The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The ABC has switched off Radio Australia Short Wave - Comment?

The ABC has switched off Radio Australia Short Wave - Comment?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
At noon on 31 January 2017 the ABC switched off short wave radio transmission of Radio Australia, reportedly because the technology is out of date.

http://nick.nxtmps.org.au/media/releases/axing-abc-shortwave-radio-will-hit-thousands/

The switch off occurred suddenly without debate.
Surely that switch off is in breach of ABC Charter.

Replacement of short wave with ABC claimed 'modern' FM and AM broadcasting is absurd because those signals will not reach remote regions.

News of movement of likely desperate and dangerous criminals and illegal 'immigrants' and also news of spread of human and animal disease is now limited.

Loss of news about Tsunami and cyclones may now not be heard and resulting loss of life and property seems inevitable.

Radio New Zealand and China Radio International short wave can still be heard sometimes but Radio Australia short wave was the strongest and most reliable source of Australian news and weather throughout the Asia Pacific region.

Every ocean voyager has at some time gained information via ABC short wave.

I feel that loss of Radio Australia short wave involves loss of influence and respect for Australia. I have just returned from the Pacific Islands. Australia has virtually vacated remote regions.

Senator Nick Xenophon is this week is in need of bi partisan support in the Senate to have that short wave turned back on.

Can anyone here on OLO urgently phone or write their local MP to help Sen Xenophon get that bi partisan support?
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 7 February 2017 9:48:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes. I can't understand the 'it's old technology' excuse. It is old technology, but were is the new technology to replace it? As far as I am aware, there are places that only short wave can reach. Is there something we don't know about yet?
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 7 February 2017 3:52:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sounds like an important service has been discontinued.

I saw another disgrace today which made me sick.
Australia Post; I honestly think it's time to boycott them.

http://abc.net.au/news/2017-02-07/australia-post-senior-executive-salaries-revealed/8249728

I consider it contempt towards Aussie taxpayers when a public servant claims the public do not have a right to know how much taxpayer dollars they've decided to pay themselves (when many are being paid more than our Prime Minister).
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 8 February 2017 4:24:28 AM
AC
You sound like George Soros the world destroyer . But Auspost is profit driven and neither you or George have a leg to stand on.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 8 February 2017 9:10:53 AM
Nick,

The whole of Australia is profit driven and it has to have leadership.

Besides the post office was developed by taxpayers.
Posted by JF Aus, Wednesday, 8 February 2017 9:28:16 AM
Hey nicknamenick,
Boycotting Australia Post; yes it does feel like I'm now willing to go to war on myself a little.
I didn't feel good writing it but what else can I do?
I certainly cannot support what they're doing so my only option is to oppose it.

The letter business isn't profitable, and I see it as an unnecessary government expense all the paper and mail when we now have email.
Dear government 'Don't you dare talk to me about the climate change or recycling or any of that environmentalist feel-good crap'.

Understand this point Nick, public servants work for us, we don't work for them, and that is why the person representing Aussie Post who said Aussies don't have a right to know how much they pay themselves should be publicly bitch-slapped and then fired immediately.
(preferably from a cannon)

I imagine we could give full time jobs to at least 200 people for the same money we spend on just the 4 or 5 people mentioned in that article.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 8 February 2017 10:00:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy