The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Di Natale and slave wages

Di Natale and slave wages

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Hi Mikk,

I wouldn't be so hard on him: remember also that, effectively, that au pair isn't just getting the use of the equivalent of more than two grand a week but, if she paid tax, her annual income would be around $ 140,000-150,000.

So Senator di Natale is actually saving her paying close to fifty grand a year in tax. But does anybody realise his generosity ? No. How's that for modesty, honesty and integrity ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 25 May 2016 11:02:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What the AU pair gets in hand is not known as wages it is known as pocket money. The going rate is recommended to be $150. This arrangement is in most countries around the world, with differing recommended pocket money.

Stringent rules apply to sponsor an au pair. They have to have a private room, Internet access. Sponsors are members of the scheme and sizable security deposits are made to the scheme.

They can also have more than one person to care for or cook for in different locations.

If you wanted an au pair to help out around the place you would also require substantial finances to qualify as a sponsor.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 26 May 2016 9:29:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth,
What about Fringe Benefits Tax?

I had a position as property manager and that included non cash benefits such as a vehicle, fuel, house and so on. The employer is responsible for FBT.

I am not up to date now about FBT, but someone like Butch is likely to be. He is likely to pay FBT on the meat his employees take home from his shop.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 26 May 2016 9:53:51 AM

$150 for 40hrs is not the going rate, what I have seen is closer to $250 for 30hrs a week plus accommodation, meals, internet and TV, and access to transportation.

Clearly Dinner Tally is happy to screw his employees and complain about others that are paying much more. What a hypocrite.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 26 May 2016 10:43:08 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

If this was not an election year - would these "attacks"
even be taking place?

Most people are sick and tired of the way politics has
been functioning of late. Instead of coming up with
policies and solutions the method seems to be -
attack and try to destroy your opponent. Does that make
anybody a better person? I'm getting a different
message from the people I speak to.

How many politicians are really innocent of not taking
advantage of opportunities presented in their positions
of power. Take all the past scandals of travel allowance
abuses by members of all parties in high positions where
they charged their fellow pollies to stay at houses that
they owned in Canberra. What about helicopter rides to
fund raisers. What about attendance at private weddings,
and other functions, overseas holiday trips, and so it
goes.

Given the opportunities there will always be somebody who
will abuse the opportunity no matter what the political
persuasion.

There does not appear to be anything wrong with what Mr
Di Natale was doing. He provided housing, food, access to
transport, spending money, in an agreed arrangement with
the individuals for their 25 hours a week of work.
Based on moneytary value it is estimated to be $450-$550
dollar value for 25 hours of work which amounts to roughly
$16 to $20 dollars an hour. That's more than some people
get working in hospitality and retail.

It seems that being an election year - some cheer-leaders
of parties will attack anybody on the opposing side to score
brownie points. But people are seeing through these attempts
and are no longer listening.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 26 May 2016 11:09:17 AM
Hi SM,

Paul is half-right that in countries like Saudi Arabia, servants, au pairs and the like might get a room, a whole room to themselves, as well as internet access - but be paid less than $ 150 a week.

Di Natale is clearly generous in paying that much and, by extension, this shows how generous, kind, well-meaning - as well as supremely well-educated and with the interests of a better world at heart - the Greens are, over the capitalist-lickspittles of the other major parties.

How am I doing, Paul ?
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 26 May 2016 12:15:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy