The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should We Change The Date of Australia Day?

Should We Change The Date of Australia Day?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 33
  7. 34
  8. 35
  9. Page 36
  10. 37
  11. All
//We can all dress down naked & cover ourselves in White Acrylic Paint stripes & dance around a fire of gidgery coals all day. We could eat roast wallaby, whole, unskinned & ungutted (dressed,) cooked over open coals, Yumm! Maybe some Porcupine & Snake too. That 'id be nice, don't you think.//

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl76rTxIyzI

Stop!... it's racist.

Also, where the hell are you going get porcupines in Australia? Raiding zoos?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine

And what does Southeast Asian cuisine have to do with indigenous cultures?

You haven't really thought this racist caricature through properly, have you?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 27 January 2018 11:57:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having spent some time with tribal Australians in my youth, I can't wait till an Aboriginal Cook Book appears!!

All the ones that I've seen have a strong European overtone.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 27 January 2018 12:39:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Keeping Australia Day on its current date offends some Australians, because it can seem insensitive to celebrate the start of a series of events which included a large amount of violence and other human rights abuses.

Asking to move Australia Day also offends many Australians, because it veers close to asking a whole group to feel collective guilt, because of something that other members of that group did. I personally didn't steal any land. I don't expect other Aboriginal people to feel guilty because some other Aboriginal people are criminals. I don't expect modern day Japanese, German or Italian people to feel guilt because of World War 2.

Having two separate days is my preferred compromise. Wrapping NAIDOC week around the current date might also work.
Posted by benk, Saturday, 27 January 2018 12:55:06 PM
TL: We can all dress down naked & cover ourselves in White Acrylic Paint stripes & dance around a fire of gidgery coals all day.

Are you saying the Aboriginals who perform these rituals are Racist? Are you saying that if us whities join them in their ritual ceremonies we would be racist? I don't get it.

Porcupine, Ok Echidna. Same, same but different. Anyway the Zoo is the only place where City Academic Aboriginal whingers could get an animal to roast. It would have to have a name tag on it so they could identify what it was.

TL: And what does Southeast Asian cuisine have to do with indigenous cultures?

Ay?
Posted by Jayb, Saturday, 27 January 2018 2:57:10 PM
I'm sure the people protesting were happy to have a day off work. If they aren't happy with the day maybe they should tell their Employer that they will work and will have another day in lieu. This would should also apply for people that don't celebrate Christmas too.

The Protesters are happy enough protesting wearing clothes and holding banners made of materials from now. They would have slept nicely in their homes on Australia Day Eve. They wouldn't be able to bear it if they had to sleep out in the wilderness, still hunt for food, like in the 1700's! Put them back in the bush and see if they can last a week!

Howmany of the Protesters actually have full-time jobs?

If they are white, well then obviously somewhere along the line a mum or dad has been with a white man/lady! That's lucky for them!
Posted by myvoice, Saturday, 27 January 2018 4:41:25 PM
Changing the Date is not going to solve any of the Aboriginal activists claims. They want Treaty to give them rule over Australia as every Council recognises the land belongs to the Native tribe
1. We are on aboriginal lands so we must pay rent to the first Nations. In their view "Australia as developed" is an invasion, and must be burnt to the ground, because they committed genocide against our people.
2. The aboriginal nations were here first so they must be the administrators of the Land by tribal Land Councils.
2. Our Australian laws are not compatible with customary aboriginal law. It is very much akin to sharia, men are able to beat to submission and rape their wives. Girls at puberty are ready for marriage. Property belongs to whoever needs it in the tribe [white fella laws of stealing is not an offense]. That is why Australia imprisons our people against our cultural traditions. If we have need of a car and there is one not used we can take it
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 27 January 2018 7:24:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 33
  7. 34
  8. 35
  9. Page 36
  10. 37
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy