The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > New Political Party

New Political Party

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
"Australia's first Islamic faith political party intends to field Senate candidates in all states and territories at next year's federal election and also contest upper house seats at state level.

The party, to be announced Tuesday, will be known as the Australian Muslim Party, Fairfax Media can reveal.

Founder Diaa Mohamed defended the timing of the announcement days after the Paris terrorist atrocities, insisting there had never been a more critical time for the Muslim community to have a political voice in Australia.

As a devout Muslim, he said he would never condone the killing of innocents as seen on the streets of Paris and Beirut in the past week but said the Australian Muslim Party would also never support military action in a Muslim country in response to terrorism."
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/3495992/australian-muslim-party-aims-to-contest-federal-and-state-elections/?cs=12

Comments?
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 7:16:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As we have had the Christian Democrats party and the Family First party etc, I doubt anyone can say we can't have a Muslim based party,

Australia is a democratic country, and if we can have mad political groups like One Nation, the Sex party, and the Hunters and Shooters party (or whatever), then surely anything goes?
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 9:54:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We live in a democracy. People are able - and should be able - to form whatever political parties they want. And we, as citizens of this fine democracy, are free to vote for whatever political parties we want.

I can't see the AMP doing well in the House of Representatives, at least not in my seat - it is a very safe Labor seat and I can't see some Muslim upstart changing that.

Senate voting is a bit different; but I vote below the line so that I can decide where my preferences go. Conservative parties get placed towards the bottom; religiously conservative parties even further down. If they stand for the Senate in NSW, they will probably be preferenced below the Liberals and Nationals, but above Family First, Christian Democrats and the DLP - all of whom have a track record for being obnoxious pricks, whereas the AMP will be an unknown quantity. If they demonstrate themselves to be obnoxious pricks then they go into the same basket as the religious right parties.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 17 November 2015 10:37:14 PM
I'm not sure if Democracy and Islam are even compatible, so I think its a little bit laughable, but hey we want them to follow our rules not theirs so we can't complain now can we...

This is where the immigrants start officially telling us what to do in our own country..

Whats that? Oh its been happening for years already, sorry.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 18 November 2015 2:50:22 AM
Get the required 500 names and you've got yourself a political party. Get 10 people elected to a parliament you've got yourself party status. Big Clive tried and failed, Hanson tried and never got to first base. Many have tried, and many have failed. Wait and see, no religious based party will ever get my vote. Might get the 500 names, might get some votes around the Lakemba Mosque but it would take a lot of luck to win a senate seat.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 18 November 2015 4:39:12 AM
the abc will now be divided. Do we back the Islamic party or the Greens/Labour/Turnbull. Hard choice for them. Now their hatred of all things Christian will be divided.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 18 November 2015 8:58:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy