The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Getting a Seniors' party into the Senate

Getting a Seniors' party into the Senate

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
Is there a Seniors' party in the federal electoral system? If not, should there be one?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 1 November 2015 5:56:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"A group of fed-up pensioners are forming a political party to shake things up in Parliament.
They're called the Mature Age Party, and they want a voice for senior Australians."

Being a member of The Greens maybe I shouldn't be giving a heads up to a rival political party but what the heck;

http://themap.org.au/
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 2 November 2015 9:34:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, when groups feel that the "normal" political scene ignores
their interests it is natural to shout a bit louder.
One way they do this is forming single issue political parties.
A very proper thing to do, but as the economy tightens there is a
tendency for such parties to proliferate.

As it is easier to get minor parties into the senate that is the path they go.
This does increase the difficulty for government to get legislation
through the senate.

So it is a mixed blessing but probably a necessity.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 2 November 2015 10:39:15 AM
From what I have seen on a couple of pensioner/self funded retirees sites I have tried, their only interest is in sticking their hand even deeper into the pocket of the few we still have earning their own living. Between many pensioners & the dole bludgers the handout mentality is thriving. As a pensioner myself, I'm horrified at the huge expectation so many have.

What we need is a reduction in spending, not an increase in taxes that will only be wasted on greasing noisy wheels, academia, quangos, the welfare lobby, or mates in high places.

The last thing we should be doing is giving more money to any level of government. I am much more capable of deciding on what & where my money should be spent, than any bureaucrat.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 2 November 2015 11:31:54 AM
I am not a senior since I am not in a hierarchy. I am an old man of 90. I am concerned with the environment, with uncontrolled population growth, with the unequal division of resources, the separation of religion and state, the militarisation of society, the arms trade, corporate control and the decline in civility much more than I am concerned with being an old man. I will die, and my descendants will eventually follow me. If we live long enough we become old. I see no need for parties based on age, ethnicity or religion. A party based on age could be the beginning of an Australia splitting into parties based on divisive special interests. We have enough of that now. An old people's party is something I do not want and would not join.
Posted by david f, Monday, 2 November 2015 11:38:15 AM
Thanks for your comments.

I think a Seniors' rep in the Senate is a must.

Don't worry about the government not being able to afford the cost of extra services that would be demanded by a Seniors' party that would be representing a huge majority drawn from people aged 55 and above.

The government can simply do what it is doing now: keep increasing the number of wealthy Chinese immigrants to keep the economy afloat. So why shouldn't seniors have a good bite of the apple instead of accepting a position as underdogs who have to go without for an Australia that does not even exist as a nation anymore?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 2 November 2015 12:16:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy