The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Foreign Aid

Foreign Aid

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All
Nothing to be said about the subsiding of Indonesian terrorism in West New Guinea?

How much Australian aid flows to the native inhabitants and how much goes to the resettlement of foreigners in that benighted land?

Remember Gough Whitlam and Timor, people who'd been our allies against the Japs got nothing while those that aided the Japs got money; remember the five Australian journalists whose murdered blood was spilled in a spirit of friendship with Australia; Whitlam had blood on his hands.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 13 August 2018 1:32:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
not straying in to the terrorist stuff, but will remind others today Julie Bishop warned about online comments in other places calling for an end to aid, her point was it is not as much as some think and even with our politics being far apart her other views on this mirror mine. if we must sink to the lowest common denominator for giving aid,, consider if we did not how would we handle refugees maybe in the tens of millions? even with it we will see, without peace and great luck regarding droughts, millions knocking on developed countries doors
Posted by Belly, Monday, 13 August 2018 4:25:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Issy, I am in agreement with you on East Timor. The actions of Indonesia, who have been aided and abetted by foreign nationals in West Mew Guinea, is nothing short of reprehensible, Australia should be ashamed of itself with are lack of protest against Indonesian atrocities committed.

Indy, what is your knowledge of the situation of people in Fiji. I think you may have spent some time up a tree somewhere else and then try to extrapolate that experience to a people you know nothing about. If that is so, then you are ignorant, but you may be able to redeem yourself.

Saying; "aid should be only in Australian manufactured or grown product. As Oz makes stuff all these days, our only offering should be in locally grown food, & not too much of that either."

Talking about hand outs, shows a lack of understanding on your part, that is only an emergency thing at best, its not what aid is about. Aid is about improving peoples lives, making things better for the future. So much conservative white man BS from the Usual Suspects on the forum.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 13 August 2018 4:31:47 PM
Paul1405,
it looks more like you're living up a tree in some Uni complex & surround yourself with those feel-good lefty types.
I can't help thinking you're just an 18 year old student trying to obtain a BA.
Posted by individual, Monday, 13 August 2018 5:33:47 PM
My take on foreign aid or any aid for that matter is that I'm fully willing to help people worse off than myself but I draw the line when they're better off than I am for sitting at home on my taxes while I am still working.
Posted by individual, Monday, 13 August 2018 5:41:20 PM
Belly

"..not straying in to the terrorist stuff,"

Why not?

Does it not suit your agenda?

For every dollar that Australia gives to Indonesia it frees up a like value in their dosh to be used to terrorise West New Guineans or some other unfortunate minority.

I wonder did they ever finish building their aircraft carrier?

Of course, it'd sit ill with you that the Great Gough was a bloody handed murderer, complicit in the killing of five innocent Australian journos.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 13 August 2018 5:59:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All