The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Work For The Dole

Work For The Dole

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I agree. The people I am "working" with are a good bunch that are actively looking for jobs; like me they are in their 50's and no one seems to want to hire 50 somethings. We had one character last week though that kept on complaining about the cold and how much it makes him shake and he couldn't possibly stay here any longer... Yep, he was strung out on droogs and they had to let him go.
We are all wasting our time here. No one has the time now to search for jobs. My new business is starting slower because of this. I also didn't want a bank overdraft this time to float the business. Seems like I may have to though.
Posted by Jonthebass, Tuesday, 7 June 2016 2:53:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have done two WFD projects over the years.
The first was repairing a long neglected historic gun emplacement for the local museum. It was trashed again within six months.

The second was for a Headspace centre turning an old garage into a gym. Was so badly organised we spent 90% of the time sitting around waiting for materials. The supervisor used to mark us on his roll at morning tea then say we could go if we wanted.

The last place I worked was a "social enterprise" that had quite a few WFD participants over the years. I was on 2 days a week part time and they were on 2 days a week WFD. I got $18 an hour. They got an extra $20 a fortnight. We were expected to do exactly the same work.

WFD as it stands is just pointless make work schemes and punishment for being poor.
Straight from the "make them suffer and they will go away" playbook they have used on refugees for years now.

Check
http://unemployedworkersunion.com/
They can help
Posted by mikk, Tuesday, 7 June 2016 4:11:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My grandfather had to work for the dole, during the depression.
Posted by Wolly B, Wednesday, 8 June 2016 9:41:34 AM
Yutsie: Disgusting indeed, but then many of us have jobs that aren't doing any good for anyone.

If you are unhappy with your job you should be looking for one that'll make you happy. Then again, some people will never be happy, it's their nature to be that way, always looking at the dark side.

Yutsie: The dole should be unconditional, except for the obvious condition that the recipient truly has no other income.

I think you meant "conditional."

Mikk: WFD as it stands is just pointless make work schemes and punishment for being poor.

There is the problem. The attitude of "punishment for being poor." It is not! It's doing, at least, something for the money you receive. Singapore has the answer. Everybody does something & it doesn't matter if you are an out of work Professor, Politician or labour. You must do something even wipe the seats & benches down every morning around town.

Most of the Roads in Australia were built with WFD after WW2. Three days for Married men & four days a week for single men. They lived in Camps away from home. They also built a lot of beautiful stone bridges in high mountainous areas. A beautiful example is the one over Crystal Creek near Townsville. I believe there are lots of examples in Tasmania.
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 8 June 2016 11:54:20 AM
Here is the answer, except our gutless PC politicians do not have the guts to do it.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/670000/Unemployed-Russians-face-parasite-tax-economy-nosedives

Putin launches PARASITE TAX for healthy who won't work.
RUSSIA is set to launch a 'parasite tax' which will fine healthy unemployed people who refuse to work.

Fit, working-age Russians who turn down jobs will face a charge of almost £200 - in sharp contrast to the state handouts jobless Britons can expect.

The levy has already been rolled out in neighbouring Belarus, where out-of-work adults are slapped with a fee until they agree to take jobs being offered to them.

Kremlin officials say they now intend to emulate the controversial scheme, which contrasts sharply with Britain's welfare state.

Moscow's deputy labour minister Andrei Pudov said the bold move by Belarus was a "significant step" towards addressing the economic crisis in Russia.

He told a conference on Thursday: "Our colleagues from Belarus could share their experience, they got serious innovations taking place in their country after they introduced the so-called tax on people of working age who do not take part in any work and do not make any insurance payments.

"This was a significant step. We are only discussing it now and they have already made the decision."

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 8 June 2016 4:10:56 PM
Work for the dole should be compulsory, but it should be actual WORK. If that means swinging a pick, repairing South Australia's roads (they surely must be the most neglected in the country) so be it. People lacking the strength for manual work can stand about with stop signs; they can deliver meals on wheels, they can work in public gardens, they can work at whatever needs to be done because the government has wasted money on on their unnecessary rubbish projects. No able-bodied person in Australia should be paid for doing NOTHING, whether they be school-leavers waiting/looking for a first job, or non-English speaking government imports under our shonky 'refugee' programme. Any idle, non-citizen should be booted back to where they came from. The dole is a safety net, not intended for a voluntary life of leisure.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 8 June 2016 5:00:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy