The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tears in the Fabric of 'Recognition' ?

Tears in the Fabric of 'Recognition' ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
I had a rather acrimonious discussion with a friend last night about a Treaty: after all, she said, the Maori had signed a Treaty with the British in 1840 at Waitangi. Yes, I said, the chiefs of specific 'tribal' groups, for the specific purpose of seeking the protection of the British from the depredations of other Maori. The British were happy to sign in order tov forestall something similar engineered by the French around the Bay of islands, so they got in fist. I wonder how often in history paranoia has driven policy.

So what would be the relevance of a Treaty here in Australia ? Between the Australian government, representing all Australians including Indigenous Australians, and whom ? 'The Elders,' she said. Who are ? Anybody who claims to be one, including people the same age as my kids ? Representing whom ? The people in their 'groups' ? What, 'tribes' ? 'Clans' ? Who, in the 75 % of Indigenous people in cities and large towns, would know which particular group/tribe/clan they were descended from ? What about the overwhelming majority of Indigenous people who either couldn't give a damn about a Treaty, or are actively hostile, both on the 'Right' and on the 'Left' ?

How does a nation organise a Treaty with a part of itself ? Where does it leave Indigenous people who want to have nothing to do with a Treaty ? Will they thereby become less Australian, more 'Indigenous Nation', like it or not ? What impact would this have on their rights as Australians ?

And what on earth would be IN such a Treaty ? Protection from outsiders ? An official ceding of sovereignty (since that's really what the Waitangi Treaty was about) by Indigenous people/groups/tribes/clans/elders to the Crown ?

[TBC]
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 1 April 2016 1:49:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[continued]

The wonderful thing about Silver Bullets is that you don't have to think about what they are made of, and what might be their consequences: after all, their purpose is to make you feel good for a while, until you realise there is nothing in them, they're just more piss and wind, and so you seek for yet another Silver Bullet.

I don't think Indigenous people have generations to sort themselves out: they are already fractured enough, without yet more thought-bubbles to go chasing after, for no particular purpose than to feel better temporarily - at least, some of them, usually the elite 5%. Get on with the business of holding the Indigenous population together and strengthening its solidarity and unity. Back in 1972, when my wife and I were making Aboriginal Flags after work in the factories, that's what we thought they might do. Little did we know .....

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 1 April 2016 1:50:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OTB,

Am I completely obtuse ? Why can't I come up with anything that might be proposed for a Treaty ? Apart from the problems about who a Treaty would be between, the Australian Government representing all Australians and another 'party', and who would represent those other 'parties' and how would they be chosen and by whom, there is this very simple issue:

* what would be the issues covered by a Treaty ? What clauses ?

Land rights ? Tick. Equal rights under Australian law ? Tick. A measure of affirmative action, or positive discrimination ? Tick. Self-determination of 'communities' ? Tick. Funding for many thousands of organisations ? Tick.

Recognition of the rights of Indigenous mainstream graduates to unhindered careers in mainstream organisations, just like other Australians ? Ah, now there's a problem: after all, the racist argument goes, if graduates are Indigenous, they should WANT to work ONLY in Indigenous domains, shouldn't they ?

Well, no, not if they don't want to. As Australians, they're entitled to work anywhere that other Australians work 100 %, if they have similar expertise, aren't they, not just in some piddly 2 %, and out in the sticks ?

Of course, there is a way around that: strong advice to young Indigenous graduates not to tick the box: for Christ's sake, unless you want your career ruined: DON'T TICK THE BOX.

Can anyone think of anything else that should be in a 'Treaty' ? Something that might somehow be of benefit to Indigenous people ?

No, I'm stumped.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 3 April 2016 12:08:33 PM
Each should be given a mirror.

Underneath, "You are looking at the person responsible for your own good, safety and happiness".

or,

"If it is going to be, it has to be me".
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 3 April 2016 12:51:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy