The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Maths a science or human belief system?

Is Maths a science or human belief system?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I must ask my sister-in-law what her view is as she has a PhD in Maths and a lecturer at University teaching teachers of Maths. She has devised several ways of arriving at the same conclusion by using different systems. Maths is a theory of understanding reality.
Posted by Josephus, Thursday, 26 November 2015 7:55:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"In the year 2,000 I had a West Papuan student live with me for six months,"

Well was it really six(whatever that means) months or do you just have faith that it was more that five(whatever that means) months.

And let's not even get started on the total unreality of 'months', 'years' and 2000!
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 26 November 2015 12:45:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze,
Actually it was 5 full moons, as their ancestors knew nothing about months or their Roman names, which is our system of measurement of time. Who said there were 24 hours in a day, why aren't there 100 increments in a period from the furthermost point of the sun shining on us to the next. Yes time is a handy human invention in which we are indoctrinated.
Posted by Josephus, Thursday, 26 November 2015 1:05:11 PM
//Who said there were 24 hours in a day, why aren't there 100 increments in a period from the furthermost point of the sun shining on us to the next. Yes time is a handy human invention in which we are indoctrinated.//

I believe it was the Babylonians who gave us the 24 hour day. They used a base-12 counting system, which is why there are 360 degrees to a circle, 60 minutes to an hour, 24 hours to a day and so forth.

There was a push, at one point, to adopt a metric clock. The metric system was such an improvement over previous systems when it came to currency, weight and length measurement that it seemed obvious to some people that time should be measured similarly, but it never really caught on.

These days a second is defined as the time that elapses during 9,192,631,770 cycles of the radiation produced by the transition between two levels of the Caesium-133 atom. The time it takes for a cycle of the radiation produced by the transition between two levels of the Caesium-133 atom is fixed, which is why it forms the basis for the definition of a second, but the choice of 9,192,631,770 cycles is purely arbitrary - we could make the second longer or shorter by increasing or decreasing the number of cycles used. This would not have the effect of making time pass any faster or slower in your frame of reference. Humans did not invent time, just ways of measuring it.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 26 November 2015 10:09:34 PM
Maths is a human invention, just like any religion or God is.
The humans that wrote the bible believed the earth was flat, but that certainly didn't make it so.
Mind you, I would put my trust in the science of mathematics any day, rather than any belief in invisible gods...
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 27 November 2015 1:19:49 AM
Suseonline,
Well it is a beginning that you believe in the invisible human invention of maths, while still denying their is design in the Universe that can be rationally accepted as deliberately placed there by a designer.
Posted by Josephus, Friday, 27 November 2015 7:25:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy