The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Police response

Police response

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Hi there IS MISE...

You're quite right. Under the Crimes Act 1900 a constable may direct a citizen to render him aid, if he was being assaulted, or in an imminent breach of the peace. I'm not sure if this provision has been repealed or is still to be found in the statute? Our old mate CHRISGAFF1000 would probably know, as he was a former police prosecutor.

I reckon most decent blokes would help a copper if he was getting a real kicking, you don't need to be able to handle yourself, just be prepared to help out in some modest way?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 3 February 2016 7:56:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sounds like you had nothing to blame yourself over either. No pulse at all? How on earth did the coroner determine this the food had any impact whatsoever?

The main thing that I felt guilt over was not realising the policeman was unarmed. It was dark and I was taking my cues from him. I was too hesitant when I went for the other bloke's arm because as I said I had thought the copper was trying to disengage and de-escalate the situation, particularly since he hadn't resorted to baton, spray or even something more lethal. I really didn't want to bugger it up but thought I had to help. Turns out I should have gone in harder, I just didn't think he'd be in uniform but without any standard issue gear. Found out later he was on his way back from a court case in another town.

After realising he was wounded he dialled it in telling them he had been stabbed. I got him to open up his vest and let me have a look while he kept an eye out for the bloke with the knife. I told him he needed to get off his feet and he handed the phone to me, the operator said I needed to make sure the blood was not gushing. Seems if the spleen is punctured then bleeding out is a serious possibility (turned out later it was lacerated), so I took him to the headlights to check, then to the rear seat of his patrol car getting him to lie down. He dialled his wife to tell her what had happened. Meanwhile I'm trying to be as clear as possible about the location to the operator and keep an eye out, but was at a loss with what to do next.

Cont...
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 3 February 2016 10:53:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont...

Cars had kept flying past without stopping when suddenly a ute pulls up and a chap in a jacket leans out and asks me if he could help. I kid you not this is what I asked in return, “Are you a doctor?” The answer? “Yes”. The timing of this fellow was immaculate. Enormous relief.

The cavalry arrived about 3 minutes later and the policeman was on a chopper being airlifted 10 minutes after that. I gave a preliminary statement then went home. It was very sobering to find his blood on my clothes.

Even writing this now I'm getting down on myself for not being immediately aware of what was occurring that night. I felt I was 5 seconds behind on everything and failed to ever fully catch up. If I had been more on the ball at the start I might have help stop at least some of his wounds. Possibly a little irrational but that is how it is.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 3 February 2016 10:54:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some on the forum hold the view "The police can do no wrong." This false notion has been knocked on the head, time and time again. At the moment in NSW two former police officers Roger Rogerson and Glen Mc Namara are facing the most serious of charges, the murder of Jamie Geo a student and drug supplier. Recently we had an inquiry into police bugging st the highest levels within the force. I acknowledge that, the vast majority of police are honest hardworking people doing an excellent job for the community, but that is not to say anyone of them is above reproach and therefore incapable of doing the wrong thing. Given the susceptibility of humans, and police officers are as human as you and I, to at times, do the wrong thing, and the need of the community to have an honest and uncorrupted police force. When serious allegations have been made against officers nothing less than an open, transparent and impartial independent inquire will do, in all these cases police investigating police is unacceptable and should not be tolerated.
In 2014 there was a strong push in Queensland for an independent inquiry into police shootings after 6 people were shot in 8 months. There are numerous examples Australia wide where an open, independent inquiry into police action has been warranted, in the public interest, yet has not been forthcoming.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/25/queensland-police-shootings-to-be-reviewed-after-four-deaths-in-two-months
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 4 February 2016 4:33:28 AM
Paul1405,

I am a strong advocate for accountability. However where causality is concerned and for simple practical reasons, I believe you may barking up the wrong tree demanding that another independent body be set up with the necessary investigation skills and powers of the police.

In the case of the disgusting, infamous offender, Martin Bryant (Port Arthur), who was taken alive but is a good example to consider. The authorities and his treating doctors were well aware before the event of the extreme stress, fixations, blaming and possible (probable!) reactions of a man with marginal IQ. He wasn't mad, but those with marginal IQ require the strong set routine of a sheltered workshop where they can be occupied, observed, counselled and calmed the major part of the day.

However, for dumb-arsed differing ideology and rationalisations both of the major parties stupidly followed the example of their equivalents in the UK and sold off the Commonwealth government's rehabilitation and mental health facilities, forcing mental patients back into the care of already stretched families. Before the sales and divestments there were places for the Bryants and others to be taken by families and police where necessary.

Many are convinced that John Howard was at pains to avoid a Royal Commission or any formal public inquiry into the Port Arthur slayings because it would reflect very badly on government and political decisions and administration. As well there was the problem that the weapon used had been legally handed in to police prior as part of an amnesty.

None of that excuses that noxious grub Bryant, who chose to commit the crimes and made plans to do so. He should rot forever in gaol without the attention the feckless media regularly give him and in so doing risk encouraging a copy-cat one day.

tbc..
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 4 February 2016 7:05:28 AM
contd.

In other jurisdictions and the US is an example, it is recognised that mentally incompetent and mad people along with those suffering from depression make up a sizeable proportion of the offenders police may be forced to kill. Suicide by police bullet is apparent too.

If it is to be believed that police cannot be trusted to investigate police, they surely cannot be trusted to fulfill their normal duties either. However I believe there is abundant, irrefutable evidence that it is very easy indeed to set up and manage independent, rigorous and exhaustive investigation by taking police from different commands, and by having a special unit within the force.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 4 February 2016 7:07:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy