The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Trends in crime

Trends in crime

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Driving home today I hear that the son of Phil Walsh appears to be suspected of his murder. It prompted me to have a look at the age patterns of offenders in crimes. What I wanted to find was the age at first known offence, I've not found that bit yet. I did find an interesting coverage of some of the patterns about offenders (and suspected offenders) at http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/facts/1-20/2011/4_offender.html

Firstly, I'm not trying to get into a gender war. It's pretty clear that for crimes coming to the attention of the police male crime rates far outweigh female crime rates.

Some points that stuck out to me and which I though might be interesting topics for discussion.

- "offending by people aged 15-19 years rose from 6,556 to 6,751 per 100,000 population in 2009–10" compared to "2009–10, persons aged over 25 years offended at a rate of 1,081 per 100,000 population".
- "The rate of male offending is at an all-time low at 2,769 per 100,000 male population in 2009–10"
- Compared with 1996–97 rates, juvenile offending for both males and females has increased. Male offending has increased by four percent from 6,288 per 100,000 juvenile male population in 1996–97 to 6,521 per 100,000 in 2009–10. Significantly, while they remain less likely to offend, the rate of offending for female juvenile offenders increased by 67 percent from 1,528 to 2,546 per 100,000 juvenile female population from 1996–97 to 2009–10
- "The rate of juveniles committing assaults has risen by 67 percent since 1996–97—from a rate of 459 per 100,000 juvenile population to the current rate of 768 per 100,000 juvenile population in 2009–10"

There are other factors not included in that report that would be interesting to put into the mix, if someone knows a government source that has a better coverage please add it to the mix.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 3 July 2015 4:35:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think the rate of detection of offences has gone up significantly in that time period too, you'd have to look at those figures over time too Robert. I'd have to say that anecdotally youth crime is a lot less severe than it was in the 1980's when I was a teenager, it's just that it's easier to detect and investigate crimes these days so fewer people are getting away with their misdemeanours than did in the past.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Saturday, 4 July 2015 12:59:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I know of two recent incidents locally involving indigenous teens where the police did not take action against the offenders. One offender who said he was intent on robbery was discovered in the evening hiding in the bedroom of the teen-aged daughter. Another who had stolen a car after breaking into a home was apprehended suburbs away.

It is not unusual to hear of young thugs, street kids, mugging school students and other youth in the vicinity of places frequented by them, such as the Maccas in the cbd. Difficult to police and not worth court proceedings.

Abuse and worse of elders on or near public transport, or driving themselves, is commonplace, but there are no arrests.

Travelling about the country (4X4) as I do, coming across vandalism of rest area facilities and evidence of people relieving themselves in the immediate vicinity is usual. Theft from travellers is not uncommon, even in caravan parks. Such behaviour was practically unknown up until recent generations.

I would especially like some honest reporting of gang crime. Drug crime is rife as are the gang offences associated with trafficking, but the arrest and conviction statistics do not necessarily reflect what is obvious on the street.

I would like to be assured that the crime statistics are not massaged and when comparing the present with (say) twenty years ago the authorities are comparing apples with apples.
Posted by onthebeach, Saturday, 4 July 2015 1:27:40 PM
yep the no smacking/discipline brigade has produced numerous self centred druggies who think the world revolves around them. Congratulations.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 4 July 2015 2:02:59 PM
I hope that if one good thing comes out of this awful crime is that this Government reconsiders the ever decreasing money and resources it spends on domestic violence, drug abuse and mental health.

Unless they take these issues more seriously and throw more resources, not less, at them, we will continue to mourn the loss of people like Mr. Walsh.

The fall out on his family, community, the football world and society in general is just too awful to ignore, just as it is for all victims of domestic violence.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 4 July 2015 2:36:28 PM
Jay, if your point is valid then the different directions for crime rates across age brackets are even more interesting.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 6 July 2015 5:36:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy