The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Family Violence Royal Commission a Hearing?

Is Family Violence Royal Commission a Hearing?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Domestic violence has been in existence for a very long time, and is just as likely to happen within a supposedly happy, middle to upper class household as it is in amongst lower socioeconomic homes, so don't pretend it doesn't happen in 'normal' family homes.

Runner, your holier than all scolding of the evils of today's naughty families is all rubbish. The amount of domestic violence years ago just was never reported as it is today. When speaking to many elderly people, as I do in my job, they often talk of the 'beltings' they and their mothers received at the hands of their drunken father's when they were young. And they were predominantly white, Christian families.

Before condemning this Royal Commission into Domestic Violence outright, why not wait and see what they come up with? Surely even a small improvement in what is currently happening out there in the suburbs would be worth waiting for?

The same process was used for child sexual abuse, and that has led to some previously unknown paedophiles to be brought to justice, and allowed many damaged people to finally have their say.
I think it is a good idea to have this Royal Commission.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 14 July 2015 6:09:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suseonline, "Domestic violence ..is just as likely to happen within a supposedly happy, middle to upper class household as it is in amongst lower socioeconomic homes, so don't pretend it doesn't happen in 'normal' family homes"

Horses' apples. Where is your evidence?

Don't you say you are involved in community health and affecting indigenous and migrants?

Do you say that Indigenous women have the same incidence of domestic violence and DV resulting in death as other women?

Of course differences might be expected among different socio-economic groups, different ethnicities and so on.

What is needed is a move away from the discredited feminist concentration on gender.

Your ideology would ensure that resources are not allocated where they are needed.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 14 July 2015 6:58:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OTB, I would say there have been more non-indigenous women killed in domestic violence incidents than indigenous, purely because the non-indigenous population is much larger.
Or, maybe we just don't hear about the indigenous women's deaths?

In any case, I refuse to trawl through the mostly unhelpful statistics on domestic violence deaths again to prove my valid points, but you go right ahead and prove me wrong if you like. Knock yourself out.

Those darn feminists!
What would you would have to whine about if it wasn't for them.....
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 15 July 2015 1:40:36 AM
'In any case, I refuse to trawl through the mostly unhelpful statistics on domestic violence deaths again to prove my valid points'

no Susie because simply it would show how dishonest your dogmas and conclusions are.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 15 July 2015 10:27:50 AM
• The effects of family violence are broad, impacting on the individual experiencing abuse, children who are exposed to the violence and the wider community.
• Indigenous women are 45 times more likely to experience family and domestic violence compared to non-Indigenous women and make up 50% of Australia’s domestic and family violence victims (Ferrante, 1996).
• Women with disabilities, like their non-disabled counterparts are wives, girlfriends, daughters, sisters, lovers, carers and mothers and ‘regardless of age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or class, women with disabilities are assaulted, raped and abused at a rate of at least two times greater than non-disabled women (WWDA, 1998).
• Women who are from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds face a range of complex issues. Their needs are complex due to the different reasons for their arrival in Australia, the different experiences they have had prior to their arrival and their varying levels of cultural adaptation to their new country. They are susceptible to isolation and therefore particularly vulnerable to family and domestic violence.
• Older women, homosexual women, women who suffer from substance abuse, homeless women, young women and the children of these women are all groups of special need. Domestic and family violence has detrimental physical, psychological and financial consequences for both individuals and the wider community.

Everything you find says who is most likely to be involved in family violence: but it does not say what causes family violence to arise.
Posted by doog, Wednesday, 15 July 2015 10:40:56 AM
Here we go...ho hum...

Another runner two-line run-by ad hominem.

Suse's dogmas are "dishonest" - as are her conclusions.

.....according to runner.

Who "never" includes an an argument in his posts.

Who always jumps onto OLO merely to insult and impugn his opponents.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 15 July 2015 10:45:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy