The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Stamp Out Animal Cruelty, Start With Greyhound Racing.

Stamp Out Animal Cruelty, Start With Greyhound Racing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It has been well known for a long time now that those engaged in the so called sport of greyhound racing indulge in animal cruelty on a massive scale. The full extent of this disgusting cruelty has only this week been publicly revealed at the NSW inquiry into greyhound racing, the revelations are shocking. It has been said that as many as 17,000 greyhounds are killed in Australia each year for no other reason than they are considered too slow for the track, this represents up to 96% of greyhounds born each year/. Just as shocking is the revelation that 9 out of 10 trainers are using, or have used live animals such as rabbits, possums and piglets to blood their dogs!
To compound the criminality of the business is the claim that the controlling bodies of greyhound racing in Australia such as Greyhound Racing NSW has been complicit in hiding the extent of the crime. These industry regulators (insiders), whilst publicly claiming “animal welfare” is paramount to them, have been exposed for what they are, people who engage in secretiveness in an attempt to hide the unspeakable acts of cruelty which the majority of the business employs.
Enough is enough, and hopefully government will act shortly to stamp out what is a blight on society, and that’s all greyhound racing is, a disgusting blight
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 1 October 2015 5:49:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So you want to join with these despicable greyhound trainers killing spree and kill off the other 20,000 odd greyhounds left.
Seems a bit odd to me.
Oh oh they kill lots of dogs every year so lets stop the cruelty and kill them all?
Sounds like those seppoes in Vietnam. We had to destroy their town to save it.

Dont ban it fix it.
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 1 October 2015 10:48:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is the business fixable, or is it simply beyond repair. How many chances should greyhound racing be given to self repair. The forced sale of dog tracks alone would net enough cash to keep the 20,000 unwanted surviving dogs in the lap of luxury.
Complicit in all this is all of us who have benefited from the gambling dollars this and other forms of animal racing has generated.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 1 October 2015 11:15:25 AM
Oh god, Paul has found another mob he can act as dictate to, & try to enforce his opinions upon. I wonder how much exaggeration there is in his figures. Could it be 50%? Being a greenie, it is more likely 90%.

The one thing you have to give greenies, they don't ever let facts or truth get in the way of good propaganda, & the chance to force their ideas on others.

The greyhound industry is having a major push to find homes for slow greyhounds. Try doing something real for a change Paul, & adopt a few. A mate of mine did, his problem is they love to run & to chase, & there is not much opportunity for that in the city. He brought his out here for a run in some open space.

The only problem was the mob of roos down in the river paddock. They were mostly hidden in the very long grass, but when one started hopping, the chase instinct fired, & it was hard to believe this greyhound was slow.

They are not interested in catching if well fed, it is the chase they enjoy. Each time it almost caught up to one, it switched target to another. A whippet pet we had was the same, not interested in catching anything but snakes. Watch out greenies!

If the man from snowy river's horse could scarcely raise a trot he must have been a piker. This greyhound could scarcely raise a walk. Still he'd had fun, & the roos appeared to be laughing at him, as they watched him helped into the ute.

I am totally disinterested in greyhound racing, or horse racing for that matter, but not as much as I am in these inner city would be dictators trying to force their will on everyone.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 1 October 2015 11:35:48 AM
This looks like another greenie led knee jerk response, similar to Juliar's infamous stopping of the live cattle trade to Indonesia, causing massive damage to the relationship, to farmers in Aus and to poorer Indonesians whose food price jumped.

If something is broken you fix it. If someone breaks the law you fine or jail them, collective punishment is something that went out with communism.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 1 October 2015 1:54:07 PM
G'day there HASBEEN & PAUL1405...

Strange as it may seem I support two opposing views here, that of PAUL1405's and HASBEEN'S ?

I come to the subject from an entirely different position, that of cruelty and endemic corruption. That said, if the authorities could only clean up the industry...absolutely, AND get rid of all the crooks that regularly permeate Greyhound tracks ? I think a lot of the 'live baiting' that continues to flourish unabated, may well be a thing of the past ?

I've spent many a night (on duty) at Harold Park Dogs over the years, and a colleague of mine once remarked '...there were as many crooks present there, as there are at 'The Bay'...' ! Never a truer word spoken ? For some inexplicable reason, Dog racing seems to attract the Sydney criminal element more so than either the Trots or traditional Horse racing ? Why I have no idea.

It does need an exhaustive, even a 'massive' clean-out at all levels, including the Administration. Will it happen, of course not ! No doubt there'll be a few cosmetic changes, some mild sabre rattling, a lot of meetings, and a lot of talk. However in 15 or 20 years hence, we'll all be calling (again) for more stringent action to take place once more, all for exactly the same reason, cruelty and corruption within the industry ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 1 October 2015 1:55:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Enough is enough, and hopefully government will act shortly to stamp out what is a blight on society, and that’s all greyhound racing is, a disgusting blight//

Greyhound racing is okay. Animal cruelty is a disgusting blight on society. My mate has a dog which is half greyhound, and it loves to run. I think full-blood greyhounds probably do too. They probably think racing is tremendous fun.

But the culling of dogs that are 'too slow' is abhorrent. Just introduce different divisions, with slower dogs being raced together. As long as they're fairly evenly matched then you still run a decent book, and nobody needs to lose out. In fact, with more races being run to accommodate the slow dogs everybody stands to gain.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 1 October 2015 2:56:13 PM
Well at least greyhounds have more rights than unborn children.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 1 October 2015 3:22:40 PM
//Well at least greyhounds have more rights than unborn children.//

So they should. Greyhounds can fetch slippers and newspapers, do cute tricks, protect your property, feed a Korean family, make a valuable contribution to the economy through racing and much more besides. What can unborn children do? Nothing. Unborn children don't deserve any more rights until the lazy little bludgers start pulling their own weight.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 1 October 2015 3:36:13 PM
Hassy, to set you straight;

The Honourable Michael McHugh AC QC is appointed by Letters Patent issued in the name of the Governor of New South Wales on 6 May 2015 to inquire into the Greyhound Racing Industry in NSW.

The Commissioner is assisted by Stephen Rushton SC, David Kell of Counsel and the Crown Solicitor.

The Commissioner is required to report to the Governor on the Special Commission of Inquiry before 31 March 2016.

Public hearings of the Commission will commence at 10am on Monday 28 September 2015 to Friday 2 October 2015 in Courtroom 3.3 of the Industrial Relations Commission building at 47 Bridge St Sydney NSW 2000.

As for your claim that its the greenies, I do not believe any of the fore-mentioned persons are members of the Greens, nor is the Premier or Governor of NSW.

"The greyhound industry is having a major push to find homes for slow greyhounds" all I can say to that BS is ROTFLMFAO!

"Paul, & adopt a few" so the greedy grubs who exist in the world that is greyhound racing can continue on their merry disgusting way. I don't think so.

SM, are you saying the exhaustive inquiry being conducted in NSW at the moment is another greenie led knee jerk response.

o sung wu, on a good night the Dapto dogs would be lucky to attract 200 die hards, including the crooks and spivs.

Toni, they have already got the slow ones running around the bush for a cracker in prize money
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 1 October 2015 8:21:41 PM
' Unborn children don't deserve any more rights until the lazy little bludgers start pulling their own weight.'

people obviously tolerate you Tony. You ought to thankful that you have not received what you deserve at least not yet.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 1 October 2015 10:28:27 PM
Good evening PAUL1405...

If the Dapto Doggies attracted around 200 on a good night, you can be assured most of those 200 odd, would be ex-crims or local gangsters trying to earn a buck or two !
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 1 October 2015 10:29:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Myth busting time! "Greyhounds love to race!" A total nonce perpetuated by low life grubs who love greyhounds to race!

Greyhounds may be fast dogs, but this doesn’t mean they’re happy in the racing business. In fact, many dogs live a life of deprivation in kennels – kept in pens or crates for up to 23 hours a day. Not to mention those who are injured and/or killed on the racetrack. Greyhounds love to RUN – not race. They also love to play, sleep, cuddle and be loved for who they are – just like any other dog.

The greyhounds who do make it to the race track are put at significant risk of sustaining serious injuries, such as broken bones, hocks and legs, or head trauma, during training and racing. Up to 200 dogs are reported as seriously injured during official races each week. That does not include the many hundreds that sustain unreported "minor" injuries such as torn muscles, cuts and bruisers. Some greyhounds even die from cardiac arrest due to the extreme physical intensity of racing. On many occasions the injuries are 'uneconomical' to treat and the owner will instead have the dog killed. On average around 5 dogs are killed at official races each week as a result of greyhound racing.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 2 October 2015 5:49:51 AM
I agree with you, Paul.
I cannot see how greyhound racing can continue given the current revelations, nor should it; the cruelty is endemic.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 3 October 2015 12:10:35 PM
Welcome aboard Is Mise, good to see we can agree on something. Fortunately I believe greyhound racing is in its death throes in Australia, as it is in the US where its illegal in 39 states, more than half the tracks there have closed in the past decade. It's only the die-hard's fighting a rear guard action that keep it going here, like so many poor greyhounds, the game needs to be put out of its misery, the sooner the better.
The business likes to falsely present an image that those involved are all wonderful people who believe the welfare of the dogs in their care is paramount. There is never any mention of the likes of Zeke Kadir who faces a total of 29 charges including 11 of serious animal cruelty and 13 of using an animal as a lure to blood a greyhound.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-01/greyhound-trainers-face-more-than-50-animal-cruelty-charges/6587870
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 3 October 2015 2:07:13 PM
Hi there IS MISE & PAUL1405...

Unfortunately there are no such words to be found within our vocabulary like; cruelty, corruption and ethics, whenever human greed, and filthy lucre seeks to transcend us all ? There's nothing fundamentally wrong with dog racing, as long as the rules are strictly mandated and punctiliously enforced !
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 3 October 2015 2:24:27 PM
If we are sincere in stamping out human cruelty to animals we would have to become vegetarians and no longer raise animals to eat them. We would not prevent mozzies from getting a bit of our blood. We would not keep dogs and cats as pets. In so doing, we harbour creatures that prey on the wildlife around them. We would not use antibiotics as those medicines stamp out untold lives of microscopic creatures. We would live in close quarters as one of the chief contributors to the elimination of wildlife is the destruction of habitat. In fact, due consideration of our destructiveness to other species would entail our elimination. However, there are many parasites and microbes that have evolved to be dependent on us as hosts and would become extinct along with us. Our vast herds of sheep and cattle would starve or become prey. What a dilemma. To be or not to be.
Posted by david f, Saturday, 3 October 2015 6:30:16 PM
Dear Paul,

I agree that there is a problem and I believe that greyhound racing, along with the ensuing treatment of "slow" greyhounds, is sinful - one sin among so many that are indeed prevalent in society.

But who is to decide what is sinful? Myself? Runner? Perhaps the United-Nations (which deliberately withdrew out of Rwanda in order to allow the genocide there)?

Of all wise men and women in the land, you seem to suggest that it be the task of government to decide on matters of good and evil - those very corrupt people which unashamedly control that same violent body that was born in sin, the state.

By entrusting moral authority with these people, only because they may happen to agree with you (and me) in this one instance concerning greyhounds, you make a big mistake. Today it is greyhounds - but tomorrow it may be something else, perhaps one of the things that is most personally dear to you which they are going to ban, something you cannot live without or do not consider life worth living without. What will you say then? That they are moral and wise enough to decide on the matter of greyhounds, but not so on the matter that is so dear to yourself?

Nay, such matters, condemned as they should be, should be left in the social arena, rather than the criminal. I do recommend that decent people do not befriend or deal with those who are involved with greyhound racing. This could include not selling or buying anything to/from them, not employing them, not saving them when their house burns down, not allowing your children to play with theirs, not allowing your daughter to marry in their family, etc. Unlike the brutality of the state, this kind of popular pressure is moral and welcome.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 4 October 2015 12:01:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy