The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Retail and hospitality workers have a choice

Retail and hospitality workers have a choice

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Mikk, there's no immediate plan to reduce P Rates for government and essential services, the likes of nurses deserve every penny in OT rates they get. But, when Sunday rates means the business owner often looses money we have a problem and by simply doing the sums blind Freddie can see that. Now if someone wants to challenge that il be happy to provide an example.

Of cause the other big issue is that of how many casuals are rostered. I believe it's now mandatory to advise a casual of their finishing time when they start. That's fine provided the customers works with the same rules, which they don't.

The sooner people accept that we need to head towards somewhere between the US system fir hospitality, and where we are, many small businesses will hit the wall. Don't believe me, google search free restaurant for lease and see how many you find where owners have walked out, many having lost everything.

Consumers will have a few choices, one, stay with what we have and loose, two, get used to auto coffee machine brewed late's, or three, allow for reduced wages and allow premium staff to be rewarded by customers for a job well done.

As for expecting an unskilled 38 hr week job to provide the means of buying a house, well, that's why we're in such a mess in the first place because to have a decent lifestyle require either brains or brawn. So unless you have the brains to pull a five figure income, then it's off to work you go, and go, and go. It worked for me.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 4 August 2015 8:29:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is this simply about the rich being able to get their coffee latte on a Sunday from one of their 16 favorite cafes. No! This is about Abbott trying to reintroduce by the backdoor one of his sinister old chestnuts 'Work (No) Choices'! The ACTU rightly points out that the Productivity Commission Inquiry was called by the Abbott Government in order to cut penalty rates, the minimum wage and rights at work – the interim report confirms that.
If Abbott wants to take this and his other planned attacks on workers rights to an election, then all I can say is bring it on!

http://www.actu.org.au/actu-media/media-releases/2015/productivity-commission-report-attacks-penalty-rates-minimum-wage-and-rights-at-work
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 5 August 2015 6:25:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When you dismiss someone for being dishonest, under who's judgement did you get your information from. We have law courts for that.

That is why the changes from this chap will never happen. The laws are already in place.

We can't change laws so employers can take advantage of wording.

I am afraid this bloke is going to miss out on his wish.

When Abbott commissioned these inquiries he was living his dream.

Work choices failed miserably, best to take it to an election.
Posted by doog, Wednesday, 5 August 2015 10:17:16 AM
Sundays are no different from any other day of the week in Australia. There is no longer a "day of rest" where people took it easy and went to church. In fact, most Australians openly sneer about the old meaning of Sunday; but the same greedy buggers expect to be paid more for working on just another day that has no meaning to them, spiritually or otherwise. They can't have it both ways.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 5 August 2015 12:09:12 PM
Yes ttbn, people often overlook one very important factor, that being wages, along with all costs must be affordable and, give most have slashed their food costs to the absolute bone there is no room left to low this cost. Something has to give to save hospitality or we face being a nation with high wages and no jobs to earn them.

Having been in retail my entire working life an analogy I often use today is that while we used to pick our money up with a shovel we now use a landing net and most of it falls though the holes. Hospitality is even worse because if you struggle to make money from $8 per egg you know there's a problem.

It only stands to reason that if a caffee made $100,000 a year profit ten years ago, then why shouldn't it make say $180K today as a minimum and that's simply not the case.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 5 August 2015 8:04:10 PM
Mhhh 80% increase
how much has min wage gone up in 10 years 7% bit greedy
and as a cost to business over last 10 years your saying wages are the problem ?
I would be looking closer at
rent <--- probably doubled
utilities<---- 1000% ?
taxes <-- Depends on what taxes we have this week,not much confidence here
all 3 in a market out of control
I would take it further 25 years of prosperity in Australia Please no more I and many can't afford anymore growth, who has this really gained, and when the crash comes how many mum's and dad's will be hurt, The System is broken apply patch's like you ask for are only going to make it worse.
Posted by Aussieboy, Wednesday, 5 August 2015 8:26:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy