The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Kangaroo in mourning

Kangaroo in mourning

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
A photo in The Australian has caused great interest in the apparent mourning by a buck kangaroo at the death of his mate.
There is much on social media about it.

The photographer, Evan Switzer, reportedly took the picture on a bushland property at Queensland’s River Heads, 230km north of Brisbane.

“I saw the male pick up the female, he looked like he was just trying to get her up and see what was wrong with her,” Switzer told the Daily Mail.

“He would lift her up and she wouldn’t stand she’d just fall to the ground, he’d nudge her, stand besides her … it was a pretty special thing, he was just mourning the loss of his mate.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/dying-kangaroo-photos-are-not-what-they-seem/news-story/9ef181e49fa8a06629642a4706ddb87c

Unfortunately this site doesn't allow for posting photographs or I could post this truly heart rending photo.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 23 January 2016 9:10:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Kangaroo only had one thing in mind and that was to mate with the invail kangaroo.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 23 January 2016 9:39:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Is Mise,

Thank You for sharing this with us.

It just goes to show that we humans are not
the only ones with feelings. That we're just another
creature living on this beautiful planet.

What an exceptional moment.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 23 January 2016 10:25:04 AM
Um, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but zoologists and veterinarians have said the that the male was actually trying to mate with the dying female and was most likely responsible for her fatal injuries. The article linked to in the OP explains this. Apparently male kangaroos can become very violent if their advances are rejected and have been known to kill females that didn’t comply.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/14/photos-grieving-kangaroo-viral-but-scientist-says-sexually-aroused

It's too easy for us to project human emotions onto animals.
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 23 January 2016 11:20:06 AM
Adam Liaw's tweet at the bottom of the article nails it.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 23 January 2016 11:31:27 AM
Whatever the reason(s) were for the male roo to do what he did, mourn the deceased female, or attempt to have his 'way' with her, I wouldn't know? And I would suggest neither does anybody else?

However, as the proud owners of a Labby (M) and a Kelpie (F) both pure bred, they're capable of imparting many puzzling or peculiar looks, expressions, miens, and behaviours, for which we as humans will never truly comprehend? And in doing so these two dogs manage to convey to us at least, some of those great virtues or rectitude's, that are seemingly absent or slowly disappearing in our society today?

Believe me, I reckon I've seen every kind of human depravity, every act and horror that humans can do to one another. Somehow amongst all of that terrible degeneracy, our animals, either domestic or 'ferae naturae' can teach us much, if only we'd watch and learn.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 23 January 2016 1:26:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy