The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The right to celebrate Guy fawkes

The right to celebrate Guy fawkes

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I find it rather irritating that country's other than Britain, celebrate Guy Fawkes, meanwhile, most of them haven't the foggiest idea as to why the Brits celebrate this occasion. Let me get your views on this topic, as I am frequently asked what the celebration is about on the 05 Nov.
Posted by SPANKY, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 10:17:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i don't remember why gf done it, but figure blowing up parliament is always worthwhile.
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 8:26:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As an ex patriot Brit myself, I'd have to say that although I know about the event to which Guy Fawkes night relates, I couldn't say whether the fireworks are a celebration of the attempt to destroy parliament, or of its failure.

Sylvia.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 9:41:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sylvia, not 100% sure myself, but I would suggest its the failure, given that the traditional celebrations involved burning an effigy of guy fawkes.

Spanky, its good fun. Dont matter whether we understand the reason for the celebration or not. Any cracker night is a good night!!
Posted by Country Gal, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 1:32:40 PM
Yep, the silly so and so was caught in the act, about to torch a pile of gun powder kegs beneath the houses of parliment, although I do not think it was the government he was targetting, he was after someone more prominent in those days, like royalty but I think he fluffed it somehow.
Its was great to celebrate GF, waiting for the big bonfires to be lit up and the youngsters arriving with their boxes of fireworks, waiting to be the last one to let yours off, so everyone will watch your fireworks. Making Guy fawkes was also fun, although there was a hint of satanism involved, burning at the stake, laughing and cojoling while the poor bugga burned. The only down side I have with GF, is the fact of so many pets go missing due to the letting off of crackers, see the reports from the SPCA on how many dogs go missing on this night of celebration, it's quite astounding! Its not such a big event like it used to be, it's died down somewhat over the years but it was fun.
Posted by SPANKY, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 3:53:06 PM
Do we celebrate Guy Fawkes? It is pretty much a non-event isn't it?
If we want to get concerned about that sort of thing then why do we celebrate (a) religious holidays that are not of our faith or beliefs and (b) the cultural heritage of other countries such as St Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving, Ramadan, Divali etc etc.
And should we as Australians cling to such national 'heroes' as Ned Kelly and events like the Eureka Stockade?
Posted by Communicat, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 3:57:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy