or a nihilist?

To ttbn- Yes- I think Germaine Greer is interesting too. Her book The Whole Woman appeared to correct some of the extremes of feminism in favour of wisdom- based on my limited understanding. But 3rd Gen Interactionism and 4th Gen Rapism walked right over these ideas as the out of date ideas of a "has been"- sad that the feminist movement appears just as ageist as everyone else- despite their claims of enlightenment. There comes a time when you realise that your parents may have been right in many of their views- righteous youth are very smart.

Individual- I feel for your views here. Put it down to the sixties.

Diver Dan- I like where you're going with this.
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 15 September 2018 10:26:00 PM
Good on ya Tony Lavis.

Your obviously entertained by ABC television. Most I know are actually insulted by it.

But you've raised an interesting point. Introducing a failed left wing nut job such as she is, holds lessons for the rest. It's a cynical ploy.
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 15 September 2018 10:31:59 PM
//To Toni Lavis through the chair//

If I may offer a brief correction; my proper title is Toni Lavis through the wardrobe.

//Are you an existentialist or a nihilist?//

No.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 15 September 2018 10:51:28 PM
Calum Malum

But firstly, why do you consider yourself such a bad dog to be wary of?
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 15 September 2018 10:53:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy