The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Carp and the Herpes virus

Carp and the Herpes virus

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Should we risk the introduction of a virus not yet seen here to wipe out Carp? given the recent news Prawn white spot may have already killed forever our once booming industry, and the fear deliberately miss labeled prawns infected have been sold and used as bait is this a good idea?cane toad and prickly pear come to mind dare we risk it?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 6 July 2018 7:02:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Years of work has already been done to check the virus doesn't affect other species. The only remaining contentious issue is whether dead carp would be a bigger danger to the river ecosystem than live ones. I very much doubt they would, as I think they'd get eaten by other fish and birds. But hypothetically if they didn't and the job of removing them was left to bacteria, it would cause oxygen levels in the river to plummet, endangering its other inhabitants.
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 7 July 2018 4:42:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have watched the issue develop and am unsure dead carp is even near the issue, we have a very good reputation for being free of many illnesses and some country's are trying to clear their country of this one, right now Japan and other country's are holding back on importing our live eel exports and yes this carp is exported too,in NSW at least we have fishing licences, just maybe some of the many grants it funds could be given as prize money in most carp caught comps? the carp could be turned in to animal food, or like an existing industry used for garden fertilizer
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 7 July 2018 5:00:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

According to the link that I've given below - carp
have established themselves throughout the entire
Murray-Darling Basin and they now make up 90% of the
fish biomass in parts of the Basin. We're told that
although it can't be proven that they contribute to
the degradation of our rivers - their dominance must
certainly contribute to the problem.

The link re-assures us that all safety precautions
will be taken with the introduction of the virus to
ensure that other species (including humans) will not
be put at risk. However, I'm not sure that getting rid
of the dead fish won't present a problem. Still, I'm not
sure that doing nothing is a plausible choice.
Here's the link:

http://www.pestsmart.org.au/carp-herpes-faq/
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 July 2018 6:52:56 PM
"The link re-assures us that all safety precautions
be put at risk"

and if they're wrong?
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 7 July 2018 8:42:39 PM
//"The link re-assures us that all safety precautions
be put at risk"

and if they're wrong?//

Don't worry about it mate, you probably already have herpes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4VcOQzQm0
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 7 July 2018 10:50:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy