The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Ideology making South Australia a failed state?

Is Ideology making South Australia a failed state?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Hasbeen,

The pylons aren't falling over because of melting; wind damage is the problem, and climate change results in bigger storms.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Shadow,

There were valid concerns about ChAFTA. The government did a deal with Labor to address those concerns before the ChAFTA legislation got through the Senate. See http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/chafta-labor-strikes-deal-with-government/news-story/7a854be0f6769c5b5613039509181eaa

Please also note that the absence of a worst case scenario within the first two years doesn't say much about the validity of any concerns.

Overly focussing on foreign investment rather than domestic investment is another thing that drives our dollar too high, though not as badly as our higher interest rates.

What is the source of your claim that government subsidies to the car industry exceeded the wages the car manufacturers paid?

Most of what you think are the costs of renewables are illusory. There haven't yet been any new networks to serve the renewables, and most wind farms are near existing transmission lines. When we get electricity from Victoria, it's because electricity's cheaper there. Both the buyer and seller benefit from trade.

The coal fired power stations at Port Augusta were highly polluting, adversely affecting the health of Port Augusta residents. I certainly wasn't sorry to see them go. And the CCGT power station at Pelican Point wasn't struggling to run; it was struggling to make a profit, partly because the company that owned it wasn't a major electricity retailer in SA. Now that there's less electricity coming from coal, I very much doubt they'll have that problem any more.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 23 January 2017 5:18:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR

Still lying I see.

Ducking and diving to avoid the fact that Labor shredded the car industry between 2007 and 2013. That 2 of the 4 car manufacturers pulled the pin under labor and 75% of workers were retrenched under labor makes the lie more disgusting. That the coalition was reluctant to increase the taxpayer funded bailout for much fewer workers and cars produced to the point of $2000 per car is understandable.

Roughly calculated, the bailout would have equalled an average of $65 000 per person p.a. or more employed at Holden. You can do the maths.

As for me called Doog a xenophobe, at the time you made the claim, I hadn't so you lied there too. I responded without checking whether you lied.

That I can't stand the blatant and uncontrolled corruption of the unions that represent less than 1/6th of workers, that routinely break the law beat up opposition and threaten workers and management is exactly why I dare to challenge the hypocrites on this forum.

Aidan,

The concessions to labor were minor and a figleaf to help them cover up their anti economic protectionist stance. The two years certainly make your fears of the yellow peril look misguided.

The costs of renewables are certain not illusory especially to businesses. And the import of power from Victoria is because SA cannot supply itself, and has been as high as $1000 /MWhr compared to the mean cost of existing coal generation of less than $50/MWhr.

Anyone considering starting a new manufacturing business in SA would be faced with huge and unreliable power costs.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 23 January 2017 6:53:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan,

Are you able to give an instance of, or a reference to, ill health caused by coal power production at Port Augusta.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 23 January 2017 7:02:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/port-augusta-is-sas-cancer-hotspot/news-story/d2ed7532527bf669df9666b933dc7cd9

__________________________________________________________________________________

Shadow,

I'm not the one with "fears of the yellow peril" and I'm pro free trade. But many people did have genuine concerns about ChAFTA. And after negotiation, those concerns were addressed to the satisfaction of Labor, though not to the satisfaction of the Greens or the Xmen.

"The costs of renewables are certain not illusory especially to businesses"
Then where exactly are these "new networks" that were required to serve renewables?

Some of the costs of renewables have hit businesses harder than households, but the fact remains that your original claim that "the price of electricity has nearly doubled due to the vast subsidies for the renewable power" is a lie: most of the cost increase has nothing to do with renewable power. And your prediction that "solar thermal will double it again" shows that you use prejudice against renewables as a substitute for reason.

SA can supply itself, as it always did before it was linked to Victoria in the early '90s. But since privatisation, electricity companies set their output according to what's most lucrative, not what's most needed.

And all mainland states (even Victoria) have wholesale spikes well above the generation cost, and have done since before any wind turbines were on the grid.

"Anyone considering starting a new manufacturing business in SA would be faced with huge and unreliable power costs"
More likely huge OR unreliable power costs, depending whether they bought their electricity at retail or wholesale prices. The same is true in our other states.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 24 January 2017 1:32:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan,

This is 'proof' of your claim? The oh-so-reliable media, and a diagnosis by the "locals". Health Minister Hill begged to differ, and clearly there was no further action or discussion on the matter after 2010. If there was anything to the wild claim, the whole thing would still be in the courts, and the state would be awash with rich lawyers.

You are too easily lead, Aidan. Baaa, baaa!
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 24 January 2017 9:30:58 AM
Dear Mr. SM,

I have been in SA for many many years and the answer to SA becomming a failed state is that SA IS a failed state . The only reason that it continues is that being part of a federation of states is that the rest of Australia supports SA. The reason that it could exist on its renewable energy is that it does not have major industriess worth talking about - miining being the main industry. The defence industry exists only because of government contracts. There is no major defence exports. The steel industry only exists because of government handouts. With some of the highest unemployment in the country, no employment for the young, no "real" industries in the forseeable future what else could SA be but a failed state. If SA was a country in its own right it would be an impovrished third world country.

Yours Sincerely,

Jerry.
Posted by simplesimon, Tuesday, 24 January 2017 11:13:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All