The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Guilty No Matter What

Guilty No Matter What

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I understand that the whole of the Rocky Horror show is perverted. The facts that people want to be entertained by such vomit is amazing. Maybe they should all be charged with indecency including the women.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 11 January 2018 12:32:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have totally lost any small trace of sympathy I may have had for these " harassed" women since Oprah made her impassioned speech at the recent media awards.
When one of the most influential women in American Media claims that women have been powerless and had no voice to condem these practises the whole movement lost any little credibility it may have had.
Anyone who believes Oprah knew nothing about apparent rampant sexual abuse within her industry is being disingenuous to say the least.
The fact that she chose to say nothing, despite the media power she wields, confirms my belief that the accusing women were happy to play along with the practise as long as it suited them.
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 11 January 2018 12:43:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Big Nana,

Perhaps justice was not an option in the era
in which Oprah, a black female, rose to fame.
She lived (as many white women have lived) too
many years in a culture broken by brutally
powerful men. However, it seems that now the time
is up and women are speaking out and beginning
to support each other. Take a look at the comments
thus far on this discussion. How many men are there
who even sympathise with the possibility of a
woman being sexually harrassed and assaulted?
Count the men. How many? Any?
Condemnation not explanation seems to be at play.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 11 January 2018 1:37:15 PM
Foxy, Oprah has been a power in media circles for decades now. She has had her own production company for years. She has spoken openly about her own experience with sexual abuse. I refuse to accept that she could say nothing, or offer support to women who had complaints.
I don't know about you, but if I had ever been sexually harassed at work and couldn't do anything about it, I would have changed jobs. If women were willing to put up with it in order to keep their jobs then they are complicit in the act. How are men supposed to know they are not wanted if women don't say anything?
Sounds harsh but there are actresses who have refused roles that were distasteful and their career don't seem to have suffered.
In any case, personally I would have scrubbed toilets rather than subject myself to something I found repulsive.
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 11 January 2018 2:06:53 PM
Where politics and Hollywood collide, truth is the first casualty. Selfish, complicated lives and the morals of alley cats,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4953450/Harvey-Weinstein-right-wing-conspiracy-sex-shame.html

Who is Oprah kissing?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2018/01/08/hollywood-left-all-atwitter-over-the-oprah/
Posted by leoj, Thursday, 11 January 2018 2:43:17 PM
Dear Big Nana,

You're right. Most of the women I know, myself
included, would just simply resign from the job.
I have learned from the experience of others
that you can never go against the establishment
or those in charge and win. Rarely happens. And its
your reputation that will get tarnished. Also, the stigma
associated with the entire business I'm sure
few women could bear.

I was brought up to not rock the boat so to speak in
any situation and just quietly walk away. I'm sure that
many feminists would look down on me for that.

As for judging Oprah? I don't know enough about the reasons
for why she didn't speak up earlier. Perhaps one day she'll
write a book and explain. I know I'd buy it - and read it.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 11 January 2018 2:59:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy