The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Exploitation of Child Workers.

Exploitation of Child Workers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Don't try to beat beat the chains on price, go after them om convenience and good service which requires good management and a committed lawfully remunerated team. Up to it?
Posted by EmperorJulian, Friday, 6 January 2017 5:15:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
EJ we have gone from $300K turnover to just over 1 mill in less than two years, so we are doing just that, however, wages can only be a percentage of sales and when sales dip, wages should be cut and will if sales dont increase. I dropped $30K in six weeks leading up to Christmas and didnt sack anyone so as i said, i gave them the ultimate gift. Cant last forever though however the removal of rediculous weekend rates would save jobs because the simple math says a 50% increase is equivient to half of one job. But what would i know, ive only been in retail for 40 years.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 7 January 2017 6:26:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So a businessman wants the law changed to reduce take-home remuneration for employees. Why should one not be surprised?
Posted by EmperorJulian, Saturday, 7 January 2017 11:00:15 AM
Paul,

I have to eat crow, children below 14 3/4yrs can work, but it is still unclear as to whether they fall under the EBA. When my daughter was 14 she wanted part time work, but no one was prepared to accept her at her age. I do notice that the conditions and insurance are onerous.

As for the corrupt CFMEU, they would only take these guys on if they could line their pockets. If the CFMEU is the answer, you are asking the wrong question.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 7 January 2017 12:17:13 PM
We could get rid of the ridiculous concept of the weekend and allow all businesses to operate seven days a week and stagger days off.
People would still be allowed leisure time but the big sporting interests would howl.
Up in India, in the big cities different suburbs have different closing days spread over the week so that there is always a full range of shops open.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 8 January 2017 8:51:56 AM
Is Mise, good to see you mention INDIA when discussing working condition for Australians. INDIA is indeed a shine example of how workers should be treated. Butch will back you all the way on that, particularly the "official" minimum pay rate of $1.47 hour, but like Australia the cash in hand rate is lower, more like 50 cents/hour.

There are more criminals in small business than there are drug dealers (many of them are also small businessmen) in the rest of society. The ATO reported for 2015/16 that 5573 people dobbed in their employer for illegal cash in hand payments. Another 2813 complained about inadequate or no super being paid, 961 reported "payment summary issues", 736 complained that their employer failed to remit PAYGW, and 671 complained about the "status of worker" (whether they are legally an employee or independent contractor). The tip of the iceberg! If we persuaded all the small business criminals we would not have enough jails to house them all!

I am sure they don't have the same problem in INDIA! or in Bangladesh for that matter, or in Afghanistan,or in Dirtpoorville! and lots of other places you blokes would see as ideal paradises for workers!
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 8 January 2017 9:12:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy