The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Fiduciary Responsibility and Conflict of Interest

Fiduciary Responsibility and Conflict of Interest

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Dear Doog,

It will be interesting to see what the wording is,
and whether it is accepted or rejected in the
Senate by a majority and why.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 20 July 2015 10:28:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The day those unions and 'their' men on building sites show due care for the quality of construction I will walk to the Gulf - along with thousands of others.

The same applies to home construction.

In both, the Australian Standards, Building Code and manufacturers' use and installation guides are seen as hindrances and cost-cutting is quickly hidden behind cladding and the ubiquitous silastic gun is the tradies' best friend.

Why have Standards if they are not the obligatory minimum throughout Australia, no argument?

Yesterday I was at a reception at a major university and noted as we walked the final metres past relatively new buildings how the exterior of one and its concrete steps and landscaping had large cracks and shedding chunks, exposing the rusting reinforcing. Someone had applied concrete repair over some and the ends of the reo were still protruding.

You even hear of balconies collapsing. Anyone foolish enough to lean on a balustrade? Check the routine (mis)use of incompatible metals and anchors set in tiles and compressed sheeting, but not into the structure below.

There are many hundreds of young, skilled tradespeople in Ireland, Germany and northern Europe - where builders are capable of constructing weather-proof and strong - who would migrate to Australia if they were encouraged.

BUT NO, feckless Australian governments and particularly the recent Gillard+Green circus, HAVE to take in prospects from s'holes like Afghanistan to join the Centrelink queues. It is all about the 'diversity-Australia-has-to-have', extremist multicultural policies, you know.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 20 July 2015 11:54:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with your opening submission 'SHADOW MINISTER', where you draw a comparison with a Office Holder has a clear responsibility to act entirely for the benefit of those for whom he represents. To do otherwise amounts to a fraud, perhaps not in the true criminal sense, certainly morally at least.

All my working life I've noticed how 'close to the edge' some union officials act in many instances, unfortunately some venture over that invisible line, between doing what's right, or engaging in wrongdoing. Certain officials of the Health Workers Union (whatever they're called?) have sullied not only their own reputations, but have cheated their membership out of their hard earned dollars ? A reprehensible act in my opinion ! Even my own Association, has had allegations made against some of it's officials ?

I've no idea if Mr SHORTIN has a case to answer ? If he has, then prosecute him. These Royal Commissions, Judicial Inquiries, all should be held in camera. Because when a witness is named during proceedings, if innocent their good fame and reputation are besmirched for all time. If guilty, they can claim 'trial by media', therefore they may seek greater judicial forbearance, if otherwise they were initially unnamed during the progression of the Royal Commission.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 20 July 2015 3:31:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy