The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Any room For Reality?

Any room For Reality?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Each of us has views and ideas and we tend to value our own opinions more some times than the truth why?
I in my roll with the NSW RTA had to attend 100,s of traffic accidents and never once found a driver who said it was my fault I did it.
I did find on a hill one day a very slow truck that had been wrecked by a very fast one hitting it from behind.
The fast truck driver was very upset and stated if he the slow truck, was going faster it never would have happened!
I am sure I too sometimes refuse to except others views as much as my own, but maybe we all do.
And in some cases we are quite right to do so, after all no one is always right.
I am amused by the thought one poster see,s me a trade unionist as a bib and brace overall wearing thug marching of to work singing some song that has comrade in it .
Are our views often just not in touch with reality?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 11 July 2007 6:35:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
well written, belly, we are all here to astound others with our wisdom, or so we imagine.

the good news is, nothing we say here actually matters. that's the bad news, too.
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 11 July 2007 12:48:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DEMOS I understand what you are saying but is it always true?
We get it of our chest and at least I think I learn from others posts and thoughts.
An early school leaver I learn more by reading such, and as a leader in my role at work I can tell you swapping of views is of worth.
Both ways I learn and just maybe sometimes teach.
It however is worthwhile to observe some are quite wrong yet quite convinced they alone have the answers.
For example my whole view of my industry the trade union movement is that it should be a constantly changing constantly improving thing.
Using fresh ideas fresh ways to service its share holders union members.
My most resent disappointment was
Belly this is not the time for new ways?
Rest my case here we get true freedom to express our thoughts let me tell you you will never get that in any papers letters to the editors pages.
My post was not meant to highlight the view we are wasting our time others thoughts are well worth a read.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 11 July 2007 4:36:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly, I've searched and not found out who describes you in those colourfull terms. Was that from the recent thread or an older one?

On topic I think all of our understandings of reality are coloured by our world maps. Things that are vitally important to one person can be a non issue to another and that can have a massive impact on our shared perception of reality.

Sometimes it's not so much a denial of reality but different criteria used to evaluate it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 11 July 2007 9:43:49 PM
RObert you are of course right the idea can be expanded.
Take this mornings news storey. it seems in Basra A city in Iraq a brand new monster has been released by the British army.
No not really but the storey tell us much about false ideas and education both wrong and that education is often putting idiot ideas to some.
An existing Badger weighing about 30 kgs is said to be imported by the British army to eat and kill people!
One man tells of it eating his cow!
Also the storey touches on the idea those troops are storing eggs from a viper and planting a re flooded water way with snakes?
Now that is one form of miss education and information that is both dangerous and reminds us why we need honesty in education.
Some, far too many, of these people indeed can be read like a book, if the lips are moving they are lieing.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 12 July 2007 6:36:33 AM
In my memory Belly, I have agreed with you more often than not. I can't remember a time when I disagreed with you. I have learnt something from your posts.

With Basra, well I'm not sure if many of us know the truth at all. I doubt we will know for a long time.

It is far easier to follow folklore if this is what we want to believe, than to see reality if it is in any way uncomfortable.

The following famous quote from a film "A Few Good Men" is a chilling reflection of the way things are.

"You can't handle the Truth" Jack Nicholson: A Few Good Men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGvQtumNAY
Posted by saintfletcher, Friday, 13 July 2007 2:22:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy