The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bernadi Does It

Bernadi Does It

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All
If the "Honorable" Senator really believed
that the Liberal Party is failing the people
of Australia why did he remain in the Senate
after he was elected as a Liberal six months
ago. Why did he not resign from the party but
chose to get elected as a Liberal Senator.
A bit under-handed on his part. Can such a
man be trusted. I doubt it!
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 7 February 2017 3:16:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Might I suggest that perhaps he has been trying to get change for
some time but after what he saw in the US relised it just was not
happening fast enough.
So he pulled the plug.
I read an article by Richard Heinberg today that would justify Bernardi's
departure if he had read it.

http://tinyurl.com/j6clfug

Basically he says that Trump is a feature of the winding down of our
civilisation in that it generates people who want to keep everything
going as before eg; "Make America Great Again".

Let me know what you think of it.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 7 February 2017 3:41:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An issue I have here is that other members of Parliament have also done things like this. I live in the Mayo electorate, and former Foreign Affairs Minister, Alexander Downer, not long after getting elected (for personal reasons, that being he was in opposition at the time with John Howard losing Government) and was bored, quit as a politician. The bi-election cost a fortune and people (in Mayo) were forced to go back to the polling booths.

Jamie Briggs, was later elected, but with the popularity of the Nick Xenophon Team (NXT) and Jamie Briggs not having a high enough or qualified profile, Rebekha Sharkie was elected as our local MP.

Personally, I will never forgive or forget what Alexander Downer did, as I saw it as selfish and due to the cost to taxpayers, where as before, I had a good level of respect for Mr Downer as a member of parliament.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 7 February 2017 3:42:42 PM
I am sure Cory's family will be looking forward to spending more time with him soon.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 7 February 2017 3:49:52 PM
Turnbull is getting desperate, if he has to do this.

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/malcolm-turnbull-axes-life-gold-pass-angering-mps/news-story/95e6acf2a36cadb1e14010d9eb1a754b

PRIME Minister Malcolm Turnbull has apparently “dropped a surprise bombshell” on MPs after announcing he will cut a generous retirement entitlement scheme towards federal MPs.

The Life Gold Travel Pass, as it is known, will be axed immediately, according to The Australian, which has left those close to retirement furious after expecting to enjoy the perks, which include free business class travel.

Approximately 200 former MPs are said to be affected by the changes, saving Australian taxpayers $1.5 million per year.

Mr Turnbull told MPs their priorities were “out of touch” during a party room meeting, according to the Fairfax Media.

Despite the perk still being available to former prime ministers, Mr Turnbull has announced he would not use it.

The move comes after the latest scandal involving former minister Sussan Ley, who was forced to resign after claiming taxpayer funded travel for personal business.

Mr Turnbull announced he would introduce an independent agency to investigate and report of MPs monthly spending.

According to The Australian, the Gold Pass has cost taxpayers $17.2 million since 2001.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 7 February 2017 5:51:12 PM
How tiresome is becoming the meme that the "political class" have "lost touch" so we need a hive of Hansonite nutters and people without integrity like Bernardi to "drain the swamp" and bring back god-fearing and populist, simplistic policies.

Bad eggs like Susan ley et al are rooted out by the media and the public. We don't need a rabble of Rod Culletons to right matters, as if bad-eggs will be a thing of the past after "the people's" representatives chop up party politics.

Trump latched on to protectionism and God (all of a sudden), which got him over the line nicely. I only hope Australians have more sense than to be taken for a ride by similar snake-oil.

Some posters here believe anyone who doesn't share their right-of- Liberal ideology must be "out of touch" when it is they who suffer the Bernardi's egotistic delusions.
Posted by Luciferase, Tuesday, 7 February 2017 7:45:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All