The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Some (Jewish) People are Strange

Some (Jewish) People are Strange

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Armchair Critic: "You seem to support dual-citizenship leaders." You can't conclude that from my post. I tend to respond to posts that seem to be contradictory or inaccurate, regardless of what I think. In fact I am always amused when people here make incorrect assumptions even when I state my views quite explicitly (eg. I am not against guns, but I've been accused more than once of being a leftie/greenie gun-hater)

Some info re dual citizenship leaders. Australia has had seven prime ministers who were born elsewhere: Chris Watson (Chile), George Reid (Scotland), Andrew Fisher (Scotland), Joseph Cook (England), Billie Hughes (Wales, but born London), Julia Gillard (Wales) and Tony Abbott (England, but mother Australian). Only Gillard and Abbott were naturalised as Australians. Watson kept quite about his origins, he was actually born Johann Christian Tanck, to an Irish mother and German–Chilean father.
Posted by Cossomby, Monday, 16 January 2017 1:46:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AC,

I am not sure that there is much "national loyalty" these days. Nor am I sure that most people know right from wrong any more. I have no tolerance for dual citizenship under any circumstances, and I cannot help being suspicious of people who want to hold dual citizenship. I am not concerned so much about foreign-born people standing for election as I am by the totally inapproriate method of selecting candidates. Simply putting up some unknown favoured by lobby groups and people with special interests other than those of an entire electorate has knobs on it.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 16 January 2017 3:38:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear old Bob Menzies , British to his bootstraps said Poms were at war and therefore .....
It seems several Aust-born MPs are serving their egos and expense entitlements first then the country. Governor Macquarie was a Scot and did better than many local reps.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 16 January 2017 3:55:20 PM
Cossomby,

I am not surprised by forgiveness; forgiveness is a wonderful thing. It does not, however, generally include applying for citizenship of the country where your grandparents were murdered just for being Jewish and your mother driven out. Besides what is the point in 'forgiving' modern Germans who are guilty of nothing?

I would say that, yes, she could be being pragmatic. However if she is looking for "advantages" not available in her country of birth, then she should relinquish the huge advantages, including her seat in the House of Lords, on gaining German citizenship. There is too much casual picking and choosing these days to make anyone believe that the pickers and choosers are sincere.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 16 January 2017 4:03:38 PM
Foxy,

Everbody has a reason or excuse for what they do; some of them are convincing others are not. I am not judging this lady;I am, frankly, confused by some people these days.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 16 January 2017 4:07:48 PM
Probably Brexit brings out the nashos in UK ( as Trump is doing).So maybe it's affecting this British woman : " Her father was born in the UK to German Jewish immigrants who arrived before the First World War. Her mother was a refugee from Nazi Germany, arriving at age 22 in 1937 " and she was born 1950 in UK .

Q. guess where the father of Federation was born ?
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 16 January 2017 4:16:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy