The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > International Mens Day 2017

International Mens Day 2017

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
"Objectives of International Men's Day include a focus on men's and boy's health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models. It is an occasion for men to celebrate their achievements and contributions, in particular their contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care while highlighting the discrimination against them.
The theme for 2017 is Celebrate Men and Boys."

http://www.internationalmensday.com/

This was Malcolm Turnbull, Bill Shorten, Chloe and ors at the Parliamentary Breakfast for International Women's Day,
http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/media/remarks-to-2016-international-womens-day-parliamentary-breakfast

Will there be a similar event for men and boys. Will be there any recognition at all?
Posted by leoj, Friday, 17 November 2017 10:49:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Do men really want 'recognition' and the bullshite some young women seem to crave? My generation has never had this man/woman problem that younger people seem to have. And, as Henry Kissinger is supposed to have said, "No-one will ever win the battle of the sexes because there is too much fraternisation". Of course, there is the problem of man-hating lesbians these days, but let them worry about their problems. I sure as bell don't.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 17 November 2017 10:15:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I sense that male/female comparisons are appropriate, not as part of some competition, nor to say that women are doing well, because in some important dimensions they may not be, but to spur us to consider what gives us angst and to start the thinking process about options for support and change.

As a product of a country upbringing that always focussed on independence and bearing the loads and pains of life and nature, I do stoicism very well indeed. And I am strongly analytical, focussed on the head to interpret the world and solve problems. I can and do 'tough it out' and 'suck it up' with the best and go beyond that. In all of my male roles, son, husband, father, friend to name some, I am dutiful to a fault, and that fault usually is lack of attention to self care. There are many men like that and many women too.

But I would have to say that reflecting on life, those claimed positive qualities, instilled in me along with the self-discipline to reinforce it in place, work well in some situations but are NOT always appropriate nor helpful to my wellness and quality of life, or to those I love.

I see the purpose of this international day as one where all men, but especially youth can take stock, look for role models and nudge themselves into some small steps that can improve their lives. We only get three score and ten and for many, life becomes intolerable well before that either through depression or lifestyle diseases that are preventable.

Just some quick thoughts to ponder. And yes, it is rather galling that the PM and other federal big pins have better things to do than to concern themselves with such trifles as the high incidence of male suicide in Australia.
Posted by leoj, Friday, 17 November 2017 10:54:01 PM
"Ten reasons we should be celebrating International Men's Day'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10-reasons-we-should-be-celebrating-international-mens-day/
Posted by leoj, Friday, 17 November 2017 11:06:37 PM
LJ

Let's begin with boy problems, which eventually extrapolate into men's problems.

As a yard-stick of comparison, consider boys with no problems. There are none of course, but all suffer from some degree of imbalance during childhood.

After reading Charlie Verons autobiography recently, I think his life reflects well, the need for balance in a boys life. Verons life reflected the typical unfocused male ego driver.
As luck would have it, Verons contribution to marine biology, was his boundless enthusiasm for discovery of nature, and cataloging GBR corals, which eventually expanded into research of global coral reef systems.

But Charlie was totally unfocused as a child, and outside the square. Over adventurous, and a bad academic achiever. He failed to matriculate, but was offered a scholarship to university, based on a different set of test criteria. That which tested for ability.

A nonconformist, but certainly not rebellious. Eventually a great achiever, but not always.

Life is a lottery as they say!
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 18 November 2017 8:29:41 AM
So will they make a law that women must celebrate international men.
Footie games have girl cheer leaders and a street march by boys with girls waving flags and throwing testosterone pills will sort out the men.
Posted by nicknamenick, Saturday, 18 November 2017 9:38:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy