The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should Australia debate becoming a Republic in 2018?

Should Australia debate becoming a Republic in 2018?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
I forgot to add in my last post that I personally
like things as they are regarding Australia becoming
a Republic. I like the stability we currently have
and I would hate to see American style US Presidential
elections here. As Big Nana stated in an earlier post -
if we're going to replace what we have it has to be for
something better. And I agreed with her - that so far
I also have not seen any evidence of that. Hence the
importance of having this debate - giving people a
chance to argue their points of view.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 11 January 2018 10:41:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

It is fake news.

1st January 2018 and before the smoke from the fireworks has cleared, the serial nuisances are already *bleep*stirring.

It is typical of 'master blaster' Paul Keating to be giving his mouth a workout, among sundry others who have never worked for a living and have those pale white fingers and a clammy unconvincing handshake.

What hack journalists do to feed and fire up the commentariat, the frivolous Twitterati, is to try to whip up controversy by putting their target on the spot and by misquoting him as the source later. Does that sound familiar to you? Their tools are obvious.

It is also obvious that Shorten and others are desperately avoiding discussion of the 'Wicked Problems', such as the problems from decades of over-enthusiastic immigration and are casting about for a diversion now that they cannot bareback Gays over SSM. They certainly rode that nag into the ground, wouldn't you say?
Posted by leoj, Thursday, 11 January 2018 11:07:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405,

Paul wrote :" mhaze, correct, "
Well done Paul...first time I've ever seen you write an accurate sentence!

"Your defence of the Liberal Party founder is rather touching."
I wasn't defending Menzies. I was defending the truth...some of us think its rather important. You should try it one day.

After I've basically demolished the rubbish you wrote about the unions in WW2, you don't even bother to offer a half-hearted defence of your errors. Just move on to more regurgitation of myths.

We'll never know why Menzies didn't enlist in WW1. I've always had a suspicion it was because he opposed that war but, in his later political career, saying such would have been political death.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 11 January 2018 11:28:57 AM
What guarantee will there be that the current puppeteers behind the Constitutional Monarchy crews (variously painted in the Teams ALP/LNP/Greens colours) won't corrupt and manipulate under a 'republic' constitution?
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Thursday, 11 January 2018 11:29:52 AM
mhaze,

You might be interested in this article,

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/home-front-pressures-a-major-problem-for-those-who-did-not-serve-20141102-11fok7.html
Posted by leoj, Thursday, 11 January 2018 11:38:08 AM
Possibly Menzies didn't enlist because his elder brothers may have already decided to enlist and in keeping with the feeling that all sons should not go to war and thus imperil the continuation of the family.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 11 January 2018 11:45:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All