The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Liberal Party and Its Future.

The Liberal Party and Its Future.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Dear Foxy,

«Pure democracy would mean that every citizen would have the right to participate in every decision, a situation that would lead to complete chaos and would leave little time for all kinds of other activities.»

With the technology we now have, citizens could delegate voting on the issues they are less concerned about to like-minded others and only vote directly in those decisions that are most important to them. See one way how it can work: http://voteflux.org/about

While no country has direct democracy (yet), some do at least have proportional representation, a step in the right direction.

---

«The Liberal Party and Its Future - and what suggestions do you have what can they do to improve their chances of winning the next federal election?»

Why would I volunteer suggestions that might help any major party to win?
I want both of them to lose! I want both dinosaurs to disappear!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 29 July 2018 9:18:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Yuyutsu,

I must have misunderstood your intentions for coming into this
discussion as - the title is quite clear.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 29 July 2018 10:28:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Liberals should get some real policies that benefit the wider community for the long term instead keeping of their corporate sponsors happy.

The sole reason for their existence - like all neo-cons - is to deregulate and remove legislative obstacles and whatever else it takes to unleash unrestricted free market capitalism, in the belief that "the market" will fix everything.
Unfortunately it can't.

Everything else they do is just window dressing in order to remain in power but they've always been about "the main game".
Spending on education, health and the environment only happens begrudingly and in a reactionary manner, to match what the opposition may propose.

All they have been doing is to continue the flow of wealth from the public sector into fewer and fewer private hands, plundering the accumulated assets created by previous generations plus widening the gap between the rich and the "undeserving" poor.

They need to develop a social conscience to ensure a better life for future generations and think beyond the next election and a fairer distribution of wealth for all.

They should also abondon their usual distraction strategy of creating division with the community to keep groups fighting among themselves and selectively scapegoating groups as required.

They should use policies to earn votes for a change rather than resort to the "Kill Bill" plan they use on every opposition leader.

Since that is extremely unlikely (not in the DNA), they will have to depend on the ALP typically shooting itself in the foot and rallying the traditional media bias that gets them across the line every time.
Posted by rache, Monday, 30 July 2018 1:33:52 AM
Hi Foxy,
If improving democracy is what you want then first you must understand its limits and flaws.

Let's say you want Muslims and I don't.
If you have it your way, then I cannot have it my way.
If I voted against Muslims, but get Muslims anyway how did democracy work for me?
Was there any compromise on that issue?

Similar to the flaws of capitalism.
2 people go for the one job; there's always going to be a loser.
1 person will get a job, the other gets to remain unemployed.
How did Capitalism help the loser?

Freedom of religion, the flaws built in.
Democracy and western ideals support freedom of religion, but do those religions support democracy and western ideals?
What happens to western ideals when westerners in the west become a minority?

How does democracy compare to a dictatorship?
What can a dictatorship do a democracy cant; and vice versa.

Is it efficient to have 2 parties always squabbling over everything, never going in a unified direction and never really achieving anything except debt spiral?

Do people truly benefit from democracy or do they suffer for it?

If only half of the people get what they want half of the time...
Then that doesn't seem all that great a policy.

Always look at the pro's and cons and make sure your standing back far enough to see the bigger picture and ask the right questions.

Hi Belly,
Are the parties moving away from their base;
Or is the base moving away from the parties?

If you change the base, you change the government.
Therefore if you want to change the government change its base; by demographics and with immigration.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 30 July 2018 3:05:40 AM
ArmChair critic put the need to be a smart you know what away for this subject, I really honestly think these things,if both our party's stop feeding minorities within their structure both will improve, Labor just before the big man took over and gave us 1972, was fractured, the left had stopped it being elecable, a purely left party will never lead this country, LNP/Liberal needs to stop winning over the Tony Abbott faction at the cost of its own true Liberals,it will happen, and after that they will be to tough nut to crack, until Labor too [after the Shorten Government] reforms,small l vs big L branch stacking, not unknown to my party,is harmful, John Howard, until he won control of the senate was in all truth a man who knew the voters and was never going to be removed, he now supports the very people he would never have when in office
Posted by Belly, Monday, 30 July 2018 8:09:31 AM
Thank You for your contributions thus far.
I've read them all with great interest
and found much food for thought.

The Labor Party's unified strategy thus far seems
to be putting them ahead of the disunited
Liberals. But it is
still a while to go before the next election and
as rache pointed out they could still shoot themselves
in the foot. The Liberals need to seriously listen
to the concerns of the voters - and again as rache
points out - reach out with their policies.
They can no longer afford to take things for granted.
People are demanding more from their politicians.
Party loyalties are declining.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 30 July 2018 12:08:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy