The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Who else would like the government to come clean on this, or at least dispell it as a myth.

Who else would like the government to come clean on this, or at least dispell it as a myth.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hey Rache,
I love it when someone challenges me when I know I'm right...
(I remember calculating it when I read the article)

Well it turns out I was wrong, but not about the $75,000 per person cost but about the number of refugees - it wasn't 50,000 it was 12,000.
Here's the article.

$900 Million divided by 12,000 - you do the maths.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-15/government-to-spend-900-million-dollars-resettling-refugees/7030866
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 26 August 2016 4:22:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
you must be joking Aden, the guy is and was a complete dud.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 26 August 2016 4:32:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mikk - Your figures are wrong, you are not taking into account what the various charities give them the cost of which comes from the taxpayer as well as the high cost of the administration of the charities, that also includes the churches.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 26 August 2016 4:50:34 PM
Its truly amazing that one person can cause so much damage to an economy (K Rudd removing border controls) then carry on as if he has done nothing wrong. Whats even more unbelievable is that some still admire his failures.

In all seriousness, I don't think we will ever recover from where we are, unless of cause we make some serious changes to our tax system, and wean the freeloaders off the public tit, and I'm not just referring to refugees or illegals.

As for Rudd avoiding a recession, the fact is he was in a position to do so because of what he inherited. Although I'm still not convinced it was the right move in the end.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 26 August 2016 8:05:02 PM
To me everything Rudd did was to further himself after he left politics, giving away millions of dollars as bribes to get the UN security council seat, even letting in the so called refugees all so he could try to get the top job with the UN.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 26 August 2016 11:30:03 PM
rehctub, can you try writing comments based on what's actually happened instead of on what you read in the Murdoch press?

Rudd did not remove border controls. Though the immigration detention system changed, the border controls themselves were the same under Rudd as under Howard.

Australia owns the Reserve Bank, so can ALWAYS borrow money regardless of whether we've previously been running surpluses or deficits. Although I guess you could say that's a position Rudd inherited, as that's something that only became possible after Keating floated the dollar – Australia borrowed in foreign currency before that, so had limited credit.

Of course avoiding a recession was the right move – it lost us nothing but kept Australians in work, and kept our economy productive.
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 27 August 2016 1:42:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy