The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Road Trauma and Mobile Phones

Road Trauma and Mobile Phones

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Cont

Now I'll get to the Shunter, Train Driver & the Assistant. The shunter, amazingly survived with a few scratches. He was riding on the front of the Diesel & thrown clear. How is a miracle. The Assistant was still in the Cabin, dead with his guts hanging out & blood everywhere. I had to retrieve the Paperwork. The Driver was missing & presumed to be underneath the Diesel. I was the Crane Slingsman so I had to fix the slings to lift the Diesel off him. When the Crane lifted the Diesel I had to fix a rope on the body in order to drag it clear of the wreck.

Strangely, the people the Police had the most trouble in keeping Gawkers away was from the women with their children & prams in tow.

At the Time I was on my annual leave & was brought in to do the dirty work because no-one else wanted to do it. They said I was used to dead mangled bodies because of Vietnam, that's why I was called in.

Did I ever tell you why I don't like people using Mobile Phones whilst they are driving?
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 26 June 2018 12:04:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Toni, hands free mobile phones are legal in all states I believe.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 26 June 2018 12:55:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz yes radio is quite different, and police know it and use it, and yes to the comment hands free are legal this if it is about human rights should be about the right of innocent victims not the users
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 26 June 2018 2:04:42 PM
//The other thing I get a laugh out of is on a bus or train. The bloke sitting next to me, say about 30 years old, in a business suit, going the clappers with his fingers on the phone, what's he doing, I glance across....playing some stupid game a 7 year old would play. Then there is the silly girl down the back of the bus or on the train, who thinks everyone on board is interested to hear her side of the CONVERSATION.//

I hear ya, brother. I catch the train a lot, and I always go for the quiet carriage. And I'd say that on average, on about one out of five trips, there is some twat who can't read the signs that say 'Quiet Carriage... turn off phones and keep conversation to minimum (some of us are trying to sleep)'.

My strategy is to get up and change seats - so that you're sitting right next to them. And then just sit there silently, as quiet carriage etiquette dictates. For some reason it tends to make people nervous, and they usually bolt after they've finished whatever tedious business they were up to with their wretched telephonic device.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 26 June 2018 11:03:57 PM
There are laws in place, in every state that bans the use of mobiles whilst driving.
The use of a mobile of itself is not the enemy or the problem.
According to the law makers, they have come at it from a safety angle. To clarify, it's not the talking that's the problem, but the fact that you will be driving with only one hand on the wheel, and that's all. What I do is answer the phone one button later, activating the speaker, or hands free, which I can do with my eyes on the road, having done it so many times before and it is a simple act.
Then immediately proceed to put it back in my top pocket and talk with both my hands on the wheel.
It's exactly the same act as if I took it out to turn it off, only quicker.
Now before you all come jumping in with the idea that for those few seconds I was handling the phone, I was distracted.
Gotcha there.
It takes me less time and no distraction or deviation to the job at hand, driving, to answer the phone than it does if I want to use any of the buttons and switches on the dashboard and console or anywhere else within the drivers control.
As I have said previously, I do not respect the law because it was conceived to make life easier for the legal system and nothing to do with safety or saving lives.
This is just their sales pitch, all along focusing on the true prize.
Revenue. If you really want to know how low these vermin are, and only one of the reasons they should be beaten to a pulp, including the govy's. To ensure they bleed people of as much money as they can, in WA if you pull over and not just become stationary with the handbrake on or in 'park', as long as the keys are in the ignition, you will be deemed to be driving, or as they put it, 'in control of a motor vehicle'.
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 27 June 2018 3:33:33 AM
continued..............
and you will cop a fine, which can double on public holidays and the like.
Now if you don't think that booking someone for doing the right thing, pulling over, stopping the car and taking himself out of harms way, is not a good and appropriate thing to do, then your as evil and
conniving as the legal system and the govt.
Because those empowered with the job of protecting the public either are just not up to it or they have taken on an attitude of superiority.
There is no valour in what these cops do.
They are just scum and I for one demonstrate no respect but much indifference towards them.
They're that bad that the police force need publicists and advertising campaigns to try to garner a modicum of respect from the public.
Well only the neuters and marshmellows think they're OK.
For every act of good they do they really play it up with adverts and bravery medals and all the usual BS, they have a list of hundreds of stuff ups you don't hear about.
They will not get this respect they so desperately seek while they keep up this moronic revenue raising policy and un-ethical and arrogant posturing.
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 27 June 2018 3:55:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11