The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Need for inquiry into crimes by refugees

Need for inquiry into crimes by refugees

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Dear Phillip,

Sorry to be a stick in the mud - but I did genuinely
think that even though the stats were old
the article was of value because it dealt with the
history of these trouble spots and the causes that
resulted.

It gave a better understanding to the issues involved.

Still to each their own. Which was done at that time.
Today - it may be a different scenario.

I believe in looking at the bigger picture from all
the angles.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 17 January 2016 6:24:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sudanese crime statistics are a concern now as were those of Vietnamese refugees two decades ago and Italian and Greek before them.

The best indicator is the country of birth records of those in our prisons. As of 2014 Sudanese were markedly over represented at over 700 per 100,000 Sudanese born immigrants.

Here is a graph showing the top 9 compared to the Australian average;
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/4517.0~2014~Main%20Features~Country%20of%20birth~7

While there are of course some caveats, such as country of birth not always representing ethnicity, it does give a crude snapshot.

It should be noted that 4 of the 5 top country of birth nations are Christian and even Vietnam could be considered nominally so when examining the refugee question as religious persecution is a large factor in granting refugee status from that country.

The Sudanese and Samoan rates reflect those of the lowest socio-economic decile of natural born Australians. It should be noted the rate for indigenous Australians is a shameful 1,900 per 100,000.

I'm not adverse to seeing an inquiry into the high Sudanese and Samoan rates but I suspect it may find similar factors of poverty, low school retention rates, and low rates of engagement with the wider community. Properly funded and directed social initiatives do get results. We have accepted the responsibility of looking after these people and we should be doing what it takes to honour that role.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 17 January 2016 7:31:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SteeleRedux - Even though Australian born are a large percentage, I would say the figures need more refining for example Bilal Scaf and his band of rapist are technically Australian but parents are Lebanese and the scumbags in no way assimilated with Australia, there ways were of the Lebanese.

There would be a lot by berth Australians in jail who have no respect for the country but there more aligned to the country of the parents.
Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 17 January 2016 8:59:12 PM
SteeleRedux makes a good point: <<it may find similar factors of poverty, low school retention rates, and low rates of engagement with the wider community. Properly funded and directed social initiatives do get results. We have accepted the responsibility of looking after these people and we should be doing what it takes to honour that role.>>

Philip;<< there ways were of the Lebanese.>> Utter nonsense "Scaf mother Baria worked as a cleaner and an aged care worker and his father Mustapha worked for State Rail in Sydney, gaining a good reputation among his colleagues. It was through his father's reputation that Skaf also found work for State Rail despite having left school at age 14 and gaining convictions for shoplifting and theft. Bilal attended Homebush Boys High School, where he was described as a loose cannon during his early years." Wikipedia

In the case of Ivan Milat, the son of a Croatian emigrant and his Australian wife What made Milat a serial killer, was it his Croatian father or his Australian mother. Martin Bryant, the son of Maurice and Carleen Bryant, two Australians. Maybe Bryant had Irish ancestors or something.

Philip, as for your conspiracy theory that there is some organised cover up with: <<no statistics for the present time indicates what is happening here and in other countries, it is not politically correct to publish what is really happening so as not to alarm the public.>> Again nonsense.

cont
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 18 January 2016 5:00:19 AM
cont

I can speak with first hand knowledge of Maori people, here in Australia and over in NZ, my partner is 100% Maori, another group with a "bad" reputation. Given the opportunities of the average person, Maori are just as hard working, just as law abiding, just as family orientated as anyone else. We have one nephew in jail in NZ for car stealing, left school at 15, no job, hanging about with others of similar standing, drugs and alcohol, now in jail for 3 years. Could just as easily be a white kid. Have a bro just down from Brisbane, half Islander, half Maori, has an Aussie wife who works in daycare, and 3 year old son. He was in trouble as a teenager, now in his 30's working in Sydney as a crane driver $45/hr, his company asked him to transfer, his wife found a job straight away. He has about as much chance of committing crime as I do of flying to the Moon.
Philip what is your experience with minorities?
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 18 January 2016 5:03:49 AM
I know it is impolite and certainly not politically correct but as
far as convictions etc are concerned I think it must be taken unto account.
The IQ of moslems is somewhat lower than non moslems due to their
damaged genome.
If this results in lower employment and less ability generally how do we cope with it ?
Is it a factor in their incarceration ?
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 18 January 2016 7:44:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All