The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Road Safety.

Road Safety.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Much is being said about road safety following the tragic road toll over the recent holiday period.

One thing that isn't mentioned is the annoyance and consequent distraction caused to drivers by following vehicles having their headlights on during days of bright sunlight and clear visibility.
The headlights, often on high beam or with one lamp brighter than the other, shine in the rear vision mirrors and into the drivers' peripheral vision. Not good.

Another is the number of blind curves and crests which have a broken centre line going around or over them thus luring the unwary into possible head on collisions.

In some places there are sweeping curves that one can initially see around and the broken line seems appropriate, then the roadside scrub grows up or the local farmer plants a crop of corn but it seems that no one is responsible for correcting the resulting dangerous conditions.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 6 January 2018 11:13:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Audi LED lights would have to be among the most annoying, especially with the trick of turning the headlight off for the direction blinkers to operate.

Some drivers do not understand how distracting their blue and super white LED and HID lights can be, and dazzling from the front at odd angles. -Even from across opposite, separated, multiple carriageways.

Criticism is due too where aftermarket LED, HID and other higher rated bulb are retrofitted by owners.
Posted by leoj, Sunday, 7 January 2018 3:40:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Guys, I don't think we can just cherry pick on a topic such as this. All roads lead to, not Rome, but, people. People are the biggest problem by far.

If anyone has watched the video's of Russian drivers and subsequent accidents/incidents, you will not only come away shaking your head, but also with decision never to go to Russia.

The basis of road safety is 'people', that's it pure and simple. Not headlights and road markings and bushes. Because you have identified them they are no longer a problem.

Now if we turn our attention to what I like to call the 'maggots', these little maggot's have NO idea about driving. They believe when you move off from a standing start you must push the throttle 'through' the floor.

Same when it comes to stopping. Stand on the brakes with both feet when you are about two metres from the car in front, oh and when you're driving along make sure you are at least one metre from the car in front and move from side to side expecting the car in front to let you pass because he is doing the speed limit and your in a hurry to get to some moronic event.

Whenever I see a young guy driving he is in control of that car, clearly.

Whenever I see a maggot behind the wheel, the car is clearly in control. She is merely a passenger.
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 7 January 2018 4:16:32 PM
ALTRAV,

Road centre lines have legal standing, that's why you can be booked for crossing a double line, even inadvertently.

In some places it is perfectly safe to cross the double line but it is still a punishable offence to do so.

Locally there are crests that are absolutely blind but the centre line is broken thus inviting an accident.

How often do we see flowers and wreaths adorning a tree where someone has run off the road and been killed, yet the tree(s) is left to claim other victims.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 7 January 2018 7:53:43 PM
Actually Is Mise, I find exactly the opposite. We get continuing increases in nanny type road restrictions, making roads less safe with many frustrated drivers caused by this.

For 10 years I drove through Canungra to Nerang daily. This road runs through an army training area, with no side streets or property entrances, & quite a few straight stretches, making it one of the safest country roads around.

Over these years all 10 overtaking stretches had double lines replace the dotted lines. There has been no changes in the road or road side conditions to cause any of this, just a mind set in planners to restrict us to the lowest common demonolater of road users.

I recently came round a slow curve onto a straight stretch on another local road, where I have been overtaking our tree change very slow drivers for 25 years. I pulled out to pass a granny I'd been following for about 10 kilometres at 25 Km under the speed limit.

Yep you've guessed it, the straight stretch, although totally unchanged had suddenly sprouted double lines replacing the dotted centre line. That meant the particular road now has no legal overtaking places in 17 kilometres, down from about 9 places 20 years ago.

I am wondering just when they will reintroduce the requirement for the man with a red to walk in front of our cars.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 7 January 2018 8:49:03 PM
Road Safety relies on one main drawback, the driver.
We are asked to drive to conditions but how many do? Drivers are also asked to allow extra room for cyclists, are you?
I have seen perfectly good roadworks condemned because of the number of vehicle incidents on that area of road - it is not the road but the drivers of the cars on it. I would suggest a death count on that spot but that could also distract the driver from their primary task.
Road rules are there for all of us. I feel for the police officers who need to attend the relatives to inform them of their loss.
I find the recording of deaths gives a false impression. It is not just the personal loss, it can also mean a change of home if they are the sole bread winner etc. The injured don't even get a mention, why not? And so on.....
Posted by Sandic49, Monday, 8 January 2018 12:46:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy