The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Book Review:

Book Review:

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Hi JAY of MELBOURNE & SUSEONLINE...

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties confronting your brother with his mental illness, and for your family who have to share that burden with him ?

SUSEONLINE, do you remember the old 'Admission Centres' we had in our major Psychiatric Hospitals ? If police picked up an individual who clearly displayed aberrant behaviour or, had an intent to harm themselves, and who weren't detained for a crime, we could convey them to the 'Admission Centre' where they were subsequently assessed by a Psychiatrist, and held if necessary ?

Furthermore the State operated large public Psychiatric Hospitals, where many of the folk who were unable to live in the community were appropriately cared for, and safely housed. Regrettably, many of these poor buggers were ditched by their families because they didn't wish to shoulder the responsibility for their safety and ongoing care. Even young children, and youths were completely disavowed by their parents, because of their abnormal behaviour, their grotesque or daunting appearance or both, sadly ! I've taken such patients, to either Peat or Milson Islands situated in the Hawksbury River, near Brooklyn, not far from Sydney.

For a supposed, (insensitive) copper, it broke your heart to see these poor, often grossly deformed, mentally ill young, human beings completely abandoned by literally everybody ! And who's only crime was being born ! Yet the government of the day was more interested in throwing more of the tax payers money, at those criminal maggots out at Long Bay Gaol, rather than trying to do more for the profoundly mentally ill souls, ensconced in Institutions like Peat & Milson Islands.

Though out of sight and out of mind, the nursing staff thereat were brilliant, absolutely brilliant ! With the care and affection they constantly bestowed on those poor lonely souls interned there ! Yet their names never seemed to feature in any of the New Years Honours List ? That seemed to be the sole province of our much admired politicians and high ranking bureaucrats ?
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 3 October 2015 1:51:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Roscop,

"...I'm interested in learning what makes her a "domestic violence expert"...I'm still trying to find the answer."

Can you direct me to the statement where Rosie Batty claims to be a "domestic violence expert"?

"Rosie Battie is also an expert on offshore detention centres...."

Can you direct me to the statement where Rosie Batty claims to be an "expert on offshore detention".

Thanks.

"She is making something positive happen.." Well on that I'd have to agree...she has even got Mark Latham and Miranda Devine speaking about what she is doing."

Latham and especially Devine appear to get their jollies in direct proportion to the amount of outrage they can engender in the community...they're a pair of attention seeking hacks who have nothing of substance to offer, and who's only spur is their own publicity. It's not surprising that that they target Batty.

Why target Batty, who's speaking up on domestic violence?

Climate scientist, Michael Mann, coined the phrase the "Serengeti Strategy" - where a high profile person is isolated from the herd and mercilessly targeted for derision by those with an axe to grind. He coined such a phrase in response to his own experience with climate deniers.

Those in hot pursuit of Rosie batty are engaging in precisely that strategy.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 4 October 2015 11:00:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot "Those in hot pursuit of Rosie batty are engaging in precisely that strategy."

Indeed, and they all have a case of 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' where their jealousy of someone else (especially a mere female who dares to speak out publicly) inflames their already poor opinions of themselves.

I guess I should feel sorry for people who have the need to put others down so they can feel better about themselves, but I just can't.
Especially those who feel the need to put down someone like Rosie who has had her son bashed to death, in front of her and other kids, by his father in one of the worst domestic violence incidents I can imagine.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 4 October 2015 11:48:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Poirot @Suseonline

The question asked is “Can you direct me to the statement where Rosie Batty claims to be a "domestic violence expert"?’” Yes I most certainly can…she declared herself an expert at the National Press Club whilst responding with a lot of mumbo jumbo, to this question:

Ron Aggs from Fairfax Media: “… to solve the whole problem… should we discuss equally violence by women against men; parent against child; child against parent; and within same-sex relationships? Shouldn’t we all be trying to address and report all violence within family relationships?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-03/national-press-club-rosie-batty/6519236

(Tip: Go to around the 58th minute into the video)
Posted by Roscop, Sunday, 4 October 2015 6:00:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy