The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Politicians Private Life, Should It Be Public?

A Politicians Private Life, Should It Be Public?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. All
What has been an open secret for months, the Murdoch Press through its mouthpiece ‘The Daily Telegraph’ has chosen to make public the sordid details of Nationals leader Barneby Joyce’s marriage breakup, by splashing it across the papers front page. Not only giving details of the mans marriage collapse, the paper made public the details of a former Joyce staffer’s pregnancy to Joyce. The justification from the ‘Telegraph’ for this gross invasion of the mans private life, is as a public figure, the public have a right to know.
Should public figures be subjected to detailed investigation of their private lives. It helps sell trashy magazines and newspapers like ‘The Daily Telegraph’ but does it serve the public good?
Not known as a political ally of the Nationals, Greens MP Adam Bandt descried the reporting as “Disgraceful”.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-07/barnaby-joyce-speaks-about-new-relationship/9406352
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 8 February 2018 5:27:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405 asks : "Should public figures be subjected to detailed investigation of their private lives."

The simple short answer for politicians is absolutely YES.

The reason why is because politicians make the laws which encode the morals of our society, so their own morals MUST be open and available to scrutiny by the public. Every aspect and detail of their whole life needs to be accessible to the public.

But this should not only be limited to politicians. Also the past history and current life of judges need to be available since they often make judgments regarding what they perceive the morals/standards of our society.

Along with these people the lives of leaders of religions, academics and public "thinkers" who extol to the general public from an elevated position what is morally right and wrong needs to be available to examination without restriction.

However, as an example of people that we don't require the right to intrude upon their personal lives are the likes of sportsmen, celebrities and the wealthy (unless they have a habit of telling us/dictating to us how we should live). These people, just like the common everyday person, have a right to privacy.
Posted by thinkabit, Thursday, 8 February 2018 10:40:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not sure on this one. My first reaction was - Yes - it
should remain private - especially if it does not concern
his constituents in any way. Who are we to judge? But then -
heck - a politician willingly enters the public arena -
so he's got to be
prepared that what he does in private will have a ripple effect
eventually.

Am I wrong? Don't know. Anyone else like to have a say
and convince me why it should or should not be kept private?
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 8 February 2018 11:30:18 AM
Public figures give up their privacy the minute they go public, and the public has the right to know just how seedy some of them are. Joyce has revealed that he is, at the very least, a hypocrite. He was right to talk about the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman, and right to speak against SSM. But he was trashing his own marriage at the same time. I can't do anything about the grub, but I hope voters in his electorate do. He now has two big strikes against him: his dual citizenship, now this. He should not remain on our payroll.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 8 February 2018 12:13:25 PM
Dear ttbn,

You argue a good case. I know that Barnaby has received
a lot of criticism from people for some of his actions.
However, as far as I can tell - many in his electorate
support him. He won hands down when he ran opposite
Tony Windsor - so he must be doing something right at
least - as far
as his voters are concerned.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 8 February 2018 12:34:44 PM
Foxy,

It's up to the people in his electorate. As far as beating Windsor, I would vote for Barnaby if that was the choice. Hell, I would vote for Mickey Mouse before Windsor. I hope he is no reason no relation to Elizabeth Windsor.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 8 February 2018 1:23:02 PM
Dear Paul,

Putting the pregnant staffer's picture on the front page was reprehensible.

However outing Barnaby's hypocrisy is not. the strongest argument he could muster against SSM was that it apparently hurt our trade with neighbouring countries.

“I think that what we have to understand is that when we go there, there are judgements, whether you like it or not, that are made about us, and they see in how we negotiate with them whether they see us as – whether they see us as decadent”

It was laughable of course but I'm wondering whether Joyce will now refrain from negotiating any trade agreements and send someone else in his place? Or does he not think impregnating someone who works for you behind your wife's back qualifies as decadent?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 8 February 2018 1:33:25 PM
Forgotten all the filth thrown at Julia Gillards private life have you rwnj's?
Hypocrites one and all.
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 8 February 2018 2:30:09 PM
Dear ttbn,

Tony Windsor - a relation to Elizabeth Windsor?

You got me there.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 8 February 2018 3:12:31 PM
A Politicians Private Life, Should It Be Public?
- I say 'Yes. absolutely'.

As a public figure he deserves no more respect or privacy than one has for gossiping over salacious Hollywood celebrities.

In fact politician's private lives - the true and sordid details of the real people we elect - rather than a 'public persona' they offer - is of more interest to the public because it helps us decide who these people REALLY ARE and whether or not they are honorable people worthy of our votes.

What makes him or anyone else in public office as an elected leader think the details of their private lives is not a matter of public interest - of course it is.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 8 February 2018 3:31:06 PM
I have been told this afternoon, by a very reliable source that Adam Bandt's "disgraceful" description of the reporting was in relation to the treatment of the staffer, and not Joyce.

I was of two minds, but reading thinkabit's post and other comments, that's about right. I mentioned the matter during the by-election as I thought Joyce was working hard to protect his arse from any voter fallout should it become public knowledge through the media at that time.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 8 February 2018 5:25:46 PM
Considering that not too long ago Billy Shorten cheated on his wife with a married woman and knocked her up, then divorced his wife and married his mistress.

Not to mention that Shorten has been accused of rape #MeToo?

Those that throw stones should not live in glass houses.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 8 February 2018 8:16:32 PM
Engaging in a bit of deflection there Shadow. As far as I'm aware Shortens been on the quite side on this.

Your man Barnyard might be tagged a hypocrite, championing the sanctity of heterosexual marriage during the SSM debate, while having an extramarital affair at the same time. Claims to be a practising Catholic, full of piety on a Sunday, but the rest of the week, well you know what.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 8 February 2018 8:55:16 PM
Barnaby Joyce is a blatant hypocrite and stands condemned. Supporting the sanctity of marriage between a man and a women, denying LGBTIQ people the same right while he is playing Captain Catholic alongside his other hypocritical adulterer school Mate (Iggys) Tony Abbot and simultaneously having an extramarital affair, destroying his family and bringing the institution he so loves into disrepute.

He should resign. There is no penalty strong enough for him and all this was kept from the good burghers of New England. No wonder country areas struggle with people like him representing them.

I don't think there should be restrictions on reporting his demise and that of his family. He is part of a government that doesn't think twice about the demise of other families struggling to make ends meet while he cuts their penalty rates and he earns How much...!!? He is part of a government that incarcerates people on remote detention centres, splitting up their families so why should anyone give a damn what happens to him and his family? Of course a politician’s public life should be public. It shows them for the disgusting hypocritical slime they really are.

ON the other side there may be stuff to come out about Shorten and I don’t think he would welcome attention on politicians' private lives given his own chequered past.
Posted by Metal Guru, Thursday, 8 February 2018 9:56:50 PM
Two sides to the coin in my opinion.

On the one hand I think being too exposed to the public's scrunity is harmful to anyone. You can't please everyone, which often means celebrities try to give off a certian persona to the press and media as a whole, regardless of how they are privitely. The less privicy they have the more harm I think it does to them, to their personal lives and their families, and possibly to how well they do their job. I use celebrities as an example because it shows how often their lives fall apart. I assume haaving no privacy has a part in that.

On the other hand I do agree that politicians need at least some scrutiny. They make the laws, and how often there is corruption in politics they need to be held accountable. But I don't believe giving up their privacy completely is healthy for anyone. And I don't want an added unhealthy element affecting those who run the governments. So I'd say they have less right to privacy. Not no right to it though.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Friday, 9 February 2018 3:48:37 AM
Joyce is no celebrity!
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 9 February 2018 8:06:38 AM
Paul,

I have always supported SSM partially because so often hetero marriages are a shoddy example, so you are largely preaching to the converted.

The point is that the media is treating BJ as though he is the first polly to have an affair. The example I gave is of BS who as a cabinet minister had a far more damaging affair and has been accused of rape, and the press has been largely silent.

So my question is why has the standard on privacy suddenly changed? Is it because the community has changed or because it was a coalition MP?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 9 February 2018 8:29:41 AM
I don't want to make anybody pregnant, but at 92 I still wish I could do it. I condemn Barnaby Joyce, but I don't share his politics. If I did share his politics I might say his private life is none of my business. I merely hope he doesn't serve too many of his constituents. I consider population growth a great problem, but babies are generally cute.
Posted by david f, Friday, 9 February 2018 9:57:06 AM
//So my question is why has the standard on privacy suddenly changed?//

Probably because Barnaby was making such a big song and dance about the sanctity of marriage quite recently.

Silly thing to do really: since he knew that he was cheating on his wife and it would only be a matter of time before all the sordid details emerged, it would have been a strategically sound decision not to keep banging on out about the sanctity of marriage. Because now that the cat is out of the bag, he's left looking like a massive hypocrite. And I think it's the hypocrisy that gets up peoples noses a lot more than the adultery.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 9 February 2018 10:33:58 AM
Come on people.

We have had 2 Labor prime ministers recently who had affairs. Hawke & Gillard. In Gillard's case at least one was with a married man.

We had a Labor minister having an affair with the leader of the Democrats. People who spend a lot of time far from home, & in close proximity with some members of the opposite sex are in a position where such behaviour is more likely.

No, politicians have no right to any special privacy, but we are a sexual species, it is going to happen, & it is time those pretending to be goody goody two shoes, gave up the fake outrage.

Anyone who has never seen at least one member of the opposite sex & thought they wouldn't mind a night with that one, is either prepubescent, or a homosexual. Give it a rest.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 9 February 2018 10:46:07 AM
This case is a bit different.

And here's why - if a gay teacher, or carer, or a nurse's
private life is relevant to their employment - why
shouldn't the private life of the second most powerful
man in the country not be up for debate? Especially when he
represents himself as living by values that he seeks to impose
on others.

Personally I don't think that photos of Barnaby's new partner,
Vicky Campion, should be published. Nor do I particularly care
what people do in their private lives. However, Barnaby
can't defend the
sanctity of marriage whilst cheating on his wife with a staffer.
And more to the point - expect to not be questioned.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 9 February 2018 3:19:22 PM
On a lighter note...

Here's a poem for Barnaby:

"I blow my pipes,
The glad birds sing,
The fat young nymphs about me spring.
The sweaty centaur leaps the trees
And bites his dryad's splendid knees.

The sky, the water, and the earth
Repeat aloud our noisy mirth
Anon, tight-bellied bacchanals
With ivy from the vineyard walls
Lead out and crown with shinning glass
The wine's red baby on the grass.

I blow my pipes,
The glad birds sing
The fat young nymphs about me spring
I am the lord, I am the lord, I am the lord
Of everything."

(Hugh McCrae).
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 9 February 2018 3:31:01 PM
Foxy,

What do you make of Shorten's infidelity?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 9 February 2018 3:49:41 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Not much.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 9 February 2018 5:27:05 PM
Questions are being asked if public money was misused to move Ms Campion to a “high-salary” digital and social media position in the office of Nationals Senator Matt Canavan, who previously served as Mr Joyce’s chief of staff. The position wasn’t filled in the months after Ms Campion left Canavan's office.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 9 February 2018 5:37:30 PM
I agree with Foxy's point that his partner should have been left out of this. The ex-wife has also been in the papers and she should not have been mentioned.

I also agree with the widely held view that spoke of the sanctity of traditional marriage while having an affair. However, we have all cast some type of moral judgement and we have all failed to live up to our own standards at some stage in our life. Those people who judge others harshly for hypocracy rarely seem to fully grasp the concept.

@guru Whatever his faults, I am not aware of Mr Abbott having cheated on his wife. I wonder if you aren't confused.
Posted by benk, Friday, 9 February 2018 7:51:09 PM
Turnbull surprised me again today by mentioning how Joyce's wife and daughters must be feeling. Very sensitive and thoughtful of him.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 9 February 2018 8:52:20 PM
The questions about the job for Ms Campion, which need to be answered. How, and where was the "job" advertised, how many other applicants were interviewed, how much was the salary, how was it determined, why was the position unfilled after Ms Campion left and was the position available before Ms Campion arrived on the scene. If the public are paying for this, which they were, they have a right to know. We don't need to know how many times a week her and Barnyard were bonking.
I suspect the highly paid job just materialised out of thin air, and disappeared just as quickly. I also suspect it was not advertised, and Ms Campion was the only applicant.

Bit like Turnballs 10% average pay hike given to his staffers recently, by Turnballs himself. While the rest of the PS have their pay increases capped at 2%.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 10 February 2018 5:16:51 AM
With the technology available to prevent conception the objects of our concern may have been swept up in an all-consuming passion. If so they were a man and a woman acting as men and women have been for ages, and it was not a cold, calculating union, but a moment of passion such as those who have experienced it are fortunate to know. The fact they are now living together might mean the feeling continues. While it seems as though there was corruption in the job made for Campion and the family has been severely injured human nature has triumphed.
Posted by david f, Saturday, 10 February 2018 8:57:48 AM
//What do you make of Shorten's infidelity?//

Was Shorten going on about the sanctity of marriage whilst he was 'hiking the Appalachian trail? Because if he wasn't then his adultery was just adultery, not hypocrisy as well.

Silly old Barnaby. He could have had his affair and nobody would have given a damn (except his wife, presumably), as long as he had the sense to keep his stupid mouth shut during the SSM debate.

//However, we have all cast some type of moral judgement and we have all failed to live up to our own standards at some stage in our life.//

We're not all politicians and thus not under constant scrutiny and held to a higher standard than the plebs. It concerns me that Barnaby 'Sanctity of Marriage' Joyce just doesn't seem to have realised that his rank hypocrisy would tarnish his political image.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 10 February 2018 9:03:35 AM
Dear Toni,

Well said!
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 10 February 2018 9:31:54 AM
Toni,

As Barnaby was not campaigning for a No vote, nor did he vote against SSM, the media discrimination based on his beliefs is extremely tenuous, especially since Shorten has hypocrisy in spades campaigning for one side of issues then the opposite purely dependent on political expedience.

Foxy,

It is good to see that your hypocrisy is still strong.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 10 February 2018 10:22:35 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

My hypocrisy still strong?

Checkmate!

Gotta laugh!

Your self-righteousness always screams judgements against
others who are not of your particular political ilk -
simply to protect and hide the noise of the skeletons
dancing in your own closets - now that's real hypocrisy!

We're all talking about other people's personal lives here and
you are also part of this conversation - and bringing up Bill
Shorten's infidelity to somehow demean him. Which was totally
unnecessary. We all know what a shapeshifter the man happens
to be.

However, hopefully Barnaby will learn something from this
experience - that if you wear a mask for too long, there
will come a time when you can't remove it without removing
your face.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 10 February 2018 12:36:12 PM
cont'd ...

BTW - Shadow Minister, how much longer are you going
to keep hiding in the shadows?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 10 February 2018 12:41:08 PM
Foxy,

So because Shorten is a slimy weasel he gets a free pass?

And this?

Italy and Spain were the favoured destinations of Tony Burke when he embarked on a ministerial travel extravaganza that included first-class flights with senior staffer Skye Laris, who is now his partner.

Mr Burke’s expense claims show that in 2008-09 he racked up $225,000 in overseas travel costs. The Australian understands he was accompanied on most of these trips by Ms Laris.

"In January 2009, Mr Burke travelled with Ms Laris in his role as agriculture minister to attend a forum in Barcelona known as “Food Security for All”. Both travelled first-class along with two departmental officials with Mr Burke’s expenses for the six-day trip totalling $48,951. Shortly afterwards, Mr Burke promoted Ms Laris from adviser to chief of staff and stipulated that she accompany him on all of his domestic and overseas trips.

Mr Burke separated from his wife, Cathy Bresnan-Burke, in 2012. His relationship with Ms Laris became public two years later."
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 11 February 2018 7:50:46 AM
//campaigning for one side of issues then the opposite purely dependent on political expedience.//

Well, yeah... he's a politician. It's what they do.

//And this?

Italy and Spain were the favoured destinations of Tony Burke when he embarked on a ministerial travel extravaganza that included first-class flights with senior staffer Skye Laris, who is now his partner.//

Good grief, are you intending to give us an exhaustive list of every non-Tory politician's infidelities? Did you miss the bit where I said I think it's the hypocrisy that gets up peoples noses a lot more than the adultery?

Anyways, if we're going to turn this into a comprehensive list of politicians' adulterous adventures (although I'm not entirely sure what you think that would prove) I think you should include those from the other side of politics, if not so much for balance as a good laugh. The British Conservative Party, ably assisted by the British tabloids have produced some highly entertaining sex scandals in their time. Here's the most recent:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4804173/sex-pest-dossier-names-six-cabinet-ministers-and-senior-allies-of-pm/

"Amid the most startling claims is that there is a video in circulation of a male MP being urinated on by three men."

We just don't make 'em like that in Australia. The British seem to have a far a better class of sexual deviants and perverts in their Parliament. Britain, I salute you!
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 11 February 2018 9:20:51 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Pointing fingers at others - does not excuse
the bad behaviour of those one supports -
especially since the one you support carried
on about the sanctity of marriange whilst
impregnating a staffer. No excuse. Bad show!
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 11 February 2018 10:38:00 AM
Qld premier Pluckachook has split up with her partner. Off to join Joyce's harem?
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 11 February 2018 11:17:44 AM
Joyce's affair isn't the main issue for me. The fact that a job was created for his mistress does, so does the fact they both are now staying rent free in boutique accommodation supplied by the owner of a large trucking firm while Joyce is the Minister for Transportation.

Where is our ICAC?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 11 February 2018 3:00:53 PM
Toni,

If hypocrisy is really what gets your goat then the fact that Burke was Labor's attack dog on parliamentary expenses while taking his mistress with him first class to a wide variety of destinations all on the taxpayer's dime.

Foxy,

And pointing to the bad behaviour on one side only whilst completely ignoring the bad behaviour on the other side is hypocrisy.

SR,

More unsubstantiated finger wagging?

Considering that Vikki Campion was competent staffer and that the office of finance has no authority to dictate who can and can't fill a MP's staffer position, there are no rules broken.

As BJ has listed the accomodation as a donation, again there are no rules broken.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 11 February 2018 3:14:35 PM
Remember that Bob Hawke was shagging his secretary while PM and married.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 11 February 2018 3:35:29 PM
//Remember that Bob Hawke was shagging his secretary while PM and married.//

Yep, it's pathetic... could do so much better.

I mean, Tory MP's are one thing, but if Bob Hawke had sat in the House of Lords he'd not have just been shagging his secretary, he'd have been performing the act of sexual perversion known as 'taking tea with the parson', or 'a Tennessee log jammer' for our American cousins, which common decency forbids me from describing in pubic forum. Suffice to say that it involves a ladder, and usually takes place in Brentford...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVzBcIXJXTo&t=87s
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 11 February 2018 4:47:10 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

I did not ignore the bad behaviour of anybody.
On the contrary - however you attempt to deflect by
pointing to the bad behaviour of others, while
ignoring that of those you support politically.
That is hypocrisy. And rather lame. But that's nothing
new from you.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 11 February 2018 5:26:57 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Strewth mate you can be a right partisan tosser sometimes.

You wrote;

“More unsubstantiated finger wagging? Considering that Vikki Campion was competent staffer and that the office of finance has no authority to dictate who can and can't fill a MP's staffer position, there are no rules broken.”

Campion was transferred to Canavan's office when the PM insisted after learning about the relationship with Joyce. After Canavan got the chop she was then transferred to Damian Drum's office as a media advisor even though he already had one in Callum Whitehead thereby increasing Drum's staff from 6 to 7. Whitehead was on $80,000 a year by Campion came in at over $100,000.

This stinks to high heaven, it is corrupt and a blatant use of taxpayer's money for personal gain.

If you are really going to support all this then your moral and ethical compasses are that severely off I'm not sure you can be regarded as anything other than a political hack.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 11 February 2018 6:33:17 PM
Foxy,

I have not actually commented on BJ's affair at all. The point I am pursuing is that the resident left whingers have spent their time coming up with the flimsiest reasons why Barnaby's indiscretion deserves special and greater attention than the multiple similar indiscretions of Labor MPs.

If Labor does pursue this, then this opens the floodgates to put under the microscope the lives of past and present MPs. For example Tanya Plibersek might not appreciate her drug dealer husband's past being exposed in excruciating detail for her children to see.

SR,

I look forward to the day when you are not partisan tosser. I suppose your ethics incl firing a pregnant employee? Can you show that she was not productive?

The rules around MPs' staffing has for decades been left deliberately open ended, with limits on total expenditure and travel expenses etc. MPs staffing has been used to train cadets, bring family into politics etc. If you start investigating this case, MT can easily open the books on every labor MP, and it won't be pretty.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 11 February 2018 6:52:59 PM
Many posters moralising about what is right and wrong while denying absolutes. Sick irrational failed secular dogma. Just shows you don't believe your irrational dogmas.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 11 February 2018 6:56:42 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

You really are a shocker aren't you. To be defending this is just a terrible look my friend.

Besides the maternal sense Campion was not adding to productivity at all. The reason she was moved from Joyce's office by the PM was not because of the pregnancy, but because the relationship had caused such severe dysfunction within it that the Chief of staff had resigned in protest.

Why on earth should this mean there are jobs invented out of thin air for her by the PM?

news.com.au reports that the job in Canavan's office was a constructed one as well. She went from social media adviser in Joyce's office to a senior adviser in Canavan's with nearly a 100% jump in pay and allowances. After Canavan was outed she was moved back to Joyce's office then on to Drum's at the same pay after a new position was created for her.

This is just a shocking example of inappropriate use and abuse of power and rightly is disgusting the majority of thinking Australians.

And you think it is entirely appropriate conduct. You are terribly out of touch mate. You might think the shite doesn't stink on your side of politics but wouldn't pass the pub test anywhere in the country outside of Canberra.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 11 February 2018 7:35:51 PM
Funny...

Shadow's gone all quiet about the subject of the subject of sexual impropriety since he's been reminded about some of the hilarious escapades of the British tories.

I wonder why that would be?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 11 February 2018 8:08:45 PM
Toni,

That you had to refer to the politicians from another country simply meant that you had bugger all relevant to Australia. I don't give a rats arse what the conservatives or Labour do in their spare time in the UK the US, France or anywhere else.

SR,

The moment you start referring to the "pub test" I know that you have bugger all. Luckily, parliamentary rules are not determined by drunken farts, so unless you can show where parliamentary rules were breached all you have is piss and vinegar.

Competent staffers in either party are often moved around or even shared to prevent them being lost when an MP loses office. That VC has been described as very competent by several sources would justify her new positions whether she was pregnant or not.

Your declaration that she was not productive in her new roles is simply your inability to differentiate between your opinion and the facts which are frequently very different.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 11 February 2018 8:40:33 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

The pub test is not about 'drunken old farts' but used to reflect the average Joe's judgement if something is believable or not, or beyond the pale.

Now I know you very much look down on the average Australian and are quite dismissive of their concerns. While they may not set the rules they most certainly get a say in who represents them. Barnaby is done like a dog's dinner. He will not be the leader of the Nats through to the next election and probably will not stand again.

According to your Murdoch press Campion nearly tore Barnaby's office apart. Part of anyone's job is to get along with their work colleagues and form a coherent team. She did exactly the opposite.

You, as always, are going to yet again be on the wrong side of history on this one.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 12 February 2018 12:30:44 AM
The Nationals “... recognise just how seriously Mr Joyce has been damaged by the revelations that he had an affair with a former staffer in his office”, and they are having a meeting to discuss his future this morning. (SMH). "He won't survive this if some evidence emerges of travel allowance misuse" one National MP said.

So, it's the money, not the appalling lack of morals Joyce has exhibited. Still, whatever might get rid of the silly man is fair.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 12 February 2018 9:53:54 AM
SR,

The "Pub Test" is one of those vague and fuzzy methods of judgement that are largely meaningless as 99% of what politicians do would not pass the pub test, which is why when someone resorts to this measure I know that they have bugger all else and are grasping at straws.

BJ's behaviour is morally questionable, but is mirrored by millions of family breakdowns in Aus and by multiple past and present MPs, (I now believe Nick Mc Kim has joined the list) but given his previous poor judgement his choices now lie between abandoning his wife and family or his pregnant mistress which is Hobson's choice.

Given that Joyce has handed over all relevant information over to the press on a FOI, any breaches of the parliamentary code will soon come to light and if this occurs then his career is over. Otherwise all there is is innuendo, and he deserves the same treatment or lack of it that Shorten and Burke experienced.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 12 February 2018 10:19:00 AM
Well if Mrs Joyce hadn't been interviewed we would not have been 'enlightened' re Barnaby's 'Love Child'. Mind you I feel sympathy for Mrs Joyce and her daughters. We don't know the whole story either. Maybe the Joyces were estranged before the affair started or not. But he cheated on her, and this will embarrass his public profile. We note that his portfolio has changed from Agriculture to transportation. There were questions about moving the Canberra based Pests and Veterinarian department to Armidale. I don't think this was tenable but this was before the bi-election and news of his separation. That came out after he got in. He certainly didn't mention it during his election. He was very quiet, and for good reason, the news was about to break.

Someone on a blog, said, Jesus forgives all, and so should we. My answer was 'yes' but the law doesn't. I don't think Barnaby was going to let this out, but his wife had different ideas. (Gudonher) And Vicki will get some public and political isolation, but that's the risk we take. C'est la vie'. I don't like him actually as a man or politician, seemed overwhelmed by taking on a Federal seat, to me anyway. If Tony Windsor hadn't backed out, having manipulated Richard Torbay from the scene and Richard has yet to be charged for any misconduct. He would not have stood a chance I feel. But he romped in during the bi-election, only being challenged in a pub, when someone approached him about his separation for which he knocked the man's hat off.
Posted by Bush bunny, Monday, 12 February 2018 2:35:15 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

You wrote;

“The "Pub Test" is one of those vague and fuzzy methods of judgement(sic) that are largely meaningless as 99% of what politicians do would not pass the pub test “

What? Did you just make that up because it certainly looks like it?

This is pretty simple mate even though you appear to be struggling with it. How many people at your local pub would think what happened with Campion was above board if we asked them? 1 in 10? 1 in 100? I would say your type would be the only outliers so probably 1 in 10,000.

So how much further are you going to defend Joyce? When are you going to cut the fool loose? Might be time to jump.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 12 February 2018 9:28:27 PM
SR,

Cut BJ loose? Sure as long as you apply the same "pub test" and consequences to Shorten and Burke.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 6:11:38 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

The former relationships of these ministers did not
break any ministerial rules - unfortunately the same
cannot be said for Mr Joyce. Apparently as former
Liberal Leader John Hewson has pointed out - Mr Joyce's
future has been under question for quite some time, and
this could be an opportunity to rein him in.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 9:37:23 AM
Foxy,

At least you are not relying on a self administered, birdbrained "pub test"

However, there is no evidence as yet that BJ has broken any ministerial rules, and certainly no more that Burke who spent roughly $250 000 swanning around Europe first class with his staffer/mistress.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 10:32:01 AM
will the demise of Jocye mean that the likes of Hanson and Shorten will also be scrutinized for their behaviour? Those lying about citizenship will seem as nothing if many of the Labour/Liberal/Greens are looked at. The lying secularist who always claimed that private life does not affect public performance once again demonstrate their irrationality and hypocrisy.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 11:04:22 AM
Dear runner,

You wrote;

“The lying secularist who always claimed that private life does not affect public performance once again demonstrate their irrationality and hypocrisy.”

Give me a break. You are a bloody Trump supporter. Enough said.

Dear Shadow Minister,

You do know that the 'pub test' is a figure of speech mate. Stop acting like it is a quantitative survey. Indeed stop being so damn churlish.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 11:30:39 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

It is a pity that this entire matter has turned
political. However, I suppose this was inevitable.
But, until this matter is resolved - even the
suspicion of any wrong-doing should prompt a
decent Member of Parliament to resign from their
current post instead of bringing their party into
disrepute and undermining the workings of their
government.

Mr Joyce needs to resign now. There are too many
questions that need answers.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 12:02:38 PM
' Give me a break. You are a bloody Trump supporter. Enough said.'

really Steelie. Certainly wish I did get the opportunity to ensure Hillary and her pitiful supporters would not get the opportunity to ruin America even more than Obama tried. Unfortunately as an Aussie I di not get to vote.

btw have you mob stop throwing pathetic tantrums yet?
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 12:04:48 PM
SR,

As a figure of speech I am surprised that you tried to defend it. When you use the "pub test", you mean that you are convinced that your opinion represents the opinions of everyone else. It is presumptuous and inane to the point of stupidity.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 12:10:13 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Most people would find Mr Joyce's behaviour rather
questionable. Politics aside. I'm surprised that
you don't.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 12:43:02 PM
how is it that the sanctity of marriage is now such a high priority to those who have tried to trash the covenant all their lives? Oh thats right it about sides.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 1:52:58 PM
Dear runner,

No, this is not about taking sides at all.
It's about politicians who don't put their
money where their mouths are and don't practice
what they preach to others.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 1:55:46 PM
Foxy,

I certainly don't approve of BJ's behaviour, however, I think that he is trying to do the least harm in the circumstances and I am more interested in a politician's performance in parliament than in the bedroom.

As for your "resigning on suspicion", both Shorten and Burke have far more questions to answer than BJ, with Shorten having a standing accusation of rape against him.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 2:56:45 PM
Hi Foxy

' No, this is not about taking sides at all.
It's about politicians who don't put their
money where their mouths are and don't practice
what they preach to others.'

and what is it Barnaby preached to others? That he believed it is best for children to have a stable dad and mum. Surely his failed actions and damage he has done to his own family (and lets not pretend the young lady had no part to play) proves his point.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 3:05:44 PM
Dear runner,

Mr Joyce preached on the sanctity of marriage - and was very
focal about the behaviour of others - while covering up his
own behaviour. That is not good enough for a Member of
Parliament and a Deputy PM and the political leader of his party.
Questions need answering.

Such as:
Did he abuse his power? - in the fact that his mistress was a
paid staff member in his office.

Was there a misuse of public funds?.

For example - by travelling
together for work - when in reality it was to spend quality
time together.

what were the expectations
associated with Mr Joyce's receiving free accommodation for
6 months for himself and his lover from a local and influential
businessman. Mr Joyce's portfolio is Transport - and this
businessman ownes a fleet of trucks.

Also there's
Mr Turnbull's actions that are a concern. By evading the
question of finding alternative jobs for Ms Campion on two
occasions when it became clear her presence was disrupting
the Deputy PM's office - government jobs appeared out of
nowhere to employ Ms Campion at a salary of over $191,000.
She's been on that salary for months. How come?

These things can't just be ignored.

An independent inquiry needs to be set up to look into all
these things to see whether Mr Joyce has been deceiving the
public - and covering up on all these points. It's simply
not good enough to have this brushed under the rug.
Questions need to be answered and Mr Joyce should resign from
his office until things are cleared up.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 3:38:15 PM
Foxy

'Mr Joyce preached on the sanctity of marriage - and was very
focal about the behaviour of others - '

can you give an example? Whose behaviour are you talking about. Again the reaction of his broken wife and daughters shows what damage unfaithful husbands or wife cause. And this so called 'young' staffer has had a part to play.

If he misused his power or funds he should be sacked.

I think a number of pollies must be squirming. Parliament house is known for its immorality. Journalist are among the worse. I doubt whether many would want to dig to deep and they might be uncovered themselves
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 3:46:56 PM
Dear runner,

The Herald Sun and other media have pointed out that
Mr Joyce can't escape the fact that while he was preaching
to others about the sanctity of marriage during the
same-sex marriage debate - Mr Joyce was breaking his own
marriage vows. The Herald Sun says - We deserve better from
our elected officials. Mr Joyce needs to resign.

Another example is given in the following link:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/joyce-hypocritical-over-political-attack-ad-tony-windsor

In any case it's now up to the Prime Minister and the Nationals
to decide Mr Joyce's future.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 5:43:50 PM
The ABC reports that a sizeable proportion of National party members want Joyce to resign as leader. A growing number of MPs and senators think that his reputation has badly damaged and he cannot regain credibility.

His greatest asset in the past has been his “authenticity and believability", which is now in tatters. He has no moral authority.

The MPs are “tired of ….. phone calls from disgruntled voters.

If the man had any moral decency at all, who have resigned as party leader by now.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 5:48:02 PM
Foxy believing in the sanctity of marriage is the best for children and the relationship does not make u a hypocrite because of failure. Gillard,Hawke or Shorten would not have reached their heights if that was the case. I think you know that. It looks like he won't survive this anyway.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 6:44:04 PM
The chances are Bonking Barney will be gone by Friday. Given the popularity of the government, Turnballs can't afford to have a bloke who Joe Public perceives as a moral degenerate filling his shoes as acting PM next week, if ever. Although it is a decision of the hicks and hayseeds of the National Party as to whom should fill the deputy dog position for the Coalition, it will be Barnyard who will ultimately, with a whole lot of pushing and shoving from within, fall on his sward.

Shadow, if you are going to attempt to bail out the Titanic, I suggest you get a bigger thimble. Your attempt at defending the indefensible is at best, pathetic!
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 13 February 2018 7:29:12 PM
Paul,

I think you might be right, the coalition has far higher standards than labor and the greens and poor judgment may be a career killer for BJ.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 7:01:53 AM
Dear runner,

I agree. I don't think Mr Joyce will last for very long.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 7:11:25 AM
"moral degenerate" is good!
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 8:05:50 AM
The best that 'social conservative' Mathias Cormann could come up with when questioned about Joyce was: "Barnaby is ugly enough and big enough to speak for himself". Pathetic! And, as a foreigner, he got then the saying mixed up.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 8:36:11 AM
What's that big red blotch on Barnyards forehead? Did the "Cheese and Kisses" miss with a sharp right hook to the left eye, and hit his scone instead!

ttbn, your bloke Corny Banana has written Bonking Barney off completely, reckon's his goose is well and truly cooked.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 9:45:18 AM
There are already rumours circulating that if BJ leaves the cabinet, that QT in parliament might well have questions for Shorten on the rape case against him, for Burke, and I believe for one of the greens.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 9:53:27 AM
After several months of banning their reporters from writing the story, Murdoch has finally let the Joyce story loose.
There's probably a wider agenda at work - like an Abbott revival - and while the story is in this form they can maintain some control over it.

That's the way they've always worked - like the Kathy Jackson corruption they kept under wraps for well over a year while they were chasing Craig Thomson.

So far there's been no mention of Joyces's other staffer mistress or the drunken groping of teenagers at a Rural Womens' Fair or his hypocritical allegations of Tony Windsor's alleged infidelity during an election campaign (while he was having a bit on the side himself).

Then there's the "potential conflict of interest" landholding he said he was going to sell but five years later, it's still his.

A proven liar as well as a hypocrite.

This gives him the chance of making a reasonably quiet exit well before the next election because if the rest of the stories came out the Government would be flat out explaining why they kept it quiet for so long.

Funny, if it's a TV celebrity or sports star, they are fair game for the media and the public but if it's a certain politician (whose salary we pay) it's suddenly a question of "our right to know".
Posted by rache, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 11:01:08 AM
"There are already rumours circulating" from SM, "might well have questions for Shorten on the rape case against him, for Burke" all from SM, I SM "believe for one of the greens." (as well) Could SM be clutching at straws!
Keep bailing Shadow, but alas down goes the SS Coalition, Captain Turnballs, first mate Barnyard and the rest of the motley crew. All hands lost overboard without a trace.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 11:04:43 AM
I also don't think this affair will open up a round of "tit-for-tat" allegations.

The last things the Government needs is another "Australian Citizenship" style distraction from trying to sell us their list of (so-called) achievements, or yet another reason to distrust and abhor politicians.

Saying "he murdered ten people but I only murdered nine, therefore I'm a better person" rarely works when you're trying to act important.
Posted by rache, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 11:08:56 AM
The ABC has revealed that Joyce's military was wrong, too. He served 3 years less than was on record. Trivial, maybe, but the little things add up.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 2:06:19 PM
Well the abc spent weeks talking about Abbott punching the air 40 years ago. At least the focus can now turn to Barnaby who seemed to copy Bill Shorten minus the rape allegation.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 2:20:11 PM
Rache,

When the accusation of rape against BS first arose MT kept quiet, and said nothing to prevent harm to BS and his family as MT said that he wanted the debate to be on the issues.

Less than 2 years later, the tables are turned and Labor is on it like a rash making political capital. Labor has opened Pandora's box and if the libs go for their personal lives, they have no one but themselves to blame.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 2:28:54 PM
Shadow, another one of your claims gone out the window; "QT in parliament might well have questions for Shorten on the rape case against him, for Burke, and I believe for one of the greens."

A case of wishful thinking on your part.

From the start all Joyce has been interested in is saving his political bacon. The mealy-mouthed nonsense he went on with yesterday, was an attempt to garner sympathy, by painting himself as a man of contrition, when all he is, is a self servicing hypocrite!
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 6:53:42 PM
'The mealy-mouthed nonsense he went on with yesterday, was an attempt to garner sympathy, by painting himself as a man of contrition, when all he is, is a self servicing hypocrite!' god has spoken.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 7:42:20 PM
Only if there was a God, runner! You believe in a mythical being, not me. Then you jump on here and preach your religious clap trap, running down those who don't swallow your biblical BS. I am not surprised by the antics of the Catholic hypocrite Joyce, typical Christian behaviour, preach one thing, then do the opposite. He should join the priesthood, he would fit right in with the rest of you.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 8:33:37 PM
Catholicism and Christianity are not responsible for Joyce's actions; he alone is responsible for them. He hasn't acted the way he has because of religion. He has acted that way because he is a weak human being who has ignored his religion.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 14 February 2018 10:38:43 PM
If there was anything substantial to the Shorten allegations I'm sure they would have been raised by the many sanctimonious mud-slingers in the Liberal Party by now - especially when they've been continuously on the ropes for so long.

Who can forget the Credlin "Gillard file" white folder paraded around in Parliament when they were gunning for her years ago?

This is their modus operandi. Every ALP leader has been personally attacked at some time because it's easier than debating policy.

These Joyce allegations have been around since at least last October but were not raised by the ALP, they were intentionally made public by a Murdoch journalist and they are the ones controlling the narrative. There is much more to the story but comment has been restricted to what's been printed.

How is it that a political party with only 6% of the vote (even the Greens have 10%) can decide who should be deputy PM? Then they elect a Les Patterson-style boozing embarrassment who didn't even have the common sense not to drive a Government owned 4WD into a swollen creek and write it off and wept on election night because "nobody else loved Gina Reinhardt" as much as he did.

There's no point blaming the ALP - this is entirely their own doing.

Bananaby isn't the victim here - it's his estranged wife and daughters.

The interesting question should be why Murdoch is finally making his move.
Posted by rache, Thursday, 15 February 2018 8:01:19 AM
rache, do you believe Joyce has any feelings for anyone, other than himself, over this whole affair. His mission seems one of political survival, his biggest regret is being found out.

In the six weeks the fool was booted from Parliament. unaware to them, grass roots National Party members were paying Barnyards Parliamentary salary of over $400,000 pa. about $48,000. The nong nong from the Liberal Party John Alexander received nothing.
This get worse, forget the salary joke, every cloud has a silver lining. The taxpayer is parting with $152,992 in payments to the National Party for Barnyard contesting the by-election
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 15 February 2018 8:28:10 AM
Joyce received free rent on a flat in Armidale, from local businessman Greg Maguire, worth an estimated $460 per week, the rent on the love nest was waived for Mr Joyce and his new partner. The six-month rent free period represents about $14,000. Always good to have friends in high places, never know when you will need a favour in return.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 15 February 2018 8:37:54 AM
If anyone is interested, Judith Sloan has a list of economic reasons in The Australian why Joyce would not be a loss, with his penchant for spending other people's money on agrarian socialist projects. His buck-rabbit like sexual activities and lack of personal morals might just be an opener for a lot more faults to be revealed.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 15 February 2018 9:39:07 AM
Paul,

Compared to SHY who is a prolific abuser of expenses this is small change. Remember this idiot spending $20 000 of taxpayers money to take her kids whale watching.

Rache,

The reason that Shorten is not facing court is because there were no witnesses and the labor intern was too scared to report the attack immediately. insufficient evidence is not innocent.

If you are talking about smear campaigns, Labor is the champion. This smear against BJ is a prime example of hypocrisy especially as Burke shagged his way around Europe with his staffer at taxpayer's expense.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 15 February 2018 10:23:08 AM
Dismissing $152,992 as small change, not to mention the total cost of small change the two by-elections cost the taxpayer! Nothing like the sense of entitlement from the so called Tories, from the born to rule class. Ah! Shadow.

When are those questions coming up about Shorten etc you claimed were about to be asked. Like your prediction of an imminent arrest in the 'Bolt Beat Up' case. Get it right for once.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 15 February 2018 10:54:02 AM
It's up to the National Party, the PM, and finally the
electorate to decide Mr Joyce's future.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what develops.
Of course Mr Joyce could save himself and his family
members, as well as his colleagues a great deal of
angst and simply do the right thing and just resign.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 15 February 2018 12:49:58 PM
Paul,

Why can't you stop lying? I never made a prediction that the arrest of the left whinge fascist was imminent as you well know.

As for the cost of the by elections, they pale in comparison to the costs by Syph hanson young of the born to spend Greens.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 15 February 2018 2:56:37 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Oh my goodness you must really be in a tizz with dear Malcolm. Not only has he sidelined Barnaby for caretaker PM while he is overseas but now is going to ban sexual relationships with staffers.

Why has he treated your mate so egregiously? 'Blameless Barnaby' should sue. Perhaps you could start a 'gofundme' page.

Lol.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 15 February 2018 5:36:12 PM
Steele, if this was not so serious it would be laughable. Bonking Barney is now on some sort of concocted leave, supposedly to get his head together. It is simply a piss-weak manoeuvre by Turnballs to sideline Barnyard from the acting PM position where he could be held up to ridicule from all quarters including his own.

Shadow, simply writing off millions of taxpayer dollars because you man Barnyard is a blithering idiot is no excuse. Try as you will, your attempts at deflection are like Barney, pathetic.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 15 February 2018 8:05:29 PM
I wonder if there will be Minister for Not Having It Off With The Staff to police Turnbull's addition to the Ministerial Conduct code. Our parliament is becoming a mixture of Monty Python, Benny Hill and 50 Shades of Gray.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 15 February 2018 8:50:51 PM
ttbn, one malcontent wants to add an amendment; Thou shalt not have it off with a staffer, (amendment) unless I can watch! Another one wants to know if that also includes the office copy machine.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 16 February 2018 3:19:30 AM
The Turnbull government is turning into a complete laughing stock! Now Joyce is referring to his leader as "inept", while Turnball's called Barnyards behaviour "a shocking error of judgement", with a call for Barnyard to consider his position.

Time for an election so the people can pass judgment on these clowns.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 16 February 2018 5:27:01 PM
What do we really know about this staffer with whom
Mr Joyce had his affair. I read somewhere that she
was engaged and due to marry while working for Mr Joyce.
When did her engagement break up? And has Mr Joyce had
a DNA test done to ensure that the baby is really his?

Just a thought.

Anyone know?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 16 February 2018 6:10:15 PM
Hi Foxy, anyone who would take a job in an office run by Barnyard, needs a psychiatric assessment to determine their state of mind. Anyone who would take a job in an office run by Barnyard, and then hop into bed with him, needs committing to a facility for the mentally deranged. I imagine he wears that stupid hat to bed as well.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 16 February 2018 7:03:36 PM
It's definitely the Liberals and their lackeys who are the masters of personal smear. I could list every ALP leader since Whitlam and the usually contrived personal attacks against them.
There were various rumours about Howard and his proclivities but the ALP chose not to follow that path - Abbott likewise has a few skeletons hidden away.

As for Turnbull, remember why they dumped him as leader the last time?

It wasn't just because of the UteGate and Godwin Grech bungle, where he refused to take advice from other Party members on how or whether to proceed, it was also because of the way the treated his National Party allies - with typical Turnbull disdain and contempt.

They said it threatened the future of Coalition so, after a few late-night Liberal Party meetings, Turnbull had to go.
His dead-cat bounce return hasn't paid off.

Now we're at a stand-off and soon Turnbull will be asked to go (again) - just as Murdoch and (the strangely quiet) Abbott have wanted for so long.

Tick tock tick tock Mal. Joyce wasn't the real target - it' you!
At least you'll have your Cayman Islands accounts to console you.
Posted by rache, Friday, 16 February 2018 7:57:47 PM
Dear Paul,

Not sure if this situation can be saved at present.
It appears that Barnaby is not going to give in
no matter what. I think the only thing that the
PM can do is call for an early election.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 17 February 2018 8:42:23 AM
We really need the swamp drained of all our politicians and a new lot found. The last 12 months or so have been truly embarrassing on a global scale for Australians who try to take a bit of pride in their country. But that's not going to happen while serving politicians are allowed to nominate, and vote for, people just like them to stand for election. Tony Abbott has tried twice, and failed, to take things out of the hands of power brokers and faction leaders in NSW. We have no power whatsoever over people who are supposed to be our servants. People who still think that Australia is a democracy are kidding themselves.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 17 February 2018 10:12:12 AM
I think that not enough tribute is paid to the
magnificent staff that politicians have - most of
them work hard, very hard and deserve much more thanks
then they are given. Also tributes need to be paid
to the wives and partners of politicians. They put up
with a lot. They raise their children single-handedly
while their partners are doing their work, the wives
are doing equally important work.

I love what CJ Dennis, the Australian poet wrote in a
series of poems entitled, "Songs of the Sentimental Bloke,"
the following lines:

"Yeh live, yeh love, yeh learn, an' when yeh come
To square the ledger in some thortful hour,
The everlastin' answer to the sum
Must allus be, "Where's sense in gettin' sour?"

Livin' an' lovin' - so life mooches on.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 17 February 2018 1:32:54 PM
Hi Foxy, I have said many times on the forum that I actually have great respect for politicians. Having met a few over the years, and seeing the effort and commitment most put in, I unlike some on here, do not take the cynical view that they are all low life's that ought to be run out of town. That goes for polys, of all persuasions.

Having said that, back to Bonking Barney.

The vultures are circling, politically Barney is a dead duck, the only one who doesn't realise it is Barney. Yesterday the heir apparent in the Nationals, Michael McCormack refused to support Barnyards leadership, until pushed to the limit, and then it was only half-hearted at best.

"The bosses of the National Party have held a phone hook-up to discuss Barnaby Joyce's future as the party's leader." What does that tell you?

Labor should deliver the 'coup de grâce' to poor old Barney when parliament resumes. If he had any thought for the Coalition he would have resigned last week, but being the selfish bloke he is, thinking only of himself he's trying to tough it out.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 3:40:24 AM
Dear Paul,

Barnaby should do the decent thing and simply resign.
He should have done that right at the beginning of
this farce. He did not do that when it came to the
question of his dual citizenship - and he certainly
is not about to do it now. He does not deserve to be in
any sort of leadership role. This is not a question of
his having had sex with a staffer. This is a question
of his breaking Ministerial standards - which he's clearly
done and needs to be held accountable. Others have resigned
for much less. He needs to be kicked out - and the Nationals
should simply do that. The guy's a grub!
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 9:10:24 AM
Anything that draws social attention ceases to be anything but public
Posted by Special Delivery, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 3:09:49 PM
I have definite concerns over publicising details of the others involved in this but in regard to Barnaby a couple of issues come to mind. One is his public stance on family values and opposition to same sex marriage km that basis. The hypocrisy deserves outing.

The other is as deputy PM he has placed himself in a compromised position which could have left him open to blackmail. I have no idea what personal choices he would have made if the suggestion had been put that if he did not want details in the public he might do some little thing. Might be hard to resist if that first thing is small enough then once on the hook it's all gets worse.

Perhaps he was ready for public disclosure at the slightest sniff of pressure. We may never know but it's not a good look to place himself in that position and shows very poor judgement for someone as close to power as he is.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 20 February 2018 4:47:41 PM
The useless lug has finally bowed to pressure from both within the National Party and from most of the community, and handed in the leadership of the Party, and the Deputy PM job.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/feb/23/in-this-mess-of-his-own-creation-barnaby-joyces-self-pity-was-repulsive
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 23 February 2018 5:26:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy