The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Rats with wings

Rats with wings

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I have noticed that even through this cold winter that there are enormous amounts of Indian mynah birds around.
My understanding of these birds is that they proliferate by destroying native bird nesting sites, therefore depleting their generation and habitats.
What is the latest on ridding ourselves of this pest?
Applause goes to Bryce Courtenay for his treatment of this subject in Matthew Flinders Cat.
Posted by Goddess, Friday, 6 July 2007 3:00:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I’m a fan of mynahs. I think they are misunderstood.

Having observed them in Townsville and the Wet Tropics of north Queensland for 24 years, I have come to the conclusion that they are a pretty benign feral species.

They haven’t increased in density in Townsville. The urban areas remain full of a wide variety of native birds.

The growing numbers of the native rainbow lorikeets and ibises are probably a bigger concern, as well as other native species that weren’t in this area prior to settlement, such as galahs and little corellas.

Further south, other native species have become quite problematic, especially pied currawongs and noisy miners.

Mynahs are restricted to highly humanised landscapes. They love urban areas and sugarcane and other intensive agriculture. But they just don’t go bush and hardly even venture into cleared grazing country.

They exhibit the most endearing character of gathering in groups of four, presumably two couples and chatting away to each other with copious head-bobs and other gestures of ages. It brightens my day whenever I see this.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 7 July 2007 9:30:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, Ludwig, You are misinformed.
These birds were introduced, much as were cane toads, to control other introduced species. Something like the domino effect it all went wrong.
I would like to see initiatives to eliminate them, as in Melbourne, come into place soon.
As cute as they are they have no place here as they are ecological pirates.
Posted by Goddess, Saturday, 7 July 2007 10:31:51 PM
AS SLEEP DEPRIVED AS I MAY BE, I fail to see why we cannot observe local conservation, based on commonsense.
Bless all creatures great and small, but within limits, only where natutre has placed them.
Posted by Goddess, Sunday, 8 July 2007 1:58:04 AM
Goddess, in what way am I misinformed?

Yes they are feral. In fact they are commonly referred to as flying cane toads up here. But just because a species is feral doesn’t mean it is a necessarily a problem. There are many relatively benign feral plants and animals. There are far more of these than ones that we need to worry about.

Tim Lowe, author of ‘Feral Future’ and ‘The New Nature’ basically says that we simply have to accept the new ecological paradigm. That is; the one with many new species and the elimination of many original species. There is no way in the world that we can reverse things.

We might be able to address a very small number of feral species by way of stopping their spread, as with sparrows, starlings and perhaps cane toads into Western Australia, or by reducing the impact of some, for example; baiting foxes and cats in some areas, but most of them are beyond any meaningful control.

Long gone are the days of creatures great and small staying only where nature has placed them. So let’s worry about the really bad ones, and accept the not-so-bad ones as part of the huge ecological changes that we have wrought on this continent.

Afterall with reference to mynahs, vastly greater ecological damage has been done by humans in the habitats where they live than could ever be done by them. It seems pretty strange to me to eradicate mynahs for ecological reasons in areas that have been completely ecological altered and now only have a tiny fraction of the original number of native species left; a few birds and insects and practically no native plants.

If mynahs had the potential to spread into non-humanised landscapes, or to become a plague species to the great detriment of surviving natives in their highly altered habitat, then yes some action might be in order. But they aren’t. Every indication in north Queensland is that they are in balance with intensively humanised landscapes.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 8 July 2007 7:30:35 AM
Of course, the thing that we should all be doing is fighting to stop the continued spread of the biggest feral species of all – humans. Everyone who is concerned about ecological damage on this continent must surely be concerned at the highest level about our rapid human population growth and continuous rapid coastal development.

It just completely blows my mind that anyone can be concerned about weeds, feral animals or other ecological disturbance… and be silent on this issue. I don’t know if you are one of these Goddess, but unfortunately the vast majority of good caring environmentally-minded people are!
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 8 July 2007 7:26:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy