The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Will you use less water at home?

Will you use less water at home?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
March 22nd is World Water Day. You may think such a day, has a broad perspective, but for some reason, this year the U.N has decided the day is simply about "better water, better jobs".

http://www.unwater.org/worldwaterday

We can have more efficient use of water I agree, but with overpopulation worldwide, this issue is difficult to address.

Dams and weirs, diverting water for use in farms, industry and day-to-day urban living, with irrigation systems introduced on the River Murray has affected flows and quality of water. Salinity is now a problem, with salt interception schemes introduced, costing around $25 million dollars each.

The U.N focus on people and jobs on this matter, with no environmental focus - I give them 0/10. After all water doesn't come from nowhere.

Also will you use less water at home?
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 17 March 2016 11:04:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan when Charles Sturt and Hamilton Hume discovered the darling river, just a little before irrigation started, it was too salty to drink, & too salty to be good for their livestock.

If greenies did not always have to twist facts, & lie to try to make their story more juicy, they would gain some credibility, rather than the disgust posts like this, & the false research it is based on produce.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 17 March 2016 2:11:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The UN is as wet as water, and has no ability to do anything about anything, except shout out slogans, criticise the West, award the same respect to despots and undemocratic members which rightly belongs only to democracies, and generally acts as if it is a world government. In the interest of saving fresh water, the entire UN cabal should be drowned in sea water.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 17 March 2016 2:14:15 PM
Did you know that the Earth loses a quantity of water equivalent to a small lake to the universe each year?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Thursday, 17 March 2016 3:33:49 PM
I won't use less water at home, I'll use more as I increase my storage capacity but for those in towns there is little incentive to use less as there is usually a minimum 'water rate' charge and if one doesn't use sufficient water to attract additional charges then there is no incentive to save.
Anyway, in the normal scheme of things, water cannot be wasted as nature recycles it, what is wasted is the cost of providing it.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 17 March 2016 3:54:18 PM
Salinity is a measure of salts in soils and is transported with water movement. Large salt deposits are natural features of vast areas of Australia, stored in soils or in salt lakes for example.

Normally, deep roots of native plants absorb most elements of salty water (contained in groundwater below plant root zones). However, with vast vegetation clearance, this has made it easier for salt to rise to the surface and flow through waterways impacting on farms, drinking water and the environment.

http://www.environment.gov.au/water/quality/publications/factsheet-salinity-and-water-quality

With salt interception schemes (for example in South Australia) these schemes divert saline groundwater and drainage water before the water enters waterways. In most cases, a bore and pump system (pumps) the groundwater to a salt management basin some distance from the River Murray.

SA Water manages theses schemes on behalf of the Murray-Darling Basin Management Authority, with other salt interception schemes existing in other states.

Before European settlement, native vegetation helped keep the salt levels in balance. But human activity, especially in the past 100 years, including population growth which have had a huge impact, sees now around 80% of the Murray Darling basin's water now diverted for other use.

https://www.sawater.com.au/community-and-environment/the-river-murray/river-salinity

This is clearly not sustainable - and so I don't know why the U.N links clean water to jobs in this case.
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 17 March 2016 6:08:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy