The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tacky Turban Tactics?

Tacky Turban Tactics?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
MSM has reported today that the Victorian Civil Administration Tribunal has found against Melton Christian School in a case that began earlier in the year after a Sikh family attempted to enrol their son at the school. The school advised that the boy would not be allowed to wear his 'patka' (child's turban) while attending the school.

So anxious, apparently, was the Sikh family family to have their child educated in a Christian school that they made a discrimination complaint. Or, was there some other reason why a family insisting on the wearing of the head gear of their own religion demanding that their child be allowed to wear this religious symbol in another religion's domain? Was the whole thing a political act of aggression against the Christian school and Christianity itself? The boy could have been enrolled at a public school, were he could wear his turban and, even a nice little black dress if he wished! If you want to avoid discrimination, go public.

Given that Victoria is the locale, I tend to think the whole thing was an act of political bastardry, especially as the child has since been enrolled in a public school.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 19 September 2017 2:23:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sadly , we may now see Catholic kids being taken to Islamic schools wearing big shiny crucifix and making sign of the cross when hearing the head teacher reply.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 19 September 2017 3:24:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear ttbn,

When I was growing up I was taught to not rock
the boat under any circumstances. I had to simply
fit in. My parents would not have dreamt in
questioning the dictates of my school. But that
was then, this is now, and certainly times have
changed. I was going to agree with your opening
post until I read the following link and it's
made me look at things from a different perspective.
The link helped me, perhaps it may help others
as well:

http://theconversation.com/school-uniform-policies-need-to-accommodate-students-cultural-practices-81548
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 19 September 2017 4:51:05 PM
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/IntJlLawEdu/2010/9.pdf
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 20 September 2017 9:54:49 AM
I'm not so sure about all this? When I was in Malaya with the military before Vietnam progressively got bigger we were operating on the Malay/Thai border trying to irradicate and ambush the Communists terrorists who had been ensconced there since the second World War.

We served with the 2nd Greenjacket Bn. (British) and I made a good friend of this Sikh bloke. He explained to me many of their rites, there cultural and religious belief's, including the wearin of the turban and the carriage of their 'Kirpan' a small curved dagger. They hold great stock in caryring this knife, and it's essential part to their religious beliefs.

I would (personally) doubt this family had any political or ethnic motivation, or were there, simply to cause any trouble. The Sikh culture is on one hand, very peaceful. And on the other, they're consummate warriors when called upon to do his duty! For this reason it would surprise me if they had any ulterior motive or covert intent to stage-manage some sort of ethnic agitation to suit his own needs. Of course I could well be wrong as well, just ask my wife!
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 20 September 2017 12:21:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sikhs combine Islam with Hindu Dharma and a bit of Church , Judaism and Surfing will complete the menu.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 20 September 2017 12:55:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy