The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Treaty of Ka-may (Botany Bay)

The Treaty of Ka-may (Botany Bay)

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
[continued]

Meanwhile, around one hundred and twenty thousand Indigenous people have been enrolled at some time at universities since 1980. Forty thousand have graduated now. Eighteen thousand will probably be enrolled this year. [A young-adult age-group numbers around eleven thousand]. By 2020, fifty thousand will have graduated. By 2030, more than eighty thousand will have graduated, one in every four Indigenous women in the cities - but bugger-all out in the remote settlements.

Australia's is a relatively open society. So much Indigenous policy seems determined, perhaps unintentionally, to keep it as closed as possible for as many as possible. It is often the enemy of Indigenous people, but it's what many want. Go figure.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 12 February 2016 8:55:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For anybody interested in the ingenuity and artistry of traditional Aboriginal society, there is a fascinating article in today's Australian by Christopher Allen (pp. 14-15, Review) with photos of the most exquisite artifacts, an amazing spear-point collected in the 1820s, a magnificent basket from the Birdsville area, collected in the 1890s.

Aboriginal society may have been technologically primitive but the people often had the most amazing skills, in crating artifacts which had functional and everyday value.

Well recommended :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 13 February 2016 12:38:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think we can correct the "invasion"of Australia.
All people who are not registered today as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders,should be forced to sell up and move back to where they are indigenous.
My ancestors are Londoners.
This agreement should be made by the UN.As when I return to my traditional lands. I would want the people occupying London to be forced to move back to their traditional lands.
Mass Migration is now the norm.
Posted by BROCK, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 4:02:36 PM
Hi Brock,

My ancestors, as far as I can tell, are from all corners of the British Isles, and perhaps a couple of other places. My kids' ancestry would also include Italy and China, as well as the lower Murray here in SA. Which bits go back where ?

I like this place. It's more or less all I've known. Scotland hasn't had enough global warming yet to tempt me back, nor Ireland, nor Wales. Not that I would be there much, since I would be travelling around the world visiting my kids. Would that be allowed ? And maybe long-term stays ?

Apart from that ...... when are you leaving ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 4:25:26 PM
BROCK, I can only assume you are making such a facetious statement to prompt others to disagree. As Joe rightly asked; When are you leaving?

Even the most ardent supporters of Indigenous Australians would never seriously propose such nonsense as to ask almost 24,000,000 other Australians to vacate. Ridiculous, if that is all you have to add to this debate, well... see ya later sunshine!
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 8:20:42 PM
Hi Paul,

"Even the most ardent supporters of Indigenous Australians would never seriously propose such nonsense .... "

You'd be surprised. Even Dame Germaine Greer has selflessly decided not to besmirch herself by staying in Australia with the rest of us convicts and racists. But don't forget that the Kale-and-Soy-Latte set are experts in advocating something which they have no intention of doing themselves.

And of course, there are initiatives that they would not even dare to advocate for fear of somehow being bound to them themselves, such as, say, spending a week or two (around Pension Day) in a remote Aboriginal settlement. There are not many, chatterati or politicians, who would think of doing that. Only one comes to mind.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 17 February 2016 8:07:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy